Gender and Transfer Statistics POLL Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gender and Transfer Statistics

Poll ended at Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 am

Male, top 2%
27%
Female, top 2%
17%
Male, top 5%
7%
Female, top 5%
3%
Male, top 10%
23%
Female, top 10%
7%
Male, top 25%
7%
Female, top 25%
3%
Male, lower than top 25%
3%
Female, lower than top 25%
3%

Total votes: 30

candytex

New

Gender and Transfer Statistics POLL

Post by candytex » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am

If you are applying to transfer, please fill out this poll with the option that best applies to you. I am curious about these statistics...

dpk711

Silver

Re: Gender and Transfer Statistics POLL

Post by dpk711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:29 am

purpose of this?

candytex

New

Post by candytex » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33 am

A couple things... it will gather data to see a little about how gender comes into play with rankings and it might also show if there is a gender difference in the pool of transfer applicants...

i know, for one thing, that polls about studying abroad show females are more likely to study abroad. i am just curious to see if there are any trends.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am

candytex wrote:A couple things... it will gather data to see a little about how gender comes into play with rankings and it might also show if there is a gender difference in the pool of transfer applicants...

i know, for one thing, that polls about studying abroad show females are more likely to study abroad. i am just curious to see if there are any trends.
How do you know TLS is a representative sample?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am

concurrent fork wrote:
candytex wrote:A couple things... it will gather data to see a little about how gender comes into play with rankings and it might also show if there is a gender difference in the pool of transfer applicants...

How do you know TLS is a representative sample size?
Same thing I was thinking. I have a feeling that male law students may overrepresented here on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

candytex

New

Post by candytex » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am

dpk711 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

How do you know TLS is a representative sample size?
Same thing I was thinking. I have a feeling that male law students may overrepresented here on TLS.
I don't know if it necessarily is the best sample set as you both suggest, but my hunch is that more men apply to transfer for a couple reasons (more men in law school and men perform better in law school). Before I get an outcry on this hunch, let me clarify that I am a female. I did extremely well at my school, but, as far as I know, the only students who ranked higher than me were men. So I am curious to get some general ideas here about gender and rankings... I am sure there are some females on here who may have been #1 at their school and that is AWESOME for them but I just do not know if that is the norm... Maybe it is just my school... these are all things I do not know, so the poll is just for my own experimental purposes.

I also wanted to conduct this poll because I am looking to transfer to NYU and when i noticed the statistics for the NYU student body I saw that about 58% of the student body is male... I do not know if this is normal (I think my law school is more like 53%) but I also wanted to see if there is a gender difference in the transfer applicant pool.

Maybe being a female who did well will play in my favor... maybe I am optimistic... which gives rise to another question: do law schools consider gender in transferring? I really do not know much about how gender comes into play in the initial application process... anyone with information on this, please feel free to share.

I agree that perhaps more men use this forum so you cannot really draw accurate numbers here. Maybe assumptions shouldn't be made. If that's the case then you can just treat this as a poll that gathers information about the students on this forum generally and nothing more.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

candytex

New

Post by candytex » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 am

Jessuf wrote:
candytex wrote: I don't know if it necessarily is the best sample set as you both suggest, but my hunch is that more men apply to transfer for a couple reasons (more men in law school and men perform better in law school).
I am female too. At my school, everyone in the top 2% is female except for one guy. Also, the 1L class's male to female ratio is 56/44.
Great! That is good information. I was trying to see if my school was the norm or if the trend I noticed was just particular to my school's student body. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”