Top 10 percent at Chapman Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Teoeo

Silver

Top 10 percent at Chapman

Post by Teoeo » Thu May 24, 2012 9:19 pm

My friend is top 10 percent at Chapman, what transfer options are possible? Thanks for the input.

Edit:

Second Question: Assuming her choices are between being top 10% at Chapman and Transferring to Hastings/Davis, which is better?
Last edited by Teoeo on Fri May 25, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Re: Top 10 percent at Chapman

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Chapman is #110 on USNWR. Hastings is #44. Davis is #29.

My instinct is that it depends on what your friend wants to do. If your friend wants to be a DUI defense attorney in the town next to Chapman, I wouldn't bother. But if your friend wants to join an appellate litigation boutique in Sacramento, then I would suggest she migrate to a more well-regarded institution.

But you also present a confusing choice. Top 10 at Chapman vs middle of the pack at Davis, or Top 10 at Chapman vs top 10% at Davis? Does she think she will be able to compete at these other schools, or does she expect her current school is substantially easier?

As for your first question, I would imagine that both Davis and Hastings are possible.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri May 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Edited for clarity.

Ehudbarak15

New

Post by Ehudbarak15 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Lol your "friend"

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 4:54 pm

You have clarified only one small technical matter, and left unresolved the important things. What is your friend's career interest? Is your friend pushing full throttle to achieve top 10% at Chapman, or does she think she can ramp it up a bit and still be somewhat competitive at the other schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri May 25, 2012 4:54 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri May 25, 2012 5:12 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Ehudbarak15 wrote:Lol your "friend"
Why is this funny? I am a 3L at GW, you can go through my post history. Why are you guys being dicks?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri May 25, 2012 5:14 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:You have clarified only one small technical matter, and left unresolved the important things. What is your friend's career interest? Is your friend pushing full throttle to achieve top 10% at Chapman, or does she think she can ramp it up a bit and still be somewhat competitive at the other schools?
I am not exactly sure what your question is, she is currently top 10 percent at Chapman. I am sure she will continue to try hard wherever she ends up. As far as her career interests, I don't think she is tied to any particular thing. The thing I am most curious about is what her chances are at various schools. I have been going through the Yahoo group but I figured someone on here would have some insight.

mileslibertatis

Silver

Post by mileslibertatis » Fri May 25, 2012 5:54 pm

I ask about her career interests because it bears on whether it even makes sense to transfer. If I wanted to work in my state capital or join a firm in Dallas, I would not try to transfer even though I probably can.

As for the other thing, she will have to make a personal determination as to whether she wants to chance ranking lower at a better school.

For straight chances, I would think Hastings is a near lock and Davis is a good reach. But I'm a novice here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”