What are your chances? I'll chance you Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Platinum

Re: What are your chances? I'll chance you

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:18 pm

srvyorgeneral wrote:Top 4% at GULC. Only really interested in H/Y (missed Stanford deadline and want to stay East anyway). Two CALIs and will get recs from both of those profs (major doctrinal courses). No results from write on b/c GULC results don't come in until late August. Any bets?
Apply to H/Y only if you're paying sticker at GULC or would get major need-based aid from H/Y. You will have your pick of firms at OCI, and LR or no LR and you already have yourself set up if you want the Federal Clerkship --> Academia/Gov't track. Unless there is a major financial reason to transfer, you REALLY should stay at GULC.

I think you get H, but I'd rather be top 4% at GULC then a random transfer at H (or even Y).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:23 pm

fatduck wrote:
keg411 wrote:
fatduck wrote:okay lets try this now that grades are in

~3.9, (top 2-3%) at vandy, chances at HYS + Virginia. not a VA resident per se but have some DC/VA ties.
With those numbers, I think you get UVA even without residency. But if I were you, I'd do Berkeley as a "safety" instead of UVA (unless you have a huge reason to be in VA, it seems like UVA/Vandy have a pretty big crossover in terms of firms, and there is no reason to transfer).

That said I think you have more than a 50% chance at H and I'm optimistic that you can get S :).
UVA would actually be cheaper than vandy, unless they majorly increased my scholarship. weird GI bill quirk.

don't think berk is worth the increase in price for me since i don't need to be in SF that badly.

thanks, though :D good to hear that i have a good shot at H, at least.
If you're doing it for the $$$ alone, I think you get UVA. Would the increase for Berkeley be just because of SF COL? Because I'd imagine as a state school you'd get the same coverage as UVA. If you want a guarantee of GI Bill $$$, might as well apply to Michigan too but only because I'm selfish and want to chill with you and pink. I know you don't really want to go there.

jaymaynard

Bronze

Post by jaymaynard » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Anyone care to take a stab?

Top 15% at a TT in the 80-90 range. Applying to Vandy. Lived/worked/went to school in the Nashville area for over 15 years (if that has any bearing).

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 pm

jaymaynard wrote:Anyone care to take a stab?

Top 15% at a TT in the 80-90 range. Applying to Vandy. Lived/worked/went to school in the Nashville area for over 15 years (if that has any bearing).
I think Vandy could happen...

BLSTruth

New

Post by BLSTruth » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
BLSTruth wrote:Law School Ranking: 65
GPA: 3.85
Awards: CALI Award top grade in a 1L course

Applied to: CLS, NYU, Penn, Texas, Chicago, HLS, Boalt, UCLA

What are my chances?
Honestly, I think you're probably too low for CLS/NYU/Penn/HLS/Chicago (you'd need top 1% for HLS/Chicago and probably top 3% for CLS/NYU/Penn). However, I don't know exactly how BLS does with NYC schools and how low they'll go, but remember that probably everyone in the top 5% is applying to those schools.

If you want a T14, try GULC/NU/Michigan (and even then, the people I know who transferred from schools in your range were all top 5%). You might get Berkeley if you're a CA resident, but it's going to be close.

You need to be a TX resident to get TX. I think you get UCLA.
I am a Texas resident, should I even bother applying to Texas? Also, if I go to Penn, I would be a fourth generation Penn student (although the first to attend the law school) would that make any difference?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Vronsky wrote:
lawskewl wrote:3.73 (top 7%) at 60s school in midwest
Graded on to law review
Strong ties to NYC with excellent W/E there between college and law school.
Want to work at big law, eventually do public service in NYC
Not getting any $ at current school

Chances at Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Michigan, Fordham?

Thanks.
Probably not super competitive at CN, but should get something else, either Mich or Cornell. Have you considered GULC? Don't go to Fordham - they have a negative transfer OCI policy.

Vronksy--- Bidding for GWU starts this week...I was wondering if you could start that transferring OCI thread or any advice how to bid?

I am in at one school but I am still waiting on 4, so I am a bit stressed about what I should do...

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am

jarofsoup wrote:
Vronsky wrote:
lawskewl wrote:3.73 (top 7%) at 60s school in midwest
Graded on to law review
Strong ties to NYC with excellent W/E there between college and law school.
Want to work at big law, eventually do public service in NYC
Not getting any $ at current school

Chances at Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Michigan, Fordham?

Thanks.
Probably not super competitive at CN, but should get something else, either Mich or Cornell. Have you considered GULC? Don't go to Fordham - they have a negative transfer OCI policy.

Vronksy--- Bidding for GWU starts this week...I was wondering if you could start that transferring OCI thread or any advice how to bid?

I am in at one school but I am still waiting on 4, so I am a bit stressed about what I should do...
Off-topic, but Jar, are we supposed to be contacting GW's career services office? They e-mailed to nudge us to register for write-on but I hadn't heard about anything else, including OCI or registering for classes. I guess it's time to re-check that portal that had very little info last time I checked.

soccerp

New

Post by soccerp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:40 am

Im ready to play:

Stats: #4/130 at a TT below 70 (graded on to law review) no book awards. my percentage is actually outside of the top 3% but barely

already applied to: Penn, Michigan, GULC

going to send app to: Cornell, NYU, Columbia and thats it.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:48 am

keg411 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
keg411 wrote:
fatduck wrote:okay lets try this now that grades are in

~3.9, (top 2-3%) at vandy, chances at HYS + Virginia. not a VA resident per se but have some DC/VA ties.
With those numbers, I think you get UVA even without residency. But if I were you, I'd do Berkeley as a "safety" instead of UVA (unless you have a huge reason to be in VA, it seems like UVA/Vandy have a pretty big crossover in terms of firms, and there is no reason to transfer).

That said I think you have more than a 50% chance at H and I'm optimistic that you can get S :).
UVA would actually be cheaper than vandy, unless they majorly increased my scholarship. weird GI bill quirk.

don't think berk is worth the increase in price for me since i don't need to be in SF that badly.

thanks, though :D good to hear that i have a good shot at H, at least.
If you're doing it for the $$$ alone, I think you get UVA. Would the increase for Berkeley be just because of SF COL? Because I'd imagine as a state school you'd get the same coverage as UVA. If you want a guarantee of GI Bill $$$, might as well apply to Michigan too but only because I'm selfish and want to chill with you and pink. I know you don't really want to go there.
higher COL and expense/difficulty of moving across the country. i gather that neither UVA/Berk would make a huge difference for me in terms of job prospects, but UVA seemed reasonable since it's cheaper and i want DC. i'm still not entirely sure if i'd take a UVA acceptance. H and S seem more clear cut.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:34 pm

It's a long shot I beleive. I had a friend who was slightly higher ranked at a similar school and didn't get in despite some ties.

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Well - grades in so want to try this again.

3.76. Historically that will be around 5-8% at the T40 I currently go to. I have already applied all over but just want to know if Harvard is even worth the money to shoot for. Thanks!

luckyjd

Bronze

Post by luckyjd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:01 pm

dtl wrote:Well - grades in so want to try this again.

3.76. Historically that will be around 5-8% at the T40 I currently go to. I have already applied all over but just want to know if Harvard is even worth the money to shoot for. Thanks!
Throw in an app. You never know. I knew someone who was at school ranked in the teens/20s at about 7-8% who got into Harvard. Maybe they'll like something else on your app.
EDIT: scratch that, don't apply, so i'll have a better chance :D

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 pm

soccerp wrote:Im ready to play:

Stats: #4/130 at a TT below 70 (graded on to law review) no book awards. my percentage is actually outside of the top 3% but barely

already applied to: Penn, Michigan, GULC

going to send app to: Cornell, NYU, Columbia and thats it.
I'd guess:
CLS: 35%
NYU: 45%
Penn: 50%
Michigan: 60%
GULC: 70%
Cornell: 70%

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 pm

dtl wrote:Well - grades in so want to try this again.

I think you're too much of a reach for H. In fact, you're probably a reach for CLS/NYU as well.

bio822

New

Post by bio822 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 pm

Top 20% at t25 to t14/ut possible?

DongLei

New

Post by DongLei » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:30 am

Completely futile for top 3-5% (3.8 GPA, had 3.76 and was 5% in fall so I'm hoping I'm higher) at TTT to apply to UT as a Texas resident? With only accepting about 10 transfer students I can see them just tossing my app right in the trash, thoughts? Within the 25% LSAT but cum UGPA not that great, 3.1, but 4.0 from degree institute with highest honors. 2 LORS from some pretty decent profs, not sure how much that matters though (UT doesn't even require 1).

ahem

New

Post by ahem » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm

I go to a school in the 80's. GPA after 1st year is 3.43. My school doesn't rank, but the median is 3.0, not sure where that likely puts me. Will find out about law review in a few days. I have 2 specific questions to ask:

1. What are my chances of transferring into Fordham?

2. My #1 career goal is Manhattan District Attorney's Office. Will Fordham give me a better shot at this than the school I am at now? Debt is obviously an issue but I am bigtime shooting for a state prosecutor's office, so IBR makes taking on more debt a bit easy to swallow.

Thanks for any input.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:20 pm

My school is also on a 3.0 curve and 3.43 at my school would have been between top third and top quarter.

Your chances of transferring to fordham don't seem great, but even if they were great I don't know that I'd advise you to pay sticker at fordham if you're getting any money from your current school.

for10s88

New

Post by for10s88 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Do me next!

Top 4% at a Top 25. Thoughts on where I should apply?

transferquery

New

Post by transferquery » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't think you should dip any lower than YHSCCN. Even some schools in that range (definitely N and perhaps the 2 Cs) may not be worth it if you're biglaw secure in a region that you want to practice and have any scholarship.

Edit: Turns out you're at emory, so if you want to practice in Atlanta, you should stay. Otherwise, you have better access to information regarding emory's national reach than I, so you'll have to make the determination from there.

abster789

New

Post by abster789 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Stats: 24/227, Top 11%, and one book award

Summer job: Working for an appellate court judge in the area.

Current School Rank: ~145
Trying to transfer to: 51

Undergrad degree from the #51 school. The two law schools are next door to one another.

Do I have a shot?

Also, does it make a difference that my grades significantly improved (first semester GPA: 3.2, second: 3.7)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:35 pm

DongLei wrote:Completely futile for top 3-5% (3.8 GPA, had 3.76 and was 5% in fall so I'm hoping I'm higher) at TTT to apply to UT as a Texas resident? With only accepting about 10 transfer students I can see them just tossing my app right in the trash, thoughts? Within the 25% LSAT but cum UGPA not that great, 3.1, but 4.0 from degree institute with highest honors. 2 LORS from some pretty decent profs, not sure how much that matters though (UT doesn't even require 1).
You can give it a shot. If your current TTT isn't in Texas, give SMU/UH a shot if you really want to work in Texas. If your current TTT is in Texas, you're not in a horrible position even if you don't get into UT. Maybe apply somewhere like WUSTL and see if you can gorge some more scholarship $ out of your current school.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:36 pm

abster789 wrote:Stats: 24/227, Top 11%, and one book award

Summer job: Working for an appellate court judge in the area.

Current School Rank: ~145
Trying to transfer to: 51

Undergrad degree from the #51 school. The two law schools are next door to one another.

Do I have a shot?

Also, does it make a difference that my grades significantly improved (first semester GPA: 3.2, second: 3.7)?
With those numbers, I'm pretty sure you're in at the #51 school.

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Vronsky wrote:

It's a long shot I beleive. I had a friend who was slightly higher ranked at a similar school and didn't get in despite some ties.
I don't think its a long shot. I think you are 50/50. Vandy takes TT top 15%. Whether they admit you is a different issue. I'm not so sure they can be more selective than that since TT top 10% will often get into T14.

Classygal87

New

Post by Classygal87 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 pm

T40 Top 8%
Looking at NYU, Duke, Georgetown,Vandy

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”