Applying to a school in the same market as the current LS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kaspian

New

Applying to a school in the same market as the current LS

Post by Kaspian » Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm

x
Last edited by Kaspian on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Re: Applying to a school in the same market as the current LS

Post by jess » Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue May 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Jessuf wrote:It will help. Focus on the specific programs, professors, clinics, etc. that the school has that you like.
Agreed. Schools like to draw from their own market when accepting transfers.

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:18 pm

There's no basis for saying that at all, but why not talk out of our asses some more. I hear schools like accepting libras as transfers, too!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue May 01, 2012 9:41 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:There's no basis for saying that at all, but why not talk out of our asses some more. I hear schools like accepting libras as transfers, too!
I definitely wouldn't say no basis. Lots of people at my transfer school came from schools in the same market, I know transfers at other schools who have said the same, and, from my own experience, I was accepted to every transfer school I applied to on the same coast as my 1L school but rejected from every school in the midwest and opposite coast despite them being marginally easier admissions-wise. Obviously self-selection and numerous other factors are at play, but I think it's fair to say that when seeking transfer to a certain school, it generally helps to come from a 1L school within the same market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kaspian

New

Post by Kaspian » Tue May 01, 2012 9:52 pm

x
Last edited by Kaspian on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Kaspian wrote:Thank you for the replies. So with a PS simply appeal to the strength of the school, making the transfer seem like a business decision, etc. The other places I was thinking of applying played to the local ties and desire to be in the city, but being in the same city kinda confounds that.

Thank you again
I posted this in another thread but I'll repost it here. There are obviously many ways to do it, but this is how I did my transfer personal statements:

- The first page was about why I went to law school, what I liked about law school, and what my career goals are. This page stayed the same for every school.

- The second page started with how the transfer school would help me reach my career goals. I'd usually cite simple stats from their website or leiter rankings about their placement in clerkships, biglaw, etc. Then I'd usually mention 1-2 clinics I'd want to do and 1-2 journals I'd be willing to join. You could also mention certain classes that you'd want to take as well. Then I finished with a concluding paragraph about how much I would like to study at _____ Law School.

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:31 am

Lots of people at my transfer school came from schools in the same market,
This provides zero evidence that schools prefer transfers from their own market.
I was accepted to every transfer school I applied to on the same coast as my 1L school but rejected from every school in the midwest and opposite coast despite them being marginally easier admissions-wise.
Neither does this anecdote.

Xferr

Bronze

Post by Xferr » Wed May 02, 2012 8:49 am

wiglaf1228 wrote:
Lots of people at my transfer school came from schools in the same market,
This provides zero evidence that schools prefer transfers from their own market.
I was accepted to every transfer school I applied to on the same coast as my 1L school but rejected from every school in the midwest and opposite coast despite them being marginally easier admissions-wise.
Neither does this anecdote.
It's not no evidence. It's anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence is better support for a conclusion than no evidence. We don't usually get detailed transfer admission statistics, so piecing together pieces of anecdotal evidence is sometimes all we have. If that's all we have available to offer advice, then using it is certainly warranted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 am

Rather than saying definitive things like "Being from the same market will help," it's best to specify that you are really just guessing based on random anecdotes, then.

It will help. Focus on the specific programs, professors, clinics, etc. that the school has that you like.
Agreed. Schools like to draw from their own market when accepting transfers.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 pm

At my C/N school, the transfer students generally fall into two categories:
-those from tier 1 law schools from all over the country
-those from Tier 2/3 law schools that happen to all be from the NY area (NYLS, st. Johns, seton hall, hofstra)

Further 'anecdotal' (jackass) evidence that yes, it does help to be from the market area in some instances.

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:00 pm

-those from Tier 1 Law schools from all over the country
-those from Tier 2/3 law schools that happen to all be from the NY area (NYLS, st. Johns, seton hall, hofstra)

Further 'anecdotal' (jackass) evidence that yes, it does help to be from the market area in some instances.
I notice your post, in addition to name-calling, does not specify how many transfer students at your school come from the first tier 'from all over the country.' I suspect it's quite a few less than came from local Tier 2/3 schools (since very few people from T1 would bother transferring to C/N), thus skewing your sample size and making your 'anecdotal evidence' largely irrelevant.

So, again, all this helps prove is that there's a lot of self-selection in the transfer process. It should shock no one that people are more likely to want to transfer to a better school close to them, rather than relocate across the country twice in two years just to go to a better law school.

Your post does less than nothing to prove or even suggest that admissions officers look more favorably on local applicants. The fact you and people in this thread cannot see this makes it obvious why you probably had to transfer --- logic games likely were not your thing.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 pm

To Ye-holy-LSAT-and-logic-master:

From Arrow:
Going to a Local School: I am very tempted to say that going to a local school gives you a small boost (Loyola ->UCLA; Hastings -> Berkeley; Temple/Villanova -> Penn; American -> GULC; Brooklyn -> NYU/Columbia, etc). I realize that top schools often receive more applications from local schools, but my gut instinct here seems to notice this small pattern of favoritism.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kaspian

New

Post by Kaspian » Thu May 03, 2012 6:51 pm

x
Last edited by Kaspian on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xferr

Bronze

Post by Xferr » Thu May 03, 2012 6:58 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:I notice your post, in addition to name-calling,
wiglaf1228 wrote:Why would anyone transfer from NYU to Yale? How prestige whorish.
Hmmm....

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 03, 2012 6:59 pm

No way to tell. Impossible to account for self-selection so all we can do is speculate.

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Bingo.
Should I touch on my love of the current market or anything to really tie me to here? Should there be any mention of such a move being a business decision, for professional and OCI purposes, etc?
You really seem intent on asking for speculation, don't you? For what it's worth, talking about your "love of the current market" (what does that even mean? are the trees the right height there?) and making the application into a "business decision" seems like something Mitt Romney would do. Whether that's good or bad depends on how much you want to be like Mitt Romney. QED.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu May 03, 2012 7:43 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:Bingo.
I'm glad you finally got the answer you wanted.
Kaspian wrote:So, far the best way to do so is to focus on my strengths and background in the first part and then merely talk about the specifics of the school that make it so desirable? Should I touch on my love of the current market or anything to really tie me to here? Should there be any mention of such a move being a business decision, for professional and OCI purposes, etc?
I actually try to make my posts constructive (cough cough), so I'll actually answer this. If you discuss career placement stats and how the transfer school will help you reach your career goals then I think it's unnecessary to to say stuff about how it's a "business decision." No harm in including your love of your current market though.

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Constructive does not = making things up just to have something to say.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Thu May 03, 2012 8:04 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:
-those from Tier 1 Law schools from all over the country

I notice your post, in addition to name-calling, does not specify how many transfer students at your school come from the first tier 'from all over the country.' I suspect it's quite a few less than came from local Tier 2/3 schools (since very few people from T1 would bother transferring to C/N), thus skewing your sample size and making your 'anecdotal evidence' largely irrelevant.

So, again, all this helps prove is that there's a lot of self-selection in the transfer process. It should shock no one that people are more likely to want to transfer to a better school close to them, rather than relocate across the country twice in two years just to go to a better law school.

Your post does less than nothing to prove or even suggest that admissions officers look more favorably on local applicants. The fact you and people in this thread cannot see this makes it obvious why you probably had to transfer --- logic games likely were not your thing.
:roll:

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:06 pm

I love it when people think snark suffices for an argument. I shouldn't be surprised though since it seems to be all anyone offers in this thread. Do you have any actual, real, not-made-up data that even suggests how many people from T1 go to C/N relative to T2-T3?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Thu May 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Arrow/Quiver is the only nice person on TLS, ever

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Grow a pair. It generally will help your career, I think, to respond with facts when people call you out on your bullshit, rather than crying about it.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:Do you have any actual, real, not-made-up data that even suggests how many people from T1 go to C/N relative to T2-T3?
Quite a few T1 transfers feed into these schools (I know several). There are enough CCN transfers on here that I'm sure someone can provide an estimate of their class breakdown if you really don't believe it.

wiglaf1228

New

Post by wiglaf1228 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 pm

C/N take, what, 40 transfers each? Likely less than 5 or 6 come from T1. It's certainly not more than 10.

Some proof that is actually grounded in reality: CLS posted a list of transfers back in 2008. All of them pretty much came from T2 schools. CLS has since removed the list on its site, but here's a comment thread noting this: --LinkRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”