Transferring from cooley Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AffordablePrep

Bronze

Transferring from cooley

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:38 pm

So i have an old friend who called for help transferring. He has hopes of a TTT or TTTT transfer out of state. He constantly speaks of how challenging Cooley is, and how most fail out. He seems to think he has good odds, being top 40 percent of his class at cooley. Obviously the school's misinformed him about his success, but he won't listen when i put it gently as to not hurt his feelings, much like how he ignored my retake advise. Is he at all correct? If he was your friend would u be more blunt? He's not a close friemd-just someone i grew up with, who is very sensitive and aggressive--prob wouldn't be his friend if we didn't grow up together, but do care about him.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Re: Transferring from cooley

Post by t14fanboy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:42 pm

But Cooley's the most prestigious school in the country.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:48 pm

t14fanboy wrote:But Cooley's the most prestigious school in the country.

NO, You are so wrong.

Its the best in the World lol

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Not sure why you think he has no chance. You severely overestimate the competitiveness of transferring to a TTT school.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

You laugh about it, but the students believe it's strong. They'll concede it's 4th tier but will argue it's the most competitive 4th tier, perhaps most competitive non-tier 1 in the country. Obviously the school has convinced them of this. My friend is emotional and speaks poor English, but he's not an idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:Not sure why you think he has no chance. You severely overestimate the competitiveness of transferring to a TTT school.
Top 40 percent is enough? I know top 10 to top 3 requires top 10 or 20 percent so i figured going up a tier from the lowest school in america requires more than top 40?

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:You laugh about it, but the students believe it's strong. They'll concede it's 4th tier but will argue it's the most competitive 4th tier, perhaps most competitive non-tier 1 in the country. Obviously the school has convinced them of this. My friend is emotional and speaks poor English, but he's not an idiot.

Are you sure ? lol

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:54 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:Not sure why you think he has no chance. You severely overestimate the competitiveness of transferring to a TTT school.
Top 40 percent is enough? I know top 10 to top 3 requires top 10 or 20 percent so i figured going up a tier from the lowest school in america requires more than top 40?
I don't think that's a logical extrapolation. Top 3 schools are extremely sought after (even by top 10 students), whereas much lower ranked schools are not.
Last edited by Younger Abstention on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 pm

indo wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:You laugh about it, but the students believe it's strong. They'll concede it's 4th tier but will argue it's the most competitive 4th tier, perhaps most competitive non-tier 1 in the country. Obviously the school has convinced them of this. My friend is emotional and speaks poor English, but he's not an idiot.

Are you sure ? lol
I've met dumber. Honestly, I've tutored much dumber individuals that got into TT, people with 900/1600 sat scores.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:
I don't think that's a logical extrapolation. Top 3 schools are extremely sought after (even by top 10 students), whereas much lower ranked schools are not.
You're right, but certainly some people apply?

Cornellanister

New

Post by Cornellanister » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:56 pm

He can always try. This sorta sounds like a flame tbh.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:57 pm

He isn't going anywhere from top 40%.

Honestly I would do whatever saves me the most aggravation. If he ignored your retake advice, he is going to ignore whatever you tell him now. You need to do whatever is going to make it easier for you. I would tell him bluntly what you think the odds are, but if he gives you a hard time, just tell him to go for it.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
indo wrote:

Are you sure ? lol
I've met dumber. Honestly, I've tutored much dumber individuals that got into TT, people with 900/1600 sat scores.

wow you must keep good company

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:00 pm

He will find a school he can transfer to because schools want

Also, yes transferring from t10 to t3 is not analogous.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:01 pm

t14fanboy wrote:He will find a school he can transfer to because schools want

Also, yes transferring from t10 to t3 is not analogous.

i like that sound of money

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:02 pm

I keep judgments to myself unless i feel they'll benefit the other person. Like i omce had a student who had a dwi and confided in me that he punched his girlfriend, and suggested he get anger management counseling because he is going to fail at life. But telling someone they're just dumb not in terms of edcation, but brain size is fruitless.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:03 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:
You're right, but certainly some people apply?
Some do, sure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AffordablePrep

Bronze

Post by AffordablePrep » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 pm

What are the standards?

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:07 am

Assuming ur friend is not an idiot as you claim, i think u should be more concerned with his lack of motivation/confidence. I'm a 0L, so obviously not an expert or anything, but isn't there a lot of time before finals for his classes? When you decide to be blunt, tell him if he's not top 20% of his class to drop the whole law school thing.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:33 pm

TLSwag wrote:Assuming ur friend is not an idiot as you claim, i think u should be more concerned with his lack of motivation/confidence. I'm a 0L, so obviously not an expert or anything, but isn't there a lot of time before finals for his classes? When you decide to be blunt, tell him if he's not top 20% of his class to drop the whole law school thing.
+1

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 pm

The only transferring from Cooley that should ever take place is transferring yourself into the front seat of Doc Brown's DeLorean.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Yeah ive given up. I've tutored the LSAT to some people and those who start sub-140 are all screwed. They dream of law school, so when they improve to a 150 they stop studying, stop tutoring to save money as they've already jit their goal, secure a TTTT at sticker and I assume wind up poor and in profound debt. They are pointed to this website but ignore it. When you gain experience seeing how many of the tier 4 bunch ignore and even become hostile to anyone who questions their retarded game plan, you start to I wouldn't say empathize with the NY Law Schools of the world, but understand it isn't their fault. They'd fill up even if they were honest wth their stats. The TTTT is to college kids what the ab-belt is to fat people.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:40 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Yeah ive given up. I've tutored the LSAT to some people and those who start sub-140 are all screwed. They dream of law school, so when they improve to a 150 they stop studying, stop tutoring to save money as they've already jit their goal, secure a TTTT at sticker and I assume wind up poor and in profound debt. They are pointed to this website but ignore it. When you gain experience seeing how many of the tier 4 bunch ignore and even become hostile to anyone who questions their retarded game plan, you start to I wouldn't say empathize with the NY Law Schools of the world, but understand it isn't their fault. They'd fill up even if they were honest wth their stats. The TTTT is to college kids what the ab-belt is to fat people.
Love this

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:43 pm

It's cruel but when someone sees the evidence and ignores it with no counter evidence, you need to let them go. It's kind of darwinism. I just cut him off because I can't talk to him aout anything without feeling guilty about how clueless he is about his future, but he also tells me I'm wrong and that cooley does better than uva job wise so he's worried about me. I'm not offended lol but i just dont wanna be his friend when he destructs, because id judt be pissed at him for not listening to me.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 pm

kaiser wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Yeah ive given up. I've tutored the LSAT to some people and those who start sub-140 are all screwed. They dream of law school, so when they improve to a 150 they stop studying, stop tutoring to save money as they've already jit their goal, secure a TTTT at sticker and I assume wind up poor and in profound debt. They are pointed to this website but ignore it. When you gain experience seeing how many of the tier 4 bunch ignore and even become hostile to anyone who questions their retarded game plan, you start to I wouldn't say empathize with the NY Law Schools of the world, but understand it isn't their fault. They'd fill up even if they were honest wth their stats. The TTTT is to college kids what the ab-belt is to fat people.
Love this
Now i should disclose idk if the ab belt works or not. I just only see fat people with it.... And the logic behind it doesn't make sense. It makes u uncomfortable so u sweat more when u run or do crunches, but wouldn't this also make u do less crunches?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”