Poor grades, bottom of T100 pile: should I even bother? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
guruburu

New

Poor grades, bottom of T100 pile: should I even bother?

Post by guruburu » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:40 pm

I wish my enjoyment of law school translated into my GPA, because I really like school. But, I guess I didn't learn to properly articulate what I knew and conveniently, some personal issues came up around finals time, so fall semester grades put me towards the bottom of the class (2.57). I had hopes of transfering to a higher ranking school… I went to a high-ranking undergrad and did well there, and feel like I ought to graduate from an equally good law school, or at least one ranked higher than where I am now (bottom half of T100). I can do better grade-wise this semester, but I don't know if I can make up for Fall and get into that essential 10%. I know my family is a bit disappointed and would be a lot happier if I went to a better school. I also think I'd like to work in DC, so I'd like to transfer to a school there, like U. of MD, George Washington, or even Georgetown, if it's possible. I'm interested in Justice Law (over BigLaw) and many public interest orgs. are headquartered in the capitol.

However, besides feeling completely inadequate for the first time in my life, I'm reluctant about transferring because I have really great benefits that I would lose if I transferred. For one, I have a full scholarship, which is really important. I also worked at the school (main reason why I attended), so I personally know a lot of the staff and faculty here and they look out for me—I'm on their radar when special events and opportunities arise. I also have many leadership opportunities for next year because of my involvement. Plus, Public Interest usually doesn't put as much emphasis on pedigree as they do on experience, which I have through volunteering/clinics, so a big name school isn't that crucial to my long-term success.

I guess my question is whether I should forgo the money+connections I have for prestige. And now that I've written it all out…I think I know my answer. Still, I'd appreciate your thoughts on my chances of getting in to any of the top 40–50 with my current situation. Thanks in advance.

Diamond

Re: Poor grades, bottom of T100 pile: should I even bother?

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:45 pm

guruburu wrote:I wish my enjoyment of law school translated into my GPA, because I really like school. But, I guess I didn't learn to properly articulate what I knew and conveniently, some personal issues came up around finals time, so fall semester grades put me towards the bottom of the class (2.57). I had hopes of transfering to a higher ranking school… I went to a high-ranking undergrad and did well there, and feel like I ought to graduate from an equally good law school, or at least one ranked higher than where I am now (bottom half of T100). I can do better grade-wise this semester, but I don't know if I can make up for Fall and get into that essential 10%. I know my family is a bit disappointed and would be a lot happier if I went to a better school. I also think I'd like to work in DC, so I'd like to transfer to a school there, like U. of MD, George Washington, or even Georgetown, if it's possible. I'm interested in Justice Law (over BigLaw) and many public interest orgs. are headquartered in the capitol.

However, besides feeling completely inadequate for the first time in my life, I'm reluctant about transferring because I have really great benefits that I would lose if I transferred. For one, I have a full scholarship, which is really important. I also worked at the school (main reason why I attended), so I personally know a lot of the staff and faculty here and they look out for me—I'm on their radar when special events and opportunities arise. I also have many leadership opportunities for next year because of my involvement. Plus, Public Interest usually doesn't put as much emphasis on pedigree as they do on experience, which I have through volunteering/clinics, so a big name school isn't that crucial to my long-term success.

I guess my question is whether I should forgo the money+connections I have for prestige. And now that I've written it all out…I think I know my answer. Still, I'd appreciate your thoughts on my chances of getting in to any of the top 40–50 with my current situation. Thanks in advance.
flame

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:59 pm

guruburu wrote:I'm interested in Justice Law

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 pm

guruburu wrote:I wish my enjoyment of law school translated into my GPA

guruburu

New

Post by guruburu » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
guruburu wrote:I wish my enjoyment of law school translated into my GPA, because I really like school. But, I guess I didn't learn to properly articulate what I knew and conveniently, some personal issues came up around finals time, so fall semester grades put me towards the bottom of the class (2.57). I had hopes of transfering to a higher ranking school… I went to a high-ranking undergrad and did well there, and feel like I ought to graduate from an equally good law school, or at least one ranked higher than where I am now (bottom half of T100). I can do better grade-wise this semester, but I don't know if I can make up for Fall and get into that essential 10%. I know my family is a bit disappointed and would be a lot happier if I went to a better school. I also think I'd like to work in DC, so I'd like to transfer to a school there, like U. of MD, George Washington, or even Georgetown, if it's possible. I'm interested in Justice Law (over BigLaw) and many public interest orgs. are headquartered in the capitol.

flame
Is that a rallying cry that folks should flame this post?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 pm

guruburu wrote: However, besides feeling completely inadequate for the first time in my life, I'm reluctant about transferring because I have really great benefits that I would lose if I transferred..
You should date my girlfriend.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:32 pm

If you're not doing well at a low-ranked school, and you're not happy with the situation, maybe your best bet is to drop out. You could look into getting some work experience or applying to another grad program. Like, if you're interested in public interest jobs, why not go into social work?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Flame. Get a life, bro.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guruburu

New

Post by guruburu » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:18 pm

cinephile wrote:If you're not doing well at a low-ranked school, and you're not happy with the situation, maybe your best bet is to drop out. You could look into getting some work experience or applying to another grad program. Like, if you're interested in public interest jobs, why not go into social work?
Well, dropping out isn't in my plans. Like I said, I enjoy law school, very much actually: my classes are interesting and my professors are great. I just did shockingly worse at exam time than I expected. I know what my weaknesses are now and the issue that came up during finals won't be happening again if I can help it.

As for all the "flame" replies: I know the internet makes very jaded people, so I don't grudge you.

guruburu

New

Post by guruburu » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:I hope justice law becomes a new thing.
What, you've never heard of social Justice Law referred to as Justice Law? Huh, guess it's less common than I thought.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:42 pm

It's unlikely if not nigh impossible for you to improve your grades enough to transfer.

You already made the smart choice not to take out any loans for tuition. No reason to go chasing prestige at this point, especially when the best schools you could possibly even get into aren't worth giving up a full ride.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Transferring is the worst thing you can possibly do at this point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 pm

How would transferring benefit you in anyway? If you aren't in debt, stick it out but start looking for jobs. You are going to get a job by searching hard for it. There are job search tips in the employment forum. Work experience is what will save you now.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:00 am

No one would even want you with your 2.57 gpa. Georgetown? LMAO!

lobolawyer

Bronze

Post by lobolawyer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:03 am

rad lulz wrote:I hope justice law becomes a new thing.
Me too. But it does give some explanation for OP's GPA.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:07 am

You're probably a flame but it is literally impossible for you to finish 1L in the top 10%. If you 4.0 this semester, you'll have a whopping 3.28.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:07 am

Don't transfer. Work your butt off in your classes from now on, and hustle like crazy for employment. That seems to be your best bet at this point. Sorry things didn't turn out like you planned.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 am

beach_terror wrote:You're probably a flame but it is literally impossible for you to finish 1L in the top 10%. If you 4.0 this semester, you'll have a whopping 3.28.
Depending on his curve that might be top 5%. But getting 4.0 would be asburdly hard.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:14 am

Desert Fox wrote:
beach_terror wrote:You're probably a flame but it is literally impossible for you to finish 1L in the top 10%. If you 4.0 this semester, you'll have a whopping 3.28.
Depending on his curve that might be top 5%. But getting 4.0 would be asburdly hard.
Do any top 100 schools curve that low? I thought that was only done at TTT/TTTT schools. If that GPA would put you in that range, good luck OP. That's some hard shit to pull off.

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:51 am

beach_terror wrote:Do any top 100 schools curve that low? I thought that was only done at TTT/TTTT schools. If that GPA would put you in that range, good luck OP. That's some hard shit to pull off.
Check this out:

http://www.baylor.edu/law/cd/index.php?id=75305

I couldn't find their class ranks, so I'm not really answering your question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 am

nouseforaname123 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Do any top 100 schools curve that low? I thought that was only done at TTT/TTTT schools. If that GPA would put you in that range, good luck OP. That's some hard shit to pull off.
Check this out:

http://www.baylor.edu/law/cd/index.php?id=75305

I couldn't find their class ranks, so I'm not really answering your question.
"Employers using grade point average as part of their hiring criteria should set standards specifically for Baylor Law students. Because grading policies vary from school to school, imposing the same GPA requirements on candidates from different schools may result in the inadvertent elimination of highly qualified candidates from schools such as Baylor."

Good work screwing over your students Baylor.

guruburu

New

Post by guruburu » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 am

*resurrecting a dead thread*

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was starting to feel a bit better about staying, except just the other day my dad made a comment about me transferring again…so now I'm back to torturing myself with "what ifs" again (cause I'm a masochist :) ). I should have mentioned before: two of my classes are year long, so if I get As in those this semester (I think grades break down to 60%/40%) could it counterbalance my poor performance in the fall somewhat? Maybe?

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:00 am

"so I don't grudge you."

No offense, here is another thing you could work on to raise that GPA.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm sorry OP, there's absolutely nowhere you could transfer with those grades that would 1) be worth the transfer, and 2) provide the prestige you're looking for. Put transferring out of your mind.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”