Quick question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JoeFish

Bronze

Quick question

Post by JoeFish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Given that I plan on writing a (somewhat) individualized letter for each school, is it appropriate to state, in the letter to my top choice, that if accepted I will definitely attend? It's true, and I'll stand by it (if I get in, 100% chance I go), but is a paragraph in the PS the appropriate way to express that? Any chance that could be tiny boost, tiebreaker maybe (given that my top choice is in MVPB, and I'll be applying to CCN)?

I mentioned on here before that I had a bit of a rough go the first time I asked a teacher for an LOR; the next two professors I asked were more than happy to help and couldn't have been more courteous. So, I'm going to at least try to have every single thing except my transcripts done by April 15 so I don't have to be worrying about anything other than finals when that time comes around. When do most schools release their apps? Mid-April, early May, sometime in there?

InnocuousDiatribe

Bronze

Re: Quick question

Post by InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm

There's no rule against it, but I would make sure you make clear WHY they are your top pick. Writing "You are my top pick" floating in space gives you no bump at all. If you can give compelling reasons why exactly this particular school occupies that top spot for you may make the admissions dean a bit more sympathetic to your application.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Right, I'll be sure to do that. Reasons are 1. I want to live and work where the school is, 2. School is much, much closer to my family than where I am now, 3. Grandparents live 15 minutes from the school, 4. General family ties to the area (used to live close-by, etc).

So, having stated all of that (I assume the order I stated above is a pretty reasonable descending order of importance), it would be appropriate, if not necessarily common, then, to say something along the lines of "For those reasons, <school> is the best place for me, and if accepted, I guarantee I will attend" ?

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 am

I plan to have a (quite) rough draft of my personal statement done in the next few hours. Would any successful transfers mind taking a look at it and providing a bit of advice, in particular to make sure I'm not being too vague, or saying something that I really oughtn't say? It would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”