Transferring - Speculation Time! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goldpaws123

New

Transferring - Speculation Time!

Post by goldpaws123 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:04 am

Hi ya'll,

I was thinking of transferring laterally from a Tier 4 or Tier 3 (not sure if it matters?), mainly to move home (several reasons).

I received a 146 on my LSAT, and have a 3.19 current LS-GPA (Top 36%).
My undergraduate is in Accounting, graduated with 3.85, also took graduate level classes in Accounting at a big 12 school. I am also 9 hours of credit away from taking CPA exam.

Softs include already reaching the 30 hour pro bono requirement by teaching elementary children mock-trial and free tax preparation for low-income families.
Currently holding three part-time jobs that equate to about 10 hours / week, two of which are law-related jobs.

When I asked for LOR, I did not have any issue obtaining them. I can't complain too much here as I sprinkled participation throughout the semester, particularly in crimlaw, where I received an A-.

I'm not sure of my chances transferring laterally and could use advice! I am from Texas and will be focusing on transferring to other Texas law schools. It's not the end of the world if I stay at my current law school, but I would like to go to a law school in the city where I intend on practicing (Houston).

Thanks,

goldpaws123

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Re: Transferring - Speculation Time!

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:50 pm

goldpaws123 wrote:Hi ya'll,

I was thinking of transferring laterally from a Tier 4 or Tier 3 (not sure if it matters?), mainly to move home (several reasons).

I received a 146 on my LSAT, and have a 3.19 current LS-GPA (Top 36%).
My undergraduate is in Accounting, graduated with 3.85, also took graduate level classes in Accounting at a big 12 school. I am also 9 hours of credit away from taking CPA exam.

Softs include already reaching the 30 hour pro bono requirement by teaching elementary children mock-trial and free tax preparation for low-income families.
Currently holding three part-time jobs that equate to about 10 hours / week, two of which are law-related jobs.

When I asked for LOR, I did not have any issue obtaining them. I can't complain too much here as I sprinkled participation throughout the semester, particularly in crimlaw, where I received an A-.

I'm not sure of my chances transferring laterally and could use advice! I am from Texas and will be focusing on transferring to other Texas law schools. It's not the end of the world if I stay at my current law school, but I would like to go to a law school in the city where I intend on practicing (Houston).

Thanks,

goldpaws123
Welcome to the board...

Unfortunately, lateral transfers are weird. TTT and TTTT schools are generally willing to accept transfers to get $. I'd assume you had a shot at successfully transferring to South Texas, Tech, St. Marys...

But really...is it worth it? depending where you are now...I don't think so

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”