GWU to Duke Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DClaw10

New

GWU to Duke

Post by DClaw10 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Just outside of top 15% at GW. Would like to transfer to Duke for personal reasons, as well as better career opportunities. What are the chances for a transfer like this?

ran12

Silver

Re: GWU to Duke

Post by ran12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 am

Duke's pretty fickle when accepting transfers. I remember last year was pretty tough and seemed like you had to be at least top 10% or better. Idk how GW's bigger class size might work for or against you. You have any ties to Duke? I know people in your general situation who are Duke alums that got rejected.

DClaw10

New

Post by DClaw10 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am

My ties would be to the area as I went to school in the area and grew up in the area. Would really like to be back in NC, but other than Duke seems like it might be a risky move to transfer to UNC/Wake?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:51 am

ran12 wrote:Duke's pretty fickle when accepting transfers. I remember last year was pretty tough and seemed like you had to be at least top 10% or better. Idk how GW's bigger class size might work for or against you. You have any ties to Duke? I know people in your general situation who are Duke alums that got rejected.
Not sure how much/if it'll affect transfer admissions, but we also have a considerably smaller class this year than last.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:24 pm

If you wanna work in NC, UNC makes the most sense esp. if you can get IS tuition. The law building is not that great and the class sizes are large there. Wake would be good for western NC. The other poster mentioned smaller class sizes being a factor and it will be. Duke's been making an effort to decrease the class size and that's prob why not that many people got in as a transfer last year.

What exactly about GW are you unhappy about? I'm a GW and Duke alum so I'm looking to transfer to one of them. I've been hearing OCI been's pretty bad at GW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25 pm

ran12 wrote:If you wanna work in NC, UNC makes the most sense esp. if you can get IS tuition. The law building is not that great and the class sizes are large there. Wake would be good for western NC. The other poster mentioned smaller class sizes being a factor and it will be. Duke's been making an effort to decrease the class size and that's prob why not that many people got in as a transfer last year.

What exactly about GW are you unhappy about? I'm a GW and Duke alum so I'm looking to transfer to one of them. I've been hearing OCI been's pretty bad at GW.
Outside T10s, OCI is pretty bad everywhere, dude. That said, top 15% at GW should get you something out of OCI unless you're a terrible interviewer.

DClaw10

New

Post by DClaw10 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 pm

If you wanna work in NC, UNC makes the most sense esp. if you can get IS tuition. The law building is not that great and the class sizes are large there. Wake would be good for western NC. The other poster mentioned smaller class sizes being a factor and it will be. Duke's been making an effort to decrease the class size and that's prob why not that many people got in as a transfer last year.

Just not a big fan of the city and am concerned about my ability to get a job in the South (NC, ATL). Would rather spend the next 2 years in NC, but obviously don't want to screw up employment opportunities. Obviously losing grades would hurt, but employers would still be able to see my performance at GW, so not sure if that would help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”