Top 8%, T40-50 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shock259

Gold

Top 8%, T40-50

Post by shock259 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:06 pm

My career goal is JAG. I'm applying to every selection board for every branch until I pick something up. No military experience, 1 year out of undergrad.

Assuming I hold onto the top 5-10%, is the lower T14 an option? Michigan, Penn, UVA, or Duke?

Transfer Pros
-If I don't get picked up by JAG, I'll have significantly better private practice/government career options in the T14
-If I do get picked up by JAG, upon exiting and rejoining the workforce, I'll have a better school on my resume
-Theoretically, better school MAY influence JAG applications slightly. But this is probably negligible, as they seem to care much more about class rank than school

Transfer Cons
-Way more money (in-state tuition + scholarships + grandfather donations = can graduate debt free from my current school. would probably incur debt if transferred)
-No law review
-Lose friends
-Moving away from family

Thoughts?

LegalEagle2014

New

Re: Top 8%, T40-50

Post by LegalEagle2014 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Congrats on doing well first semester! because you've done well so far there's no need to abandon your dream of being a JAG. With those grades you should be in a great position to join a branch and get your commission after law school. Financially JAG's do not make as much firm attorney's. Would going T14 and taking on the debt give you the financial freedom to join the military out of law school? or would it force you to take a firm job to pay off loans?

Graduating without debt and JAG position from your current school seems like the best option because you'll start building financial security the day after graduation.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 pm

School is not a huge factor for JAG, and grades even aren't the key factor (though decent grades are important). Really no reason to transfer IMO. Keep your rank, law review, and scholarships. Even if you strike out on JAG, top 10% will be competitive for jobs.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:16 am

Thanks a lot guys. Quite helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”