Transfer from PT program to Harvard/Yale FT? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transfer2012?

New

Transfer from PT program to Harvard/Yale FT?

Post by transfer2012? » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:29 am

I've read some of the information on this board and on the yahoo "transferapps" group. I have a 4.333 GPA at #15-25 (straight A+ grades) and am strongly considering a transfer to Harvard or Yale. Primarily, I have discovered during my first semester that I would like to teach, and going to either of those schools would greatly facilitate meeting that goal.

Complications:

1) I'm in a part-time program, so I'll have 21 credits instead of 28 at the end of this semester.

2) I can take a 4-credit class and a 2-credit study abroad this summer to get to 27, but I wouldn't have those credits at the time of the application. I might be able to take an additional credit hour in a project if necessary to get to 28.

3) Alternatively, I can forego the summer class and take a light load next year (5-6 credits per semester) to end up with 31-32 credits, and then to transfer for Fall 2013. Since I run my own business and recently moved, I have no problem with waiting a year and doing this.

4) Although finances are a concern, I would like to ignore the issue of finances for the purpose of this analysis.

5) I previously applied (very late) for regular 1L fall 2011 admission to HLS and YLS and was denied. I had a 176 LSAT, but spotty undergrad record.

Data-gathering efforts:

1) I called the HLS admissions office, and was told that I would need no more and no less than one year's study. When I asked whether it mattered whether I was in a three-year or four-year program, she said the equivalent of a full-time program, but when I asked how many credits was an acceptable range, she said there was no set range. This answer seemed inconsistent. I asked if it mattered if I waited until next year and had a few extra credits, and that's when she said yes, it had to be exactly one year, "no more..."

2) The website alludes to allowing transfer for those who have completed one-third of a part-time program. I was hoping to clarify that by calling. Any insight here is appreciated.

In all likelihood, I will apply this year to transfer. My biggest question is whether I should/need to cram in the summer credits. If I need to have near 28 credits, I'll do so, but if they're not going to matter - and if I end up wanting to apply to transfer next year - I probably shouldn't take them because I don't want to have too many credits next year.

Thoughts?

-------------------------
Edit to add in response to a post that appeared and then disappeared: I've read the HLS website comment that says "one-third of the credits of a part-time program" - but it leaves two questions. 1) Is that at time of application or prior to transfer in August? 2) Would it matter if one had a few credits on top of that and didn't care how many credits actually transferred over? In light of the information provided on the phone call, those questions remain.
Last edited by transfer2012? on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wholigan

Silver

Re: Transfer from GW PT program to Harvard/Yale FT? (4.333 GPA)

Post by Wholigan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:46 am

My understanding of what H requires (and some other schools) is that they require whatever 1L classes your school requires, e.g. Con Law, Crim Law, Ks, etc. Because some schools do 28 credits the first year, some do 30, and so on, that is why they are telling you it isn't a set number of credits they require. That also sort of explains the 1/3 of PT credits thing. I imagine it would be tough to meet unless you can take the foundational courses over the summer that you missed due to being PT. I would not let that stop you from applying however. People have been accepted into transfer schools who do not meet the explicit requirements that the schools lay out.

Also, I would not take the 2 credit study abroad. I assume it is not graded, and I don't believe it is going to get you anywhere with most schools. Particularly with H - it is not going to help you meet their requirements since they don't go by credits, and with Y, who I don't believe really has a formal list of requirements. Try to get some work experience instead.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 am

1/3 of the required 84 credits seems clear, you need to have 28 credits to transfer. When you need them by is a question only HLS can answer.

transfer2012?

New

Post by transfer2012? » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 am

Wholigan wrote:Also, I would not take the 2 credit study abroad. I assume it is not graded, and I don't believe it is going to get you anywhere with most schools. Particularly with H - it is not going to help you meet their requirements since they don't go by credits, and with Y, who I don't believe really has a formal list of requirements. Try to get some work experience instead.
It is letter-graded according to the standard GW curve (two 1-credit courses, actually), but point taken. Since it's only two weeks in late July, it's something I would consider doing for leisure (and may be compatible with an 8- or 10-week summer job), but if I get a longer work opportunity that makes sense to take, I would definitely consider doing that instead.
bdubs wrote:When you need them by is a question only HLS can answer.
Right. Part of me was hoping someone else had already asked and had that question answered authoritatively. I got a non-answer on the phone today. I would happily drop by the office in person when I'm in the Boston area, but I'm not sure whether that would be viewed positive or negative. My assumption is a lot of hopefuls drop by the HLS admissions office.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 am

All that I can say is that I tried to look into this possibility as a 0L when considering GW/GULC PT programs and I was never able to find a definitive answer. I didn't reach out to HYS about transfers though, since it seemed entirely too presumptuous at the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”