Possibly #1 from mid 40s school. What are my chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
B<PL

New

Possibly #1 from mid 40s school. What are my chances?

Post by B<PL » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:33 pm

So I was pretty taken back when grades came out and I got a 4.0. I guess it's possible that someone else got one too, I don't really know. Anyway, I am at a school ranked in the low 40s. What are my chances of transferring HYS? Any thoughts? Would chances at Stanford increase with two letters of rec from Alum, one of which is former federal judge? Obviously all of this is contingent on maintaining my grades, but I would like some input. Thanks.

PS I don't know yet if I got top grades in any classes, that info will come out this week.

ben4847

Silver

Re: Possibly #1 from mid 40s school. What are my chances?

Post by ben4847 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:40 pm

should be good for HLS, I'd guess.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Even if for C (not just HYS), high tail it out of your school and transfer to greener pastures.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:25 pm

If you stay #1 you'll almost certainly get one of HYS. Alumni letters for S probably help, but it's still somewhat of a black box coming from a school in that range.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Transfer if you want academe/clerkships/market(s) your T40 school can't reach. Otherwise stay there, negotiate a scholarship if you don't have one already, and you'll get biglaw w/o much of a problem (if you're even marginal at interviewing).

PS Congratulations on the 4 point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Shoot for all of HYS and you'll get at least one.

emptyflare

New

Post by emptyflare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:05 pm

It may also be worth noting that if you want to take less of a risk on potentially getting slightly lower grades next semester, you could send a transfer U Chicago app ED. Although this would obviously eliminate the HYS possibility. May be worth committing, though, if you are determined to work in Chicago/Midwest and don't care much for better academia chances or lay prestige.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Even if you do care much for academia, prospects from Chicago could be damn good.

Also, those LORs should definitely help you, since transfer apps tend to be oriented more toward the "holistic" approach (besides GPA, of course).

B<PL

New

Post by B<PL » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 pm

Found out that I tied with at least one other person for #1. But I CALI'ed every class but one, in which I got an award for second-highest grade. Part of me considers transferring solely so I don't have to compete for the top spot, I can just expect to settle down somewhere into the crowd at a bigger name school.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 am

B<PL wrote:Part of me considers transferring solely so I don't have to compete for the top spot, I can just expect to settle down somewhere into the crowd at a bigger name school.
Looks like you just found your transfer app PS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”