Transfer TTTT to TT Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fdr123

New

Transfer TTTT to TT

Post by fdr123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Just got all grades back. 4 Bs and 1 C+ which is 2.9 GPA. This is top 25% and curve is set at 2.25-2.5. What are my odds of getting into TT?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Re: Transfer TTTT to TT

Post by Extension_Cord » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Holy crap, thats a horrible curve. I'd think top 25% it is for sure worth sending apps out. Send some to a couple good TTT's aswell, especially if its a state school and you go to a private and pay 30k+ a year.

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:Holy crap, thats a horrible curve. I'd think top 25% it is for sure worth sending apps out. Send some to a couple good TTT's aswell, especially if its a state school and you go to a private and pay 30k+ a year.
+1.... Holy shit. Is this common at TTTTs? Just to make sure all those 3.0+ stip scholly kids are royally treated to full tuition?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I've heard it can be easier to transfer to a better school in the same geographic location. Don't know how true that is or if you want to stay in the same region, but that might help.

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:37 pm

This is why i want to transfer. Only 15% get a B or higher and there is no A- just A B+ and B

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 pm

fdr123 wrote:This is why i want to transfer. Only 15% get a B or higher and there is no A- just A B+ and B
Well, it won't really matter because if you are looking for an SA you are going to be considered based on your 1L grades. Obviously that curve is nuts so you just have to make sure your resume has your class rank on it (double check with your CSO to make sure everything is in compliance, though). Your odds of transferring up to a TT are decent, but don't transfer just because you want a normal grading curve.

Do you want to practice in the region your current school is located in? Are you on a scholarship?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:52 pm

OP, have you considered leveraging transfer admission for more money from your school? Many fourth tier schools do this to deter students from transferring. Depending on the school and market, your job chances may not be different enough to justify giving up a large scholarship, if you can negotiate one. Good luck and congrats! Also, to TLS in general, curves set to 2.7 or thereabouts are common outside the T1 and T2. Angst over 3.19ish "low" curve, learn to shut mouth, lol.

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:36 pm

bad curve
Last edited by Seminole_305 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:45 pm

IMO the benefits of transferring TTTT --> TT are, in general, pretty minimal. You still won't have access to a meaningful OCI and you will still be at a regional school. To the extent that there is any increased chance of a decent clerkship, it's negligible.

It could be worth it to gain an advantage for the 3L job search (especially if you stay in the same market). We would need to know what schools/markets you are considering and whether you have a scholarship at your current school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Disagree wholeheartedly with Mr. Fork. Not only will some (not ALL) of the bigger firms likely come to your OCI, but you will also get job postings on your simplicity for state and possibly regional job postings as they become available. Whether or not you will qualify for the jobs is a different story, but you will at least have access to them, which could be huge.

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:01 pm

I want to transfer to U.Miami. Got waitlisted last cycle and just did not have the LSAT to get in. 152 Lsat and 3.8 GPA. I am in top 25% now and I have heard of Early Action for U.M. Still trying to decide on whether to send Application now because they can conditionally accept me on 1st semester grades or try and get to top 15-20% after 2nd semester grades and apply then. Any suggestions and/or advice?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:40 pm

fdr123 wrote:I want to transfer to U.Miami. Got waitlisted last cycle and just did not have the LSAT to get in. 152 Lsat and 3.8 GPA. I am in top 25% now and I have heard of Early Action for U.M. Still trying to decide on whether to send Application now because they can conditionally accept me on 1st semester grades or try and get to top 15-20% after 2nd semester grades and apply then. Any suggestions and/or advice?
UM is expensive. What about the state schools, UF, FSU or FIU?

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Dont think Ill be able to get in to UF being top 25% at TTTT. I think i have better shot at U.M plus i rather stay in Miami

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:51 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Disagree wholeheartedly with Mr. Fork. Not only will some (not ALL) of the bigger firms likely come to your OCI, but you will also get job postings on your simplicity for state and possibly regional job postings as they become available. Whether or not you will qualify for the jobs is a different story, but you will at least have access to them, which could be huge.
My point is that many of the benefits of transferring (landing biglaw through OCI, degree portability, clerkships) don't really apply to transfers into this range of schools. If OP has a scholarship at his current school, I question whether it is worth giving that up for what may be a marginal increase in job prospects. If OP is paying sticker, then you're right there's not much to lose.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:59 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:Disagree wholeheartedly with Mr. Fork. Not only will some (not ALL) of the bigger firms likely come to your OCI, but you will also get job postings on your simplicity for state and possibly regional job postings as they become available. Whether or not you will qualify for the jobs is a different story, but you will at least have access to them, which could be huge.
My point is that many of the benefits of transferring (landing biglaw through OCI, degree portability, clerkships) don't really apply to transfers into this range of schools. If OP has a scholarship at his current school, I question whether it is worth giving that up for what may be a marginal increase in job prospects. If OP is paying sticker, then you're right there's not much to lose.
This is TCR, and why OP absolutely needs to negotiate with his/her school for scholarship money if s/he gets into any higher ranked school as a transfer. Many schools will offer significant money at this stage, and that changes the equation.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:49 pm

+1 for sure if there is scholly $ involved. Unlikely, though, as many t4s require a 3.0 to retain the $ and op has a 2.9. Is there scholly $ involved? I would try to negotiate like the others said and just weigh your options ( transfer v. Whatever $ u get). It may not be worth it to transfer unless you can ^ grades at the t2 as your employment prospects may be similar. I would say though that it should be close to full scholly to seriously consider staying if u can get in state tuish at the t2 (assuming ur paying 30k + now)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:56 pm

I didn't read the other posts. Top 25% at a Tier Four should be admitted to most Tier Two law schools and should apply to a few Tier Ones to see what develops. Good luck !

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:16 pm

theres a guy that did this last year. T4 to dozo. didnt seem to help him at all

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”