Schools to transfer FROM Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
herewegoagain

New

Schools to transfer FROM

Post by herewegoagain » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm

I am trying to discern which schools are transfer friendly, in the sense that they do not outwardly try and stop students from transferring OUT of their schools.

After reading through a number of posts, it appears that some potential transfer students had issues with the following: obtaining LOR’s, late mark releases, terribly low grade curves, no class ranking etc.

If you have information on which schools to avoid or any schools who appear to be friendly/indifferent to transferring students, your information would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

cubswin

Silver

Re: Schools to transfer FROM

Post by cubswin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:02 pm

IBTDon't go to a school planning to transfer lecture

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:03 pm

I hear Catholic U is not transfer friendly: (1) low curve; (2) release grades late in the game.

I don't go there though.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Where do you go to school currently? If you are a current 1L, you SHOULD NOT be focused on transferring. You should be focused on getting good grades. Anything else is secondary to that. And if you aren't in school yet, then this question is irrelevant since you SHOULD NOT go to a school you aren't 100% happy graduating from, since transferring will be very unlikely. So, bottom line is that this question is irrelevant regardless of your situation.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:15 pm

this shouldn't be a decisive factor in you deciding which law school to go to, but in general, the lower the rank of the school the more transfer "unfriendly" it is, for any number of the reasons you listed. this isn't uniformly the case, but it is the norm. plus, the lower the school rank the higher your rank needs to be to transfer to a markedly better school (and thus the lower your margin for error). in other words, if you are at a T50, you probably won't have too many schools that give you problems about trying to transfer, and being ~top 5% will probably get you into most T14s. on the other hand, if you are at a lower T100 school or a TTT, you're more likely to experience administrative obstacles to your transferring, and you will also probably need to be top 1-2% of your class in order to be competitive for admission to a T14. that means one less than stellar grade could completely derail your chances, whereas at a higher ranked school one low grade probably won't kill your chances.

but again, you shouldn't base your law school choice on which school will be better for transferring out of. that's a terribly misguided decision. if you're unhappy with the selection of law school available to you because of your stats, either retake the LSAT or maybe consider getting some work experience first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:19 pm

I find questions like these from 0L's to be so odd. You have all the time in the world to study for LSAT, you can retake it, there are prep courses to help you out, etc. and yet you put more faith in your ability to be at the very top of the curve on a one-time-only law school exam with far less time for preparation and which could possibly be very different from what you expect. If the former is so difficult, what makes you think the latter will be any easier or more within your grasp?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 pm

I think it's a legit question since some schools do take steps to deter transfers out, and this information could help a 0L on the fence between two schools. However, this thread is useless because I doubt anyone will bash their former school without an anon feature.

OP: Your best bet is to just PM the people who made those posts.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 pm

No.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Transfers”