Poll: USC v. GW Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Poll: USC v. GW

USC
61%
GW
39%

Total votes: 18

Tiresias

New

Poll: USC v. GW

Post by Tiresias » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Hey everyone. I wanted to get TLS's opinion on this. Today I got into GW and I was accepted at USC last Friday. Here are my considerations.

My Objective:

My objective is to work with an Israel Practice Group. I am less concerned as to where I practice. However, there are some geographic considerations. My primary concern is job placement, and if I will be able to achieve my goal. LA has a much larger Israeli presence and more Israeli companies do business with LA companies (Israel's boom industries are Software and Pharmaceuticals)

USC Pros:

Better placement. USC has, according to NLJ slightly higher placement in the NLJ 250 (about 4-5%). However, traditionally, USC has performed much better than GW by about 10% (this was in 2009).

Smaller graduating class

Better law school culture for what I am looking for. This is pretty important for me.

GW Pros:

Better International Law program

Washington DC (in terms of familiarity and culture) has an edge but this is not a deal breaker for me.

Logistics. Moving to GW would be logistically easier. It is closer to where I currently live, and GW's OCI and Academic year would give me more time to make the move (I currently own a condo where I live and I would need to rent it out).

I would really appreciate people's constructive feedback. I need to deposit on GW by 4EST today to participate in GW's OCI. Also, if anyone knows the answer to some of these questions I would appreciate it.

1. How do transfers fare at OCI for both schools? I heard it is not great for GW.

2. How is the legal market in both? I know it isn't great, but is one significantly worse off then the other?

Thanks

Return to “Transfers”