Darn you all. I'm going. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choose

Stay at NU
20%
Go to H-----D
54%
Go to H--l
26%

Total votes: 94

lawyerkobe

New

Re: Darn you all. I'm going.

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:I'm not sure what the issue is. H has need based scholarships, and if you are over a certain age, they don't count your parents income. Thus, most people over whatever age, get some money.
I know how the system works. I've been through it.
lawyerkobe wrote:Ok. Is that an issue? Do the mods not like poor people?
This isn't amusing, and I don't like liars or trolls.
Sorry dude. I'm not lying, and this isn't a troll. I'm not exactly sure what is bothering you about this.

Perhaps you didn't like the cavalier way I spoke of being "tossed 30k". But I'm not apologizing. There is nothing wrong with what I said or how I said it. There is nothing wrong with what I did. I submitted all my financial information, and my parents' tax return. I've been poor as a church-mouse my whole life, and I am not ashamed to take a scholarship for law school based on it.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 pm

Do you like NU? Seems like a lot of factors are 50/50 here. Do you want to start over socially? Do you want to move from Chi to Cambridge? Seems like you should go with your gut based on these factors.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:01 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:Sorry dude. I'm not lying, and this isn't a troll. I'm not exactly sure what is bothering you about this.

Perhaps you didn't like the cavalier way I spoke of being "tossed 30k". But I'm not apologizing. There is nothing wrong with what I said or how I said it. There is nothing wrong with what I did. I submitted all my financial information, and my parents' tax return. I've been poor as a church-mouse my whole life, and I am not ashamed to take a scholarship for law school based on it.
I don't have a problem with you getting awarded $$$, and I never objected to the idea of you receiving a scholarship. But I asked what you meant by "threw" money at you, and you wouldn't give any details, and I've never heard of them coming up with an award that quickly. As far as I'm aware they won't even start the financial aid process until after you've accepted, so I still don't see how they "threw" you money while you were still considering what to do.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:Sorry dude. I'm not lying, and this isn't a troll. I'm not exactly sure what is bothering you about this.

I don't have a problem with you getting awarded $$$, and I never objected to the idea of you receiving a scholarship. But I asked what you meant by "threw" money at you, and you wouldn't give any details, and I've never heard of them coming up with an award that quickly. As far as I'm aware they won't even start the financial aid process until after you've accepted, so I still don't see how they "threw" you money while you were still considering what to do.
I am accepted. This thread is not theoretical. They want an answer by friday, and I'm stewing on it 24/7

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 pm

abl wrote:Um...in what universe will your biglaw chances be better out of NU than HLS? Or did I read that incorrectly?
In the world where you already have great grades from NU? HLS places better than NU all else being equal. All else, as you can see is not equal.

OP will still do very well if they transfer to HLS, but it's not going to make the job hunt easier out the gate. It will present additional logistical and personal hurdles, and may or may not pay dividends of some form later on. It's a murky choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:I am accepted. This thread is not theoretical. They want an answer by friday, and I'm stewing on it 24/7
I didn't say until you were accepted. I said until you have accepted, as in, told them you're accepting a seat there. If you were able to get an award out of financial aid that quickly, then, well... I have to applaud you, because you pulled off a miracle.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:I am accepted. This thread is not theoretical. They want an answer by friday, and I'm stewing on it 24/7
I didn't say until you were accepted. I said until you have accepted, as in, told them you're accepting a seat there. If you were able to get an award out of financial aid that quickly, then, well... I have to applaud you, because you pulled off a miracle.
Oh. I didn't know that. I assumed they tried to get an answer before you had to commit.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:Oh. I didn't know that. I assumed they tried to get an answer before you had to commit.
I didn't even get the chance to start talking to financial aid last year until after I'd accepted. Maybe they're doing things differently this year, but it's the reason I'm skeptical. I've never seen a law school financial aid office move that quickly, regardless of whether you can talk to them or not.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:17 pm

thesealocust wrote:
abl wrote:Um...in what universe will your biglaw chances be better out of NU than HLS? Or did I read that incorrectly?
In the world where you already have great grades from NU? HLS places better than NU all else being equal. All else, as you can see is not equal.

OP will still do very well if they transfer to HLS, but it's not going to make the job hunt easier out the gate. It will present additional logistical and personal hurdles, and may or may not pay dividends of some form later on. It's a murky choice.
It is murky. I think I'll flip a coin thursday night.
My boss for the summer says to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:Oh. I didn't know that. I assumed they tried to get an answer before you had to commit.
I didn't even get the chance to start talking to financial aid last year until after I'd accepted. Maybe they're doing things differently this year, but it's the reason I'm skeptical. I've never seen a law school financial aid office move that quickly, regardless of whether you can talk to them or not.
well, I was accepted last friday, and they gave me 2 weeks to decide.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Do it.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Do it.
You just want less competition at OCI

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:28 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:
Obviously.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
Obviously.
My woman's intuition tells me Holly Golightly may have other reasons for providing this advice.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
Obviously.
My woman's intuition tells me Holly Golightly may have other reasons for providing this advice.
Wants my girlfriend?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:42 pm

The fact that law schools even use grades and have wide-ranging grading/curve systems tells me that they don't believe their own hype about the LSAT, which is used to "sort" students.

If the powers that be really believed students were sorted correctly, they wouldn't even use grades. All law schools would be on the Yale, Stanford or Berkeley system. But alas, the schools know they make many admission mistakes. Nonpredictors get into schools well-below their deserved caliber(s), and the student studs are often overrated.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:44 pm

PDaddy wrote:The fact that law schools even use grades and have wide-ranging grading/curve systems tells me that they don't believe their own hype about the LSAT, which is used to "sort" students.

If the powers that be really believed students were sorted correctly, they wouldn't even use grades. All law schools would be on the Yale, Stanford or Berkeley system. But alas, the schools know they make many admission mistakes. Nonpredictors get into schools well-below their deserved caliber(s), and the student studs are often overrated.
Of course. It's all about my orientation week gunning. That's what makes me outperform my LSAT/GPA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 pm

HLS is forever. It will open doors for you FOREVER. The alumni network is huge. It's a panty-dropper (it worked on me, until it started working on hotter chicks and he dumped me). This OCI is just a tiny part of your entire career.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:47 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
lawyerkobe wrote:
Obviously.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Horsefeathers

New

Post by Horsefeathers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 pm

lawyerkobe wrote:Here it is: NU ---> H.
2. While Biglaw may work, I think I'll have more choices if it makes me suicidal. At least I'll be able to know I have choices.
Hey OP, another reason that favors Harvard: Say you stay at NU, go the biglaw route, get suicidal, and switch to PI or something else. My understanding is that you'd have already forfeited your LRAP eligibility at NU, since their website says that you've got to start in PI immediately after graduate.

I'd think H would be a hell of a lot more inclusive with their LRAP.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:58 pm

Horsefeathers wrote:
2. While Biglaw may work, I think I'll have more choices if it makes me suicidal. At least I'll be able to know I have choices.
Hey OP, another reason that favors Harvard: Say you stay at NU, go the biglaw route, get suicidal, and switch to PI or something else. My understanding is that you'd have already forfeited your LRAP eligibility at NU, since their website says that you've got to start in PI immediately after graduate.

Thank you. I should look into that.

(Of course, if I get suicidal, I'm not switching to PI- I'm committing suicide.)
Also, do you mean Personal Injury law? Because that's even worse.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 am

IAFG wrote:HLS is forever. It will open doors for you FOREVER. The alumni network is huge. It's a panty-dropper (it worked on me, until it started working on hotter chicks and he dumped me). This OCI is just a tiny part of your entire career.
I have reviewed the facts and no concur with IAFG. You should definitely transfer to Harvard.

lawyerkobe

New

Post by lawyerkobe » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 am

thesealocust wrote:
IAFG wrote:HLS is forever. It will open doors for you FOREVER. The alumni network is huge. It's a panty-dropper (it worked on me, until it started working on hotter chicks and he dumped me). This OCI is just a tiny part of your entire career.
I have reviewed the facts and now concur with IAFG. You should definitely transfer to Harvard.
I usually only laugh at my own comments, but I made an exception.

Horsefeathers

New

Post by Horsefeathers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:02 am

lawyerkobe wrote:
Horsefeathers wrote:

Thank you. I should look into that.

(Of course, if I get suicidal, I'm not switching to PI- I'm committing suicide.)
Also, do you mean Personal Injury law? Because that's even worse.
Fuck no. public interest. :P

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 am

IAFG has a magical V5 vagina too. If HLS works on it, I smell a bright future.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Transfers”