Should I transfer from Suffolk to BC/BU? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HRJ

New

Should I transfer from Suffolk to BC/BU?

Post by HRJ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:13 pm

I just got accepted into BC, and I'm hoping to hear from BU in the next couple of days. I'm top 3% of my class, just got a 25% tuition merit scholarship at Suffolk. No word yet on financial aid info from BC. I'm currently writing my Law Review Write-On and feel confident that I'll be invited on. BC has clearly stated that they do not take any transfers onto Law Review.

What do you guys think? I was told that if I get my deposit in by Friday, I am eligible for OCI, but I'm not sure how I will be received with my Suffolk grades.

caligirl07

New

Re: Should I transfer from Suffolk to BC/BU?

Post by caligirl07 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:33 pm

HRJ wrote:I just got accepted into BC, and I'm hoping to hear from BU in the next couple of days. I'm top 3% of my class, just got a 25% tuition merit scholarship at Suffolk. No word yet on financial aid info from BC. I'm currently writing my Law Review Write-On and feel confident that I'll be invited on. BC has clearly stated that they do not take any transfers onto Law Review.

What do you guys think? I was told that if I get my deposit in by Friday, I am eligible for OCI, but I'm not sure how I will be received with my Suffolk grades.
I go to BC so obviously I'm biased, but I think it's a great school and I’m so happy with my decision. I choose BC over the higher ranked BU b/c I liked the feel of the school. :)

Also, BC does take write-ons for transfer students. I'm on a journal and they specifically told us yesterday that they couldn't release the bench memo (the memo they give to the graders to help rank the submissions and determine who makes the cut) until after the transfer students turned in all the packets in late August. I'd double check that again. Call John Gordon, the publications manager at BC, (617) 552-8557.

Top 3% is no joke and the 25% tuition scholarship isn't either. Do you ultimately want to practice in Boston? I hear that Suffolk has a great reputation in Boston, but I'm not sure how great they place in other areas… Tough choice. Good luck!

HRJ

New

Post by HRJ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for the reply!

You are right, we can write-on, but only for some journals, not law review according to the website: "In the interest of full disclosure, you should understand that the Boston College Law Review will be fully staffed; your participation in the competition, therefore, is for a staff position on one of the remaining publications." Maybe they just say this so students do not get their hopes up.

You mentioned that the bench memo is not released until after transfers turn in their packets. Have you guys already gone through the first round of selections for current students?

caligirl07

New

Post by caligirl07 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:58 am

HRJ wrote:Thanks for the reply!

You are right, we can write-on, but only for some journals, not law review according to the website: "In the interest of full disclosure, you should understand that the Boston College Law Review will be fully staffed; your participation in the competition, therefore, is for a staff position on one of the remaining publications." Maybe they just say this so students do not get their hopes up.

You mentioned that the bench memo is not released until after transfers turn in their packets. Have you guys already gone through the first round of selections for current students?
Yes, we completed the packet right after finals and they already announced those who made it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”