Vandy v. Northwestern Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
boston13

New

Vandy v. Northwestern

Post by boston13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi all, as many others have done, I also am seeking some transfer insight, specifically whether I should transfer to NU or stay at Vandy. I was born in chicago and lived there all my life, aside from undergrad, I have strong job connections in chicago which i hope would help regardless of where i end up finishing out my law career, and have been working with the former chief judge of the ND IL in Chicago this summer. I know there is not a huge difference in rank (aside from NU being T14), however I am hoping to land a biglaw job in either Chicago or NY and was wondering whether NU would greatly increase my chances of doing so? (NU OCI includes over 50 Chi firms, 49 NY/Vandy approx. 7 from chi, 19 from NY)

This really has become a difficult decision, esp since I like Vandy so much, so thanks to all for any advice.
Last edited by boston13 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Vandy v. Northwestern

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

In light of your goal of obtaining either Chicago or NYC biglaw, the easy answer between Vanderbilt & Northwestern is NU. If accepted to NYU, then you need to decide if you want NYC biglaw enough to reduce your chances at Chicago biglaw---but NYU students may be better able to address Chicago biglaw placement from NYU. Even as a fan of the Top 17, between Northwestern & Vanderbilt, the answer seems obvious. If admitted to Columbia, then you need to repost.

boston13

New

Post by boston13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks CW, always respect your expert advice.
Last edited by boston13 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:44 pm

If you really want NY, I'd transfer to Cornell if you can't swing NYU or Columbia. If you got into NU, Cornell should also be in reach.

If that's not an option, I think it's really a coin flip. NU will have better prospects in NYC in the aggregate, but there's also no guarantee that you'll do as well at NU as you have at Vandy. On the other hand, if you're from Chicago, you'll likely be familiar with NU and the adjustment won't be so hard. I don't think you can really go wrong either way as between these two schools at this point. All else being equal I'd say go to NU. But if you're happy at Vandy and continue to do well, you'll likely be competitive for the opportunities you seek.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:49 pm

woeisme wrote:If you really want NY, I'd transfer to Cornell if you can't swing NYU or Columbia. If you got into NU, Cornell should also be in reach.

If that's not an option, I think it's really a coin flip. NU will have better prospects in NYC in the aggregate, but there's also no guarantee that you'll do as well at NU as you have at Vandy. On the other hand, if you're from Chicago, you'll likely be familiar with NU and the adjustment won't be so hard. I don't think you can really go wrong either way as between these two schools at this point. All else being equal I'd say go to NU. But if you're happy at Vandy and continue to do well, you'll likely be competitive for the opportunities you seek.
What about Michigan vs. Cornell for NYC/NJ? I know you go to Cornell and I personally love the school and will troll for them all day long -- but at the same time, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around turning down a T10. Especially after reading a ton of Chambers Associate profiles that seemed to emphasize the T10 distinction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:01 pm

keg411 wrote:
What about Michigan vs. Cornell for NYC/NJ? I know you go to Cornell and I personally love the school and will troll for them all day long -- but at the same time, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around turning down a T10. Especially after reading a ton of Chambers Associate profiles that seemed to emphasize the T10 distinction.
Link me to the T10 distinction thing. I've never seen it. For NYC/NJ (and east coast) I'd still say Cornell. I'd take Michigan for midwest and probably west coast though.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:04 pm

woeisme wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Link me to the T10 distinction thing. I've never seen it. For NYC/NJ (and east coast) I'd still say Cornell. I'd take Michigan for midwest and probably west coast though.
Tbf, "Top Ten" is the parlance used by every law professor in America.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:09 pm

flcath wrote: Tbf, "Top Ten" is the parlance used by every law professor in America.
If any professors use that, it's those at schools ranked 7-10. I think T14 is more common/traditional. I've also heard T20, though that's mainly used by those outside T14.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:20 pm

woeisme wrote:
flcath wrote: Tbf, "Top Ten" is the parlance used by every law professor in America.
If any professors use that, it's those at schools ranked 7-10. I think T14 is more common/traditional. I've also heard T20, though that's mainly used by those outside T14.
I think it's our generation that started the T14 thing (BL certainly thinks so), and the only reason I bring it up is because I've consistently heard the term used by them, and it's so at odds with what you hear among students.

And I'm at ND, which has no stake in the T 10/13/14 nomenclature.

Edit: And just so you know, I don't think the T10 line is meaningful at this point (I think the meaningful cutoffs are probably something like 3/6/13/17/25ish).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm

You probably know me; I probably know you. That's okay though.

You doing NYC early interview thing?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:00 pm

keg411 wrote:
woeisme wrote:If you really want NY, I'd transfer to Cornell if you can't swing NYU or Columbia. If you got into NU, Cornell should also be in reach.

Re: law professors. When they went to law school, even if it was like early 90s, Penn and Berkeley were not top 10s and Duke was.

There is no T10 distinction. When I've heard people use it it's usually in the "10-ish" sense.
Last edited by rayiner on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am

rayiner wrote:There is no T10 distinction. When I've heard people use it it's usually in the "10-ish" sense.
Thanks Ray.

Also -- Cornell's out for me because their Career Services basically shut transfers out of their big NY job fair, but I got into NU. So what do you think about NU vs. Mich for northeast markets? Or is it more of a college town vs. city decision since neither school is really as northeast-centric as Cornell/Penn/NYU/CLS? I think I "fit" the NU profile better (old, lots of WE, shitty undergrad GPA), but I've really liked everything I've been reading about Mich and I get the feeling it's more "laid back" in general (which I need, since I'm kind of high strung).

Feel free to PM me if that's easier.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:24 am

rayiner wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Re: law professors. When they went to law school, even if it was like early 90s, Penn and Berkeley were not top 10s and Duke was.

There is no T10 distinction. When I've heard people use it it's usually in the "10-ish" sense.
Agreed. I think that's about as finely as law profs (or anyone not actively engaged in seeking or recruiting for an entry-level position) parse it down, though.

Dude in the "law prof taking Qs" thread said he doesn't even recognize CCN, which I think most of us see as the most meaningful grouping between HYS and T14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”