Another Should I Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
non sequitur

New

Another Should I Transfer

Post by non sequitur » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 pm

I've been accepted to Iowa Law. Not a T14, I know, but it is a significant jump from my current TTT school. I took my acceptance to my current school for scholarship negotiations, but they are playing hardball. My situation is basically this:

I will lose my scholarship by going to Iowa. However, the tuition will be lower at Iowa than my current school, so I will end up paying about $3,000-$4,000 a year more by paying full sticker at Iowa. That almost seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the crushing debt load I'll have, but better job prospects to couple with it. On the other hand, I've made Law Review at my TTT, and am top 15%. Almost assuredly, I would not make LR at Iowa. I basically need the best chance I can get to pay off the debt in a reasonable amount of time.

Thoughts? Guidance?

Nacirema

New

Re: Another Should I Transfer

Post by Nacirema » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:46 pm

100% go

CindyLarson84

New

Post by CindyLarson84 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Nacirema wrote:100% go
+1

boilerplated

New

Post by boilerplated » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Any cost savings of less than $10K should not dissuade you from picking the school that's better for you. Go ahead and transfer. Also, congrats.

trbenton13

New

Post by trbenton13 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

I'd be looking for apartments in Iowa right now if I were you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

non sequitur

New

Post by non sequitur » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Nacirema wrote:100% go
Does Law Review not provide enough of a boost to justify staying at all?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:06 am

1. Yes, you should 100% go.
2. If you have any question about Iowa, feel free to ask/PM.
3. I am likely to transfer and thus will be subletting my apartment. It is a 1 bedroom at Seville, which is where the majority of law students live here at Iowa. I have to let them know soon that I am leaving so they can start offering it to people who are still calling for 1 bedrooms here, but if you are interested I can tell them I have someone who wants it and you can give them a call.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 am

non sequitur wrote:I've been accepted to Iowa Law. Not a T14, I know, but it is a significant jump from my current TTT school. I took my acceptance to my current school for scholarship negotiations, but they are playing hardball. My situation is basically this:

I will lose my scholarship by going to Iowa. However, the tuition will be lower at Iowa than my current school, so I will end up paying about $3,000-$4,000 a year more by paying full sticker at Iowa. That almost seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the crushing debt load I'll have, but better job prospects to couple with it. On the other hand, I've made Law Review at my TTT, and am top 15%. Almost assuredly, I would not make LR at Iowa. I basically need the best chance I can get to pay off the debt in a reasonable amount of time.

Thoughts? Guidance?
Where do you want to work? What type of law do you want to practice?

K.R.I.T.

New

Post by K.R.I.T. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 am

Are you packing yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

m1234

New

Post by m1234 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

If you want to work in NYC I would compare the interviewers at each school participating in OCI. Go to the ones with the most NYC recruiters. Iowa is a more regional based school similar to TTT, so if you want an NYC job look for the school with the most presence in the city to give you the best shot at interviewing and eventually getting a position.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:54 am

m1234 wrote:If you want to work in NYC I would compare the interviewers at each school participating in OCI. Go to the ones with the most NYC recruiters. Iowa is a more regional based school similar to TTT, so if you want an NYC job look for the school with the most presence in the city to give you the best shot at interviewing and eventually getting a position.
This.

Iowa will place better in the midwest than your current school does in its home market probably. Unless you're deadset on NYC (or whatever city your school is in), Iowa is the best career move.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 pm

traehekat wrote:1. Yes, you should 100% go.
2. If you have any question about Iowa, feel free to ask/PM.
3. I am likely to transfer and thus will be subletting my apartment. It is a 1 bedroom at Seville, which is where the majority of law students live here at Iowa. I have to let them know soon that I am leaving so they can start offering it to people who are still calling for 1 bedrooms here, but if you are interested I can tell them I have someone who wants it and you can give them a call.
Update: I am 100% transferring. Just filled out the sublet papers, if you interested you would be able to move in somewhere between Aug. 2-4.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”