Northwestern or wait? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Northwestern or wait?

Northwestern
78%
Wait for the others
22%

Total votes: 18

lawstudento

New

Northwestern or wait?

Post by lawstudento » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 pm

I was just admitted to Northwestern. I still have applications pending at Cornell, Duke, Penn, and Michigan. I don't think I have particularly strong chances at any of the schools, but I somehow got into NU, so who knows. I'd like to practice business litigation and the like, doesn't have to be a big firm. I'm hoping to move back to California after graduation.

Question is: given my interest in business/litigation, for which I'll want to work in a firm, would it even be the right decision to go to any of the other schools? All things being equal, am I better off elsewhere if I can get in? Or should I start packing for Chicago and withdraw the apps?

I am across the country and I have a LOT to do to get ready and make the move. If it's better to wait and see, then I'll do it. But if it is basically moot whether I'm admitted elsewhere, then I can start making arrangements.
Last edited by lawstudento on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacklawboss

Silver

Re: Northwestern or wait?

Post by blacklawboss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Count your blessings and choose between the Cubs or White Sox

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Count your blessings and choose between the Cubs or White Sox
And show an undying love for the Bulls, as the city is obsessed with them and they are actually relevant to their sport.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:30 pm

In all seriousness though, unless you have a specific geographic preference or eternal hate for the city of Chicago, all the schools you listed are peers so you should just go to NW and enjoy your final two years of law school.

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Northwestern is great, but I'd wait for Penn or Michigan if it were me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 pm

How long do you have until you need to respond to Northwestern's offer ?

lawstudento

New

Post by lawstudento » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Technically the 21st, but there is a bid deadline for a interview program on the 15th, so i figure I'll set a deadline of the 14th.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Northwestern. Not sure if Cornell & Duke place well in California---probably not better than NU. Regardless, as your only option is Northwestern--and it is a great option--the answer should be clear.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:52 pm

transplantedbuckeye wrote:Northwestern is great, but I'd wait for Penn or Michigan if it were me.
uh, seriously? TINTCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:17 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
transplantedbuckeye wrote:Northwestern is great, but I'd wait for Penn or Michigan if it were me.
uh, seriously? TINTCR
Notice I said WHAT I WOULD DO.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 pm

transplantedbuckeye wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
uh, seriously? TINTCR
Notice I said WHAT I WOULD DO.
how can you even say that? you're not in that situation. anyone in their right mind would get their shit together as early as possible and start making moves instead of waiting on peer schools

lawstudento

New

Post by lawstudento » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm

This seems to be the lay of the land:

Penn/Mich seem to be slightly better in employment opportunity. Probably not a big difference in an individual case since I'm not really looking for one of those "special" opportunities. They are, however, probably worth pushing for an answer if I can get it before I need to bid at NU.

Duke/Cornell seem to be more in line with NU and given that, I'd much rather take the business focus of NU (really excited about a number of aspects of this).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 pm

lawstudento wrote:Penn/Mich seem to be slightly better in employment opportunity.
From a regular admissions perspective this is not the lay of the land at all. They are peer schools.

I won't say more because I'm sure that there nuances i/r/t transferring that I as a 0L know nothing about (e.g. getting on LR).

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:04 pm

lawstudento wrote:This seems to be the lay of the land:

Penn/Mich seem to be slightly better in employment opportunity. Probably not a big difference in an individual case since I'm not really looking for one of those "special" opportunities. They are, however, probably worth pushing for an answer if I can get it before I need to bid at NU.

Duke/Cornell seem to be more in line with NU and given that, I'd much rather take the business focus of NU (really excited about a number of aspects of this).
Why not see if NU will give you an extra week or two to decide?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”