Deposit Qeustion Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rshakle

New

Deposit Qeustion

Post by rshakle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm in at WUSTL - which is great.

The $800 deposit by 7/15, but I need to pay today in order to be eligible for early OCI. However, I haven't heard back from a couple other schools that I am considering yet. If I submit the deposit today will that negatively impact being accepted to other schools. WUSTL's online deposit website phrases it like this:

Check here if you accept your offer and will be attending. (And pay the 800)

OR

Check here if you wish to turn down your offer of admission.

Will accepting preclude me from backing out/accepting another school's offer later? ( I understand that the $ will be lost.)

Thanks! A quick response would be great as I am doing this right now.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Re: Deposit Qeustion

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:27 pm

rshakle wrote:I'm in at WUSTL - which is great.

The $800 deposit by 7/15, but I need to pay today in order to be eligible for early OCI. However, I haven't heard back from a couple other schools that I am considering yet. If I submit the deposit today will that negatively impact being accepted to other schools. WUSTL's online deposit website phrases it like this:

Check here if you accept your offer and will be attending. (And pay the 800)

OR

Check here if you wish to turn down your offer of admission.

Will accepting preclude me from backing out/accepting another school's offer later? ( I understand that the $ will be lost.)

Thanks! A quick response would be great as I am doing this right now.
Call the school and ask. GULC didn't care that I withdrew after sending a deposit in (EA), but Mich told me I had to withdraw from other schools once I sent in my deposit.

lovelaw27

Bronze

Post by lovelaw27 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Bidding at WUSTL for eiw ends at noon tomorrow. It is going to take a little bit of time for them to send you your registration information for OCI, and you need to make a cover letter for most of the employers. In other words you may have run out of time to do eiw. Also bidding for some of the off campus programs is already over. You may want to consider going to a different school, or calling the school when it opens tomorrow, try and get the registration done as quick as possible and see how many cover letters you can get done. You are in a tough spot.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:21 pm

rshakle wrote:Will accepting preclude me from backing out/accepting another school's offer later? ( I understand that the $ will be lost.)
No.

K.R.I.T.

New

Post by K.R.I.T. » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:13 am

I had the same question regarding WUSTL's deposit language. I'm still waiting on two decisions... so this won't be binding?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rshakle

New

Post by rshakle » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:03 pm

thanks for the heads up lovelaw - I was able to get my login info this morning and bid on as many firms as I could.

boilerplated

New

Post by boilerplated » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:07 pm

I found this searching the forum archives: http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... oodadm.pdf

Relevant language:
After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission.
This seems to be written for first-year applicants, but it doesn't say it only applies to those applicants. Does anyone more familiar with LSAC policies know whether this applies to transfer students as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”