Dean Certification Fees (rant) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
panascooter

New

Dean Certification Fees (rant)

Post by panascooter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Anybody else have to deal with exorbitant fees for deans certifications and letters of class standing? $250?!? Really? I'm all for friendly efforts to retain top students, but the fact that they're trying to bleed me on the way out doesn't qualify as "friendly." It won't keep me from applying, but it will piss me off on the way out if I make the tough decision to leave.

traehekat

Gold

Re: Dean Certification Fees (rant)

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Woah, do these typically cost a lot of money at other schools? I never knew much about them, but I just assumed they were either free or there was maybe a small fee, comparable to a transcript request.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:29 pm

traehekat wrote:Woah, do these typically cost a lot of money at other schools? I never knew much about them, but I just assumed they were either free or there was maybe a small fee, comparable to a transcript request.
We don't get charged anything at Notre Dame.

In fact, I'm a little creeped out by how happily and easily our registrar fills these things out...

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Free at my T2 as well. That smacks of exTTTortion if you ask me.

specialblend35

New

Post by specialblend35 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 pm

That's fucking insane.

It's $25 per letter at my T2. Nowhere near $250, but it can still add up quick if you apply broadly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

panascooter

New

Post by panascooter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Wholigan wrote:Free at my T2 as well. That smacks of exTTTortion if you ask me.
This is something I'd expect from some unacreddited Ave Pizza Southern Community College of Law. But no, this is at a T25 school that until now I felt had a fair/open administration in terms of policies and procedures. I'll be shocked if I can talk them out of it, but I'll sure try. Maybe they'll find the exTTTortion label convincing.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:08 pm

+1. Also, our transcripts appear to be free now as well (at least I've been trying to send them and haven't been charged; but maybe there is just something wrong with the program).

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:11 pm

This reeks of Emory.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 pm

keg411 wrote:
+1. Also, our transcripts appear to be free now as well (at least I've been trying to send them and haven't been charged; but maybe there is just something wrong with the program).
Really? That's good news. At least it will be if I ever get my last grade and have a transcript to send. I had to pay for mine when applying for a scholarship a few months ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:43 pm

$40/school at my T2. Applied to 6 schools, so they got $240 out of me. To send a damn transcript when I already paid $40k in tuition.

Seriously bullshit. Actually makes me want to transfer MORE.

stuckinparadise

New

Post by stuckinparadise » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Only $7 at my school, however... I just found out that because I am transferring, I am no longer work study eligible, i.e. I have to quit my job/no $$$$ (research assistant).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:13 pm

Wholigan wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Really? That's good news. At least it will be if I ever get my last grade and have a transcript to send. I had to pay for mine when applying for a scholarship a few months ago.
I had to pay when I sent mine to LSAC. But then I just tried to sent a bunch more recently and I haven't been charged. Weird.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:34 pm

My school sends for free... you don't even have to supply them envelopes!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”