another personal statement question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ajmax8

New

another personal statement question

Post by ajmax8 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 am

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I am applying to transfer from my current T3 back home to DC (preferably gee dubs as I am an IP guy). I finished first semester around top 7% with a 3.8. I am writing my personal statement, and besides focusing on the usual "it's a better school" part, I am trying to emphasize the fact that I want to be closer to my family and long-term girlfriend, both of which motivated me quite a bit to do well first year (hopefully be getting married in a few years, but waiting until law school is over). I went far away for undergrad, and I've been doing long-distance the whole time. I am unsure how admissions view the whole girlfriend v. married factor, but obviously, being married "looks better" on paper. Any suggestions on approaches to this subject? I have some, but I am looking for further help, thanks.

johndhi

Bronze

Re: another personal statement question

Post by johndhi » Thu May 26, 2011 12:26 pm

This is good stuff that matters to admissions people, at least according to what they say.

The way you put it here, "long-term girlfriend" maybe "whom I hope to marry after law school" sounds pretty good/solid/genuine. "Committed relationship" is probably another good one. Could also mention the parents might help you in a young marriage.

ajmax8

New

Post by ajmax8 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:02 am

thanks, I've used that sort of terminology, I just want to ensure that admissions knows I am being sincere about my personal reasons for transferring.

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Fri May 27, 2011 11:10 am

I have a similar situation as the OP... transferring to a school near family, loved ones, lived in the area for quite some time, etc...

TO piggy back off his question, is it ok to also mention price differential b/w the schools as a compelling reason?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”