Advice? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ms2010

Bronze

Advice?

Post by ms2010 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello all,

I've posted here before, but now that it's really transfer time, I wanted to see if anyone had some advice. I'm currently at my state school (ranked in the 50s) get in-state tuition + scholarship. In other words, I pay about 10K total per year to attend. I'm really unhappy at the school and can't imagine being stuck here for another two years. Plus, I want to practice in NYC and it only places a very small fraction of kids in NYC. I have a 3.6 after last semester, which should be about top 10-15%ish. I have some softs (bunch of awards + 2 CALIs). I've put in apps to a whole bunch of schools, but I am really looking for advice regarding which schools people think I can actually get into and which would be worth giving up my low tuition.

Thanks all.

thexfactor

Silver

Re: Advice?

Post by thexfactor » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 am

The problem you have right now is that your grades are good, but might not be good enough to get into anything better than wustl/emory/gw. Im not sure transferring to wustl/uiuc/emory level is worth it since you have a huge scholarship at your old school. You can prob negotiate that scholly to a full ride if you are still in the top 15%.

Do you like the region that the t50 places into?

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 am

thexfactor wrote:The problem you have right now is that your grades are good, but might not be good enough to get into anything better than wustl/emory/gw. Im not sure transferring to wustl/uiuc/emory level is worth it since you have a huge scholarship at your old school. You can prob negotiate that scholly to a full ride if you are still in the top 15%.

No. Not at all. I was under the impression (from the school) that they placed in NYC well, but have since discovered that this is far from true. I can PM you the school's name. Also, I'd be very unhappy practicing in the area where the school places. I came here because the $ and because I was told that it would be more than possible to work in NYC upon graduation, but I never imagined I'd hate the school so much.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:26 am

thexfactor wrote:The problem you have right now is that your grades are good, but might not be good enough to get into anything better than wustl/emory/gw. Im not sure transferring to wustl/uiuc/emory level is worth it since you have a huge scholarship at your old school. You can prob negotiate that scholly to a full ride if you are still in the top 15%.

Also - the school won't negotiate more scholarship.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 am

I should also note that I moved home for family reasons, of which I write very personally about in my personal statement. Do you think I have any shot at a school like Fordham?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue May 24, 2011 9:48 am

pmed. im not sure fordham allows transfers to do oci.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”