Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Chiglaw

New

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Post by Chiglaw » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:43 pm

uzpakalis wrote:
mrosmith wrote:Did anyones mich status checker change to decision before you got your call? Mine changed to decision today, the 4th. I'm assuming it's a ding. But I already got into Georgetown, so I'm not too mad.
What status checker???
WHAT STATUS CHECKER?!?!?!

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Chiglaw wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:
mrosmith wrote:Did anyones mich status checker change to decision before you got your call? Mine changed to decision today, the 4th. I'm assuming it's a ding. But I already got into Georgetown, so I'm not too mad.
What status checker???
WHAT STATUS CHECKER?!?!?!
There is none. This one dude was able to check his status because he was a Michigan undergrad and plugged his pre-existing University ID number in and got a status, and then proceeded to get everyone all worked up. For everyone else who was not a Michigan undergrad there is no status checker as they are not giving out any ID numbers they are assigning.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:38 pm

I know some of the transfers on here have mentioned that they got around 20 or so interviews. I read in another thread that the average amount of interviews UMich students get is around 10 or 11...

Do transfer students typically get more interviews because they technically meet more hiring criteria with their GPA's and rank? (even though it's obviously from their old school).

Incanate

New

Post by Incanate » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 am

Interviews are assigned by lottery - grades are not a factor whatsoever. Also, don't think you're in a better position than most students because you're a transfer: for many firms, it'll be an uphill battle not having grades at Michigan.

The number of interviews transfers had ranged from a low of 10 to a high of 18 or so. The average was about 14-15.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:33 pm

tww909 wrote:not to turn this into a chances thread, but top 6% at another big ten school (t35) is competitive, right? i would be thrilled to get in.

did you get the sense that there was a uniting idea behind the admissions decisions? were they seeking people who seemed really interested in going to michigan?

how easy was it to get the classes you wanted to take in your first semester?

can anyone comment on the accessibility of the professors, and how easy it was to make good connections with them? were they more or less available than professors at your old school? i'm really interested in clerkships, and obviously with transferring the window to make a positive impression and gain recommenders is narrower than would be ideal. also if any of you have applied for clerkships or have any experience with how transferring plays in that process i'd love to hear about that too.
i was top 10% at a t25 school and got in, so i think your stats make you competitive, at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”