Transferring. Should I write on at current school? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Big Shrimpin

Gold

Re: Transferring. Should I write on at current school?

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:50 pm

tycho_brahe wrote:i don't dispute that it can provide a small bonus. however, i do question, as subsequent posters have, whether or not the effort involved would be worth that small advantage.
tycho_brahe wrote:
DeSimone wrote:How ridiculous would it be to write something like "did not write on to LR as received transfer acceptance prior to competition"?
definitely don't do this. all you'd do is draw attention to the fact that you didn't participate. resumes are a place to sell yourself, not make excuses.
This sort of illustrates the issue here, and I'll agree with you that we're arguing about the effort:advantage ratio. Your last poast illustrates my earlier point, however, about perceptions. You've sort of proved my point that a first impression could be, "hmm, I wonder why this dood didn't even try to write-on...I guess he/she wasn't hedging bets, so how does that reflect upon his/her potential work ethic, if hired?"

As a matter of degree, some people are more willing than others to take steps to get a jerb. To be sure, I'm not telling OP or anyone else to do the competition or else they're fcked and will never get a job. Yet, ITE, I don't think it would be wise for anybody (especially someone like me, trying to advise the younger LS cohort) to take certain actions/shortcuts when it comes to activities/whatever that come into play during the jerb search. I'm not saying that it will or will not come up in an interview, but with the possibility that it does (as evidenced by poasters here being asked about it during OCI), why not hedge against a potentially awkward conversation? (as an aside, some schools won't do their transfer competitions until AFTER OCI, so my advice is more applicable in those situations, I'd think)

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Is is still worth mentioning if you write onto a secondary journal at your old school?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Is it worth it to mention that you contemplated writing onto a secondary journal but decided not to?

tycho_brahe

New

Post by tycho_brahe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote: As a matter of degree, some people are more willing than others to take steps to get a jerb. To be sure, I'm not telling OP or anyone else to do the competition or else they're fcked and will never get a job. Yet, ITE, I don't think it would be wise for anybody (especially someone like me, trying to advise the younger LS cohort) to take certain actions/shortcuts when it comes to activities/whatever that come into play during the jerb search. I'm not saying that it will or will not come up in an interview, but with the possibility that it does (as evidenced by poasters here being asked about it during OCI), why not hedge against a potentially awkward conversation? (as an aside, some schools won't do their transfer competitions until AFTER OCI, so my advice is more applicable in those situations, I'd think)
I guess if you're sitting around boozing and watching TV rather than writing-on, then I might agree. But there are some costs to taking the time to write-on. For example, how would your 1L summer employer feel about you taking time off to do both write-on competitions? Or, if you don't take time off, will you be able to really bust your ass for your 1L employer while doing a write-on? These are real costs to your future job prospects as well--maybe not at OCI (I don't know if interviewers call references or not), but certainly down the road.

I agree with the your point about the later transfer write-on competitions, and don't think my concerns really apply there.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:52 pm

A lot of good advice in this thread.

I'll add my .02 cents: you already have an acceptance and are just about positive you will be transferring, so the only reason to write on would be just in case your spring grades bomb and you don't want to transfer to GULC, or you really want to put that "invited to join X law review" on your resume, which I can say from experience was absolutely useless.

Your time would be better spent contacting a secondary journal at your new school immediately after you decide where you will be transferring to so that you can have this on your resume for direct mailing firms and before OCI. This is only if you won't find out about writing onto L. Rev. at your new school until after OCI though. Having the secondary on there could be pretty important for OCI/direct mail purposes, even if you later end up writing onto L. Rev.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

This may have been answered already, but how are future employers, who supposedly care about invitations to join law review at a school you no longer attend, supposed to differentiate between schools which allow you to grade on and those who don't? Or are you supposed to denote that as well?

thrillerjesus

New

Post by thrillerjesus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:10 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:You've sort of proved my point that a first impression could be, "hmm, I wonder why this dood didn't even try to write-on...I guess he/she wasn't hedging bets, so how does that reflect upon his/her potential work ethic, if hired?"
That's interesting, because I would think exactly the opposite. Hedging bets to me implies lack of confidence more than anything else.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:35 am

thrillerjesus wrote:Hedging bets to me implies lack of confidence more than anything else.

Good thing you don't trade for a living.

thrillerjesus

New

Post by thrillerjesus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:50 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
thrillerjesus wrote:Hedging bets to me implies lack of confidence more than anything else.

Good thing you don't trade for a living.
Yes, I'm aware of where the phrase comes from. I was merely pointing out that there are multiple ways to interpret that behavior in non-financial contexts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 01, 2011 4:49 pm

I didn't do the write-on at my original school. I kind of regretted it at OCI (two interviewers asked me about the absence). Fortunately, I managed to write-on to a secondary at my transfer school (UChicago: no transfer student has made it on to Law Review via the write-on for something like 7 or 8 years, though someone did make it on via topic access in my class - but that will always be too late for 2L OCI), so I was able to deflect with that.

I don't know whether the "invited to xxx" line helps very much, but even if it helps shift you to a callback in a single interview, it's worth the time, unless it detracts from your other write-ons.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun May 01, 2011 6:35 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I don't know whether the "invited to xxx" line helps very much, but even if it helps shift you to a callback in a single interview, it's worth the time, unless it detracts from your other write-ons.
I couldn't agree more.

t14orelse

New

Post by t14orelse » Wed May 04, 2011 11:52 pm

I wrote on at my previous school and have the "invited to xxxx" line on my resume. I doubt it helped (or hurt) me at all. I wouldn't bother with writing on.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:09 am

patrickd139 wrote:This may have been answered already, but how are future employers, who supposedly care about invitations to join law review at a school you no longer attend, supposed to differentiate between schools which allow you to grade on and those who don't? Or are you supposed to denote that as well?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 am

Look, we've been arguing this topic ad nauseam. I understand that people have differing views, and I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone. I want the best for your class during OCI, so when I attempt to provide advice, I try to cover my bases. I advised that, should one be presented with the opportunity to transfer, one should not neglect the added (at least marginal) benefit of writing-on to your transferor school LR, despite having no intention of staying there. If someone doesn't feel like doing their write-on because they plan on transferring, then by all means, don't feel obliged to do that transferor school write-on.

To be sure, many of you in the 2011 transfer class will be just fine in OCI at your transferee schools. Statistically, however, a handful of you will strike-out and not get the jerb you sought via transferring. Don't underestimate the devastating impact of this result. Some of the content cohort with GULC EA acceptances in their back-pocket could very well end up in OCI-poor (read, at least one of the regular GULC EA poasters from last years thread...do some research). I always advise people do as much as they can to ensure a favorable OCI result. Please don't do me the disservice of assuming that I'm implying there is necessarily a causal connection between whether one attempted his/her transferor school write-on and OCI results.
patrickd139 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:This may have been answered already, but how are future employers, who supposedly care about invitations to join law review at a school you no longer attend, supposed to differentiate between schools which allow you to grade on and those who don't? Or are you supposed to denote that as well?

patrickd, I apologize for the aside, which was not directed towards you. :lol: To answer your question, however, I didn't grade-on (missed it by like a few people/%-point or two), but I did write-on. On the resume, I made the distinction that I'd been selected based solely upon the write-on...seemed to engender a bit of a positive response at times, and never a perceivable negative response.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”