T4 transfer to T1 in DC Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
longhornmarine

New

T4 transfer to T1 in DC

Post by longhornmarine » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Currently T4 (top 5%) in Texas and weighing my options for transferring to DC. I am concerned about the debt I will have transferring to DC, but I have a sick family member I would like to be close to. Not basing the decision of the family member, but on my competitiveness getting a job in Texas, assuming I get into GW (lets not debate my chances) would the debt be worth it- even if I have want to make my way back to Texas?
Last edited by longhornmarine on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

dakatz

Gold

Re: T4 transfer to T1 in DC

Post by dakatz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 am

Would the debt be worth it? I'm not sure how any of us could answer this for you. It all depends on how much of a price you would put on being close to your sick family member. I highly doubt any DC-area school has any real presence in TX, but if you are from there and have connections, I'd imagine you have a shot to get back.

longhornmarine

New

Post by longhornmarine » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 am

Let me rephrase, I dont mean would the debt be worth the sick family member. What I meant to say, is going to a T1 law school in DC worth the debt if I want to go back to Texas. I am concerned with being at a t4 school and having the stigma of that, versus trying to find a job in texas and not graduating from a Texas law school.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:48 am

longhornmarine wrote:Let me rephrase, I dont mean would the debt be worth the sick family member. What I meant to say, is going to a T1 law school in DC worth the debt if I want to go back to Texas. I am concerned with being at a t4 school and having the stigma of that, versus trying to find a job in texas and not graduating from a Texas law school.
I don't know much about GW, but I highly doubt it will help you get back to Texas. If you take the sick family member out of the equation and look at this from the perspective of job prospects in Texas, transferring to UT would make a lot of sense. You'll probably have a shot there as well because of regional preferences. With the family member in the equation, it's a tougher call. Basically the question is how badly do you want to be with this sick family member versus how much weight you put on working somewhere decent in Texas (because I don't think transferring to GW is going to help you with finding a decent legal job in Texas – take a look at their OCI information, if you can, and see how many firms from Texas are coming to GW’s OCI; I’d be surprised if there are many).

longhornmarine

New

Post by longhornmarine » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 am

This shows up on the OCI page.

Texas Interview Program

The Texas Interview Program, which takes place in Dallas, is co-sponsored by GW Law, Emory University Law School, and Georgetown University Law Center.

For information regarding the Texas Interview Program, contact Ruby Sheikh at 202.662.9612.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 am

longhornmarine wrote:This shows up on the OCI page.

Texas Interview Program

The Texas Interview Program, which takes place in Dallas, is co-sponsored by GW Law, Emory University Law School, and Georgetown University Law Center.

For information regarding the Texas Interview Program, contact Ruby Sheikh at 202.662.9612.
Interesting. This is definetely not OCI (being that it's in Dallas), but it's certainly unique. If I were you, I'd contact that person and get more details about exactly what the Texas Interview program is, what law firms typically recruit there, how many interviews GW students typically get, what percentage of the class at GW goes to Texas (alumni base is important in terms of getting a job, especially when the job is in a market that the school is not located in), etc., etc.

Overall, I still think transferring to UT makes a lot more sense if you want to be in Texas and are not factoring in being with that sick family member (as your OP suggests), but if you are factoring in being with that sick family member, then try to figure out what type of placement GW has in Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”