Transfer prospectives dropped course Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
slt

New

Transfer prospectives dropped course

Post by slt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Short version issue: If you have a dropped doctrinal class but are still in the top 10-15% from a T20 school, do you still have a shot at transferring the lower T14 schools?

I'm currently a 1L at a T20 ranked top third after 1st semester.

I am in a situation where I may need to drop a doctrinal course this semester (please don't ask why; I appreciate it). If I am able to ace the other two doctrinal classes and bring myself up to top ~10-15% of my class, do I still retain a chance at transferring to schools such as Northwestern, UVA, or Penn?

I appreciate any help from anybody with information on such circumstances.

traehekat

Gold

Re: Transfer prospectives dropped course

Post by traehekat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Do you "retain a chance"? Sure, there is still a chance, it is just a matter of how much it is going to hurt you. On one end of the spectrum, it certainly hurts you at least a LITTLE (definitely doesn't help, obviously), and on the other end of the spectrum I don't think it completely kills your chances. Between those two extremes though I can't really say, I don't think there is much information out there on this. Nothing you can really do but apply and find out.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Are you still going to meet minimum credit requirements for a transfer?

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 pm

I think at minimum you'll need a good explanation for it. If your reason for dropping impacts your moral character, this will be an even bigger obstacle.

slt

New

Post by slt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:23 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Are you still going to meet minimum credit requirements for a transfer?
Yes, certainly.

Also, it has no bearing on my moral character.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:00 am

Are you positive that your school will let you "drop" a 1L doctrinal class? This was not possible at my school unless you withdrew for the entire semester.

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:05 am

This is something you need to ask the schools directly. Nobody here can give you good advice (even if someone claims to have been through this situation, it's rare enough that you really need a tailored response from an admissions officer, particularly because you won't disclose a very important detail to us).

Like others, I'm pretty shocked that you can even do this.

slt

New

Post by slt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:38 pm

Rule11 wrote:This is something you need to ask the schools directly. Nobody here can give you good advice (even if someone claims to have been through this situation, it's rare enough that you really need a tailored response from an admissions officer, particularly because you won't disclose a very important detail to us).

Like others, I'm pretty shocked that you can even do this.
It is possible at my school, but it's not something you can just do on your own.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”