Worth it to Transfer Down? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eberl032

Bronze

Worth it to Transfer Down?

Post by eberl032 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a 1L at Pepperdine in Malibu, CA. Though I love the school I do not plan to practice in California. I am fairly certain i will end up practicing in Florida (perferably Miami area). I secured a summer position in Tampa. If i want to end up in Florida should i transferred to a lower ranked school, like U miami, or FIU? Or should I just keep working in FL for summers and move out there with my Pepperdine degree when I finish?

Also what types of grades and class rank do you think are necessary for someone to transfer from Pepperdine to UM, FIU, UF?

Thanks for the input!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Worth it to Transfer Down?

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:35 pm

If you can already secure work in Florida where you are now, why on earth would you want to transfer down?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Pepperdine ---> UF could make sense if there's a big difference in $$$, but unless you did poorly at Pepperdine you wouldn't really need to transfer down to FIU, etc. But if Pepperdine isn't too expensive, and you already have employment in Florida, there's really no "need".

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Though i see your point regarding no reasons to transfer down if i already have secured summer employment in the region i'd transfer to, I still have a few concerns. First off, If i plan to move to FL after anyway, why not move now? Don't you think a lower ranked regional school places better in its own region than a higher ranked regional school 3,000 miles away? Moreover, the cost of living is cheaper in FL than CA and it will be costly to keep moving to FL for the summer and back for school. Thoughts on these points?

U Miami admissions told me transfer apps should be in the top 20%. Is this likely the case for lateral transfers? That seems steep considering I plan to transfer down about 20 spots in the rankings.

Though I dont want to throw away a year of my life, another option would be to drop out and reapply, thus likely getting a scholarship at UF or UM. Thoughts on that?

Thanks

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Do not drop out & reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Do not drop out & reapply.
Ok Thanks!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Do not drop out & reapply.
I cannot imagine another school granting you admission scholarship money after doing this. You're a proven flight risk at that point, and schools worry about their dropout rate as much as other aspects of various rankings schemes. Further, you were able to do well, but not fantastically well at law school. Finally, your classmates would probably hate you for getting a "second chance" at the 1L courses. (At least, I would.)

I am obviously no admissions committee member, so please consider this my anecdotal opinion.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 pm

eberl032 wrote: U Miami admissions told me transfer apps should be in the top 20%. Is this likely the case for lateral transfers? That seems steep considering I plan to transfer down about 20 spots in the rankings.
I actually think top 20-30% is about right for lateral transferring with a good reason (transferring down 20 spots is still more or less a lateral transfer IMO). Transferring up would require top 5-10%, methinks.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:54 pm

aba rules do not permit drop out and reapply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”