Transferred T2 to HYS, taking questions Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Bronze

Re: Transferred T2 to HYS, taking questions

Post by 23402385985 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 pm

leppotse wrote:
mbstuff wrote: ...
I typed out a reply, but I misclicked and it vanished! Anyway, I'll summarize it:

1. I didn't plan to transfer, and I think it's a bad idea to go to school with that idea in mind. That's TLS conventional wisdom, but unlike some conventional wisdom around here, it's very valid. It seems for the most part like you're not planning that--but you did say that you were thinking about having a better shot to do well at a T1 than at a T20. That kind of thinking can get you in trouble--every T1 is very competitive, and they're all much closer in student body quality than USNews would have you believe. As a said in a previous post, the biggest difference between my HYS and my T2 was that the T2 had a drop off that wasn't present at my HYS--but there was still a large proportion of the class (say 20 to 30 percent) who were all competitive to be in the top 5%, but most of them didn't get it.

2. Without knowing your UGPA or your goals out of law school, I'm not sure how to advise you on your other options. That said, USC sounds like a bad option--much bigger cost, but probably not much better job opportunities.
Wanted to see if you would elaborate a bit on the collective TLS wisdom.

What would you say are the worst recommendations seen so far? You mentioned the job prospects earlier up -- do you feel TLS is too harsh or not realistic enough?

Anything else one way or the other in regards to the collective hive mind?:

cc1236

New

Post by cc1236 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:22 pm

leppotse wrote:
cc1236 wrote:Thanks for your thread. do you have any ideas what Stanford is looking for particularly?
Sorry if this is already covered in your answers.
Other than the typical things, I think that Yale and Stanford in particular are looking for people who are socially/culturally compatible with the school. Both have small class sizes and pride themselves on admitting individuals who are not just smart, but also interesting. So, to the extent that you can put your finger on it, you should probably try to portray yourself as fitting into the school's particular culture.
Thanks a ton.

Etudilos

New

Post by Etudilos » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks for opening yourself up to questions.

1. To go a little deeper on your PS when transferring, I was curious if there was any special route of research you used to determine how to spin yourself as a good match for their 'culture'? When transferring up (especially to HYS) I feel like it would be hard to seem honest to them when saying almost anything other than 'i want better job prospects' so I just wondered if there was anything you did to get keyed in on exactly what sort of culture the school had?

2. Having mentioned that 20-30% of your class was in the running for the top 5%, how do you feel about the accuracy of the outcome? What I mean is do you feel it's sort of a crapshoot, i.e. everyone was equally prepared and maybe if you redid the test the next day, where people placed within that top 20-30% would perhaps mix quite a bit, or do you feel like, though small, the difference between the top 5% and the top 6-20% was real and would likely be reflected even under other circumstances?

3. I realize you already gave some insight on studying tips, but is there anything specific that you did that you felt might have created a difference that allowed you to break ahead of the rest of the top 20%? I.e. do you feel that you put in that extra hour of studying every night, or had your outlines done earlier, or?

I realize there might not be good answers to any of these questions but thought I'd give it a shot. thanks again for what you've already written.

leppotse

New

Post by leppotse » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Etudilos wrote:Thanks for opening yourself up to questions.

1. To go a little deeper on your PS when transferring, I was curious if there was any special route of research you used to determine how to spin yourself as a good match for their 'culture'? When transferring up (especially to HYS) I feel like it would be hard to seem honest to them when saying almost anything other than 'i want better job prospects' so I just wondered if there was anything you did to get keyed in on exactly what sort of culture the school had?

2. Having mentioned that 20-30% of your class was in the running for the top 5%, how do you feel about the accuracy of the outcome? What I mean is do you feel it's sort of a crapshoot, i.e. everyone was equally prepared and maybe if you redid the test the next day, where people placed within that top 20-30% would perhaps mix quite a bit, or do you feel like, though small, the difference between the top 5% and the top 6-20% was real and would likely be reflected even under other circumstances?

3. I realize you already gave some insight on studying tips, but is there anything specific that you did that you felt might have created a difference that allowed you to break ahead of the rest of the top 20%? I.e. do you feel that you put in that extra hour of studying every night, or had your outlines done earlier, or?

I realize there might not be good answers to any of these questions but thought I'd give it a shot. thanks again for what you've already written.
I'll try to go in order.

1. I didn't do too much of that kind of research (but I think I should have). I spoke to professors who indicated that YS were better choices for academia due to smaller classes/general vibe. So for those schools, I played that up as much as I could. For H, it was harder to come up with a convincing cultural rationale. It's worth noting that "I want better job prospects" isn't really true--except for academia, pretty much nothing new became available to me by transferring (a chance to interview at Wachtell, I guess, and maybe better chances for CoA clerkships).

2. I'm not so sure. I want to tread lightly here, because I don't want to be immodest. I think there was a fair amount of luck involved in being top 5% vs. top 15% or 20%. On the other hand, I am very good at law school exams, and I worked very hard. I guess I would say that the crapshoot is more in terms of whether you've been lucky enough to have the combination of talents that add up to successful law school performance (they don't necessarily correlate with intelligence generally). To my mind, (some of) these talents are: fast reader, fast thinker, fast typist, strong memory (yes--every time you look at an outline during the exam, you are losing time), general pattern-spotting ability. What I have going for me more than anything else is an ability to articulate and explore complicated concepts on the fly, both quickly and thoroughly. I am almost always the first to finish an exam--some I finished in half-time.

So I guess I do think that the chips would probably fall more or less the same way again, but one piece of bad luck could easily spell doom on an individual basis.

3. The main thing for me was the much-maligned 0L prep. It gave me a big boost. But also: I didn't make or use outlines. I made a few quick topical summaries while studying, but I never spent time organizing them or polishing them, and I only looked at them while I was making them (to focus my mind while I studied and to force myself to articulate rules). I spent the vast majority of my study time doing the reading and doing practice exams under timed conditions, and then reviewing those exams with other smart people who were also serious about doing well.

I apologize--I know that these answers are not exactly on point. I think it's the best I can do at the moment, however.

leppotse

New

Post by leppotse » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
leppotse wrote:
mbstuff wrote: ...
I typed out a reply, but I misclicked and it vanished! Anyway, I'll summarize it:

1. I didn't plan to transfer, and I think it's a bad idea to go to school with that idea in mind. That's TLS conventional wisdom, but unlike some conventional wisdom around here, it's very valid. It seems for the most part like you're not planning that--but you did say that you were thinking about having a better shot to do well at a T1 than at a T20. That kind of thinking can get you in trouble--every T1 is very competitive, and they're all much closer in student body quality than USNews would have you believe. As a said in a previous post, the biggest difference between my HYS and my T2 was that the T2 had a drop off that wasn't present at my HYS--but there was still a large proportion of the class (say 20 to 30 percent) who were all competitive to be in the top 5%, but most of them didn't get it.

2. Without knowing your UGPA or your goals out of law school, I'm not sure how to advise you on your other options. That said, USC sounds like a bad option--much bigger cost, but probably not much better job opportunities.
Wanted to see if you would elaborate a bit on the collective TLS wisdom.

What would you say are the worst recommendations seen so far? You mentioned the job prospects earlier up -- do you feel TLS is too harsh or not realistic enough?

Anything else one way or the other in regards to the collective hive mind?:
Hmm, well I think the worst piece of TLS conventional wisdom is the contention that 0L prep is a waste of time, or even counterproductive. I think I said that elsewhere in this thread though. Otherwise, I think that TLS is generally not realistic enough about job prospects, although that's definitely changing recently (a very positive development).

edit: Most of the wisdom about transferring is pretty solid.
Last edited by leppotse on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leppotse

New

Post by leppotse » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:46 pm

dakatz wrote:When do school typically start taking transfer apps? And when do decisions usually come back? Just wondering about the time frame.
You should be figuring on applying as soon as you get your last grades (but for at least a couple of schools, the deadline may come too soon, in which case you apply with what you have and update accordingly). Response times seem to vary a lot--NYU got back to me 3 days later, Harvard took a few weeks.

jsarna1

New

Post by jsarna1 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:03 pm

OP if you get the chance to respond I am top 10% at Texas with a chance to move up. I was told on another thread I would need ~ top 5% if I want HYS. Your thoughts? I have a good professor for a LOR so I'm not worried about any of the softs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”