What are your chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rogermurdoch

New

Re: What are your chances?

Post by rogermurdoch » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:34 am

4.19 at a T2 in the 50's. Current rank is around top 3% with a strong chance of finishing #1. Four book awards and five years of work experience pre-LS as executive for a small non-profit.

Chances at H, S, Chicago, and Penn? No ties anywhere.

Dead Parrot

New

Post by Dead Parrot » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:59 pm

3.499 at University of Baltimore. Historical data suggest I'm just outside the top 10%.

Chances at Maryland? George Washington?

Second question: Would it be worth transferring to Maryland? I have a 60% scholarship at UB.

CTC13

New

Post by CTC13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 pm

finished 1st semester with 4.0 at a T25 school in a major east coast market. it should put me comfortably within the top ~1-3% (extrapolating from cutoffs given for class of 2014), though we don't calculate until the end of the year. i have 3-4 years of solid work experience. chances at Chicago ED?

rogermurdoch

New

Post by rogermurdoch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Can anybody comment?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:08 pm

rogermurdoch wrote:Can anybody comment?
quiver wrote:Dear 1Ls, please stop asking for chances with only one semester of grades. Unless you're asking about EA/ED chances, you need to wait until you have a full year of grades before you can get any meaningful advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rogermurdoch

New

Post by rogermurdoch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am

quiver wrote:
quiver wrote:Dear 1Ls, please stop asking for chances with only one semester of grades. Unless you're asking about EA/ED chances, you need to wait until you have a full year of grades before you can get any meaningful advice.
:roll:

Right now the majority of the posts on the first page of this forum are 1Ls with one semester of grades asking about transfer chances.

I'm a part-time student with three semesters of grades. The grades from my remaining 1L courses will not substantially change my GPA. Am I allowed to get advice now?

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

rogermurdoch wrote:
quiver wrote:
:roll:

Right now the majority of the posts on the first page of this forum are 1Ls with one semester of grades asking about transfer chances.

I'm a part-time student with three semesters of grades. The grades from my remaining 1L courses will not substantially change my GPA. Am I allowed to get advice now?
probably weak chances at h/s, stronger if you can pull #1

keep in mind, fellow 1L here

nebbersa

New

Post by nebbersa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:18 am

Last edited by nebbersa on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:57 am

1L at uiuc at 5% with 2nd semester grades. 2 book awards in substantive classes.

Chances at any of the top 14? Which?

Thanks for your input.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paintbynumbers

New

Post by paintbynumbers » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 am

3.261 (3.0 curve) at tier 2, school doesn't rank but know ~3.5 is top 10%.
1 year WE on Capitol Hill. Want to try to transfer to GWU for Hill internships during school year and work there as counsel on a committee or for Fed Govt after school.

Any chance?

demondeac85

New

Post by demondeac85 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:25 am

stillwater wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:3.89/4.00 (8 out of 197) @ Mid-T1

Looking at Chicago (ED), Berkeley, H/Y/S...

Chances?
With that rank, you should probably forego the ED option and see if you can snag HYS if you repeat.
Do you have regional ties to HYS? I've heard that plays pretty big into their decisions.

demondeac85

New

Post by demondeac85 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:28 am

Top 8% at T35 school, my name says it all, ok work experience, CALI one class, and decent LOR's, chances at T14? No strong preference on where to live. Oh yeah, and partial scholly at my current school.

demondeac85

New

Post by demondeac85 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:29 am

paintbynumbers wrote:3.261 (3.0 curve) at tier 2, school doesn't rank but know ~3.5 is top 10%.
1 year WE on Capitol Hill. Want to try to transfer to GWU for Hill internships during school year and work there as counsel on a committee or for Fed Govt after school.

Any chance?
Try Georgetown, they take a lot of transfers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

demondeac85

New

Post by demondeac85 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 am

nebbersa wrote:I am a 1L and at the end of both semesters, approx. 10%-15% (most likely missed top 10% by .01 gpa point) from a school in the 60s-70s.
UCLA
USC
Georgetown
Berkeley

Thanks for your input.
Probably a shot at Georgetown, and possibly USC or UCLA. I've hear Berkeley is weird but I'm sure you know by their website they're looking for 3-5%.

demondeac85

New

Post by demondeac85 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:34 am

rogermurdoch wrote:4.19 at a T2 in the 50's. Current rank is around top 3% with a strong chance of finishing #1. Four book awards and five years of work experience pre-LS as executive for a small non-profit.

Chances at H, S, Chicago, and Penn? No ties anywhere.
I hear if you're #1 from a T2 you've got an outside shot at H,S but Chicago might be your best bet.

demondeac85

New

Post by demondeac85 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:54 am

Volake wrote:1L at uiuc at 5% with 2nd semester grades. 2 book awards in substantive classes.

Chances at any of the top 14? Which?

Thanks for your input.
I just wrote this but I've heard regional ties are important. You've probably got a shot at 4-14.

overkillhsc

New

Post by overkillhsc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Just got grades back, currently at a law school in the mid-20s. Cumulatively, I barely missed the cut for top 20% of my class. First semester, right at the curve with a 3.3, second semester, 3.9, above the cutoff for top 5% of the class in that semester. Had a parent die during finals week first semester. Any comments at my chances at UVA/GULC/Duke?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:59 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I'm from CA, so I figure my odds are best with S. No regional ties to H or Y, but one of my letters of rec is from a law professor who graduated from H (I've also been working for her as an RA for the past few months).

GPA stayed the same after second semester grades, but ranking moved up to 3 out of 196 (apparently someone dropped out). Also CALI'd constitutional law.
What are your career goals, scholarship, and school region? Your numbers are competitive for HSB, but you're also giving up that killer rank and law review if you leave. I would send out apps and then make the tough choice.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:50 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I'm from CA, so I figure my odds are best with S. No regional ties to H or Y, but one of my letters of rec is from a law professor who graduated from H (I've also been working for her as an RA for the past few months).

GPA stayed the same after second semester grades, but ranking moved up to 3 out of 196 (apparently someone dropped out). Also CALI'd constitutional law.
What are your career goals, scholarship, and school region? Your numbers are competitive for HSB, but you're also giving up that killer rank and law review if you leave. I would send out apps and then make the tough choice.
My greatest aspiration is academia, which necessitates a transfer. However, I'm fully aware that it's a nearly unattainable dream and would be quite happy with biglaw, which is achievable at my current school.

My school is in Illinois with Chicago being the primary market for our OCI. I chose this school because I have a large amount of family in Chicago and would be very happy living and practicing in Chicago. I'd be equally happy living and practicing in San Fran, so I'll be applying to both S and B.

I currently have a 50% scholarship. My school's dean called me about a week ago and encouraged me to apply for a transfer and, if accepted, come back to him with an offer in-hand to discuss a possible scholarship increase. If a full-ride is on the table and I'm not accepted at either H or S, I'd likely choose to stay here with my rank, law review and nearly debt-free education rather than abandon ship for U of C, Columbia, or Berkeley (the other schools to which I'm planning on applying).

I should also note that my school took a big hit in the rankings this year and dropped from mid-T1 to low-T1, which makes me less confident about my transfer prospects.
Wow. I am shocked that your dean encouraged you to send out transfer apps. Best of luck with your cycle. Also, do you want to clerk or do big law after law school, since no one really goes directly into academia

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 pm

EMH99

New

Post by EMH99 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Top 10-20% at T20-40. Chances at Penn, UVA, Duke, GULC? Any others I should apply to?

Sav

New

Post by Sav » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by Sav on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”