U of Richmond Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ChiefJusticeBroberts

New

U of Richmond Transfer

Post by ChiefJusticeBroberts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:24 pm

What kind of grades would I need if I wanted to transfer from a higher ranked law school to U. of Richmond? The school I'm currently at is ranked in the 40s, but I've decided I should probably transfer from it for a host of reasons (piss-poor alumni connections, it doesn't prepare students well for the type of practice I want to enter into, etc.).

I feel like I should state a few related facts: I definitely want to practice in Virginia. Even if I'm not in Virginia, the furthest afield I would be likely to go would be either of the Carolinas, West Virginia, or Maryland, so I don't think the "regional school" factor should deter me. I'm also fully aware that I'd be potentially giving up stuff like journal, moot court, etc. The school I'm currently at is ranked as high as it is because it has one particular area of law it excels at; but for that area, I feel confident it would be almost out of the top 100. So while it's technically a transfer "down," I feel like in reality I'm hardly giving up any edge.

Currently I'm a solid B (3.00) student at my law school, and will most likely do better this semester than I did last one.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: U of Richmond Transfer

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm

ChiefJusticeBroberts wrote:Thoughts? Suggestions?
In no particular order:
1) No school "prepares" its students for practice. For better or worse, the pedagogical choices made at the administrative level determine that.
2) If your current school is close to the region you want to practice in, I would suggest that you don't transfer. It's going to look very out of place to future employers if you don't have a good reason for doing so.
3) The farther away geographically from the transfer school, the better grades and/or ties to that school you will need.
4) If you have a scholarship at your current school, this should weigh heavily, as schools rarely (read: never) give out scholarships to transfer students.
5) VA (especially the closer you get to D.C.) is a tough nut to crack, depending on your career goals.
6) One "specialty" a 60+ jump in the rankings does not make.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I do not think this would be a wise move on your part.

UVA -> W & M -> W & L -> George Mason -> Richmond -> Liberty/Regent

That is 7 law schools in a state of 8 million people. Also, if you want to crack the DC market you'll have to compete with many other higher ranked schools. I would stay at your school in the 40's unless you 100% want to live in Richmond.

ChiefJusticeBroberts

New

Post by ChiefJusticeBroberts » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:24 pm

I appreciate that you're trying to talk me out of it, but I've more or less decided to transfer. The question was more what type of grades / extra-currics will be compelling for U. of R, especially factoring in the "down transfer" factor.

I'm weighing all the other factors you've mentioned, and for a host of reasons I still think a transfer would be an worthwhile decision. At the least it's an option that merits serious consideration for me.

Also, let me stress this point, in case it wasn't clear enough from my first post - under no circumstances do I want to live or work in DC. The DC legal market holds absolutely zero appeal to me. In fact it holds negative appeal for me - it repulses me.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:31 pm

ChiefJusticeBroberts wrote:I appreciate that you're trying to talk me out of it, but I've more or less decided to transfer. The question was more what type of grades / extra-currics will be compelling for U. of R, especially factoring in the "down transfer" factor.

I'm weighing all the other factors you've mentioned, and for a host of reasons I still think a transfer would be an worthwhile decision. At the least it's an option that merits serious consideration for me.

Also, let me stress this point, in case it wasn't clear enough from my first post - under no circumstances do I want to live or work in DC. The DC legal market holds absolutely zero appeal to me. In fact it holds negative appeal for me - it repulses me.
Not much data on this kind of transfer. IMO you have a pretty good shot if you (1) finish above/near median, and (2) pay them full tuition (because transfers do not get merit aid from what I hear).

BTW, why are you so set on Richmond?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hawklaw

New

Post by hawklaw » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:39 am

If you got into a school in the 40's you can most likely get into Richmond even with a mediocre 1L stats.

Just so I have a clear conscience: DON'T DO IT. YOU MAY REGRET THIS FOR THE REST OF YOU LIFE.

ok. good luck.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Where does a 3.0 place you at your current school? I'm sure you'll be competing against a handful of prospective transfers from tier 3s who are ranked in the top 10-20% of their class, which is arguably comparable to you being at the median at a higher ranked school. I would guess that you would need to be above the median to have good shot at transferring to Richmond. You'll probably be safe if you're within the top 40%.

Just do the best you can this semester. don't assume that you'll do better this semester unless you TOTALLY slacked off last semester. Undoubtedly everyone else in your section is working their ass off too. For all you know you could just be "keeping up" with them and end up with another 3.0 again.

by the way, you won't be giving up journals by transferring. Did you check with Richmond on this? Most schools reserve a few seats on law review just for transfer students.

GodFavor2010

New

Post by GodFavor2010 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Hello there!
I just completed my first year of law school. I am in the same boat for the same reasons of wanting to practice in VA. Did you follow through with your transfer to UR Law? If so, what has been your experience?

Best Regards,
Shawn

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”