chances for judicial internship... Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dancinginseptember

New

chances for judicial internship...

Post by dancinginseptember » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:22 pm

heya, i'm a 1L at a t15 school. i dont yet have ALL my grades, but i have some:
con law: a-
civ pro: a-
LRW: b- ..... ouch, but LRW is only a half credit course. i really think my writing sample is strong. i missed a smaller assignment, & we're graded on a curve, so that may be part of it.

i know the LRW hurts. do i still have a chance for a judicial internship? district court level?

edit: i should specify/elaborate. i know judicial internships are competitive; i do not know how competitive they are, especially when it comes to 1L fall grades. of course, competitiveness across districts varies. if you have something to say about one district over another, that is also helpful. i am pretty flexible.

dakatz

Gold

Re: chances for judicial internship...

Post by dakatz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Last edited by dakatz on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:heya, i'm a 1L at a t15 school. i dont yet have ALL my grades, but i have some:
con law: a-
civ pro: a-
LRW: b- ..... ouch, but LRW is only a half credit course. i really think my writing sample is strong. i missed a smaller assignment, & we're graded on a curve, so that may be part of it.

i know the LRW hurts. do i still have a chance for a judicial internship? district court level?

edit: i should specify/elaborate. i know judicial internships are competitive; i do not know how competitive they are, especially when it comes to 1L fall grades. of course, competitiveness across districts varies. if you have something to say about one district over another, that is also helpful. i am pretty flexible.
If you haven't sent out apps yet I would try to come up with a list of judges you want to apply to (there's a lot posted on our symplicity) and starting sending out apps ASAP. If you need any direction, schedule a meeting with the CSO.

I would consider both federal (including magistrate + bankruptcy) and state to increase your chances. Are you looking for just Texas or other places as well?

edit: It's probably going to difficult for anyone to give you an accurate picture of what your chances are. I'm kind of the opposite extreme of dakatz. I sent out around 30-40 apps, half the week after finals and the other half after christmas. I managed to get two interviews from the first batch I sent out, and received offers from both, which I accepted. The process is probably pretty random, depending on where you are applying.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:57 pm

It depends on where you apply. I only sent out around 10 applications total, and got an offer very quickly from a federal judge. Some judges don't look at grades, others do. I will say that many fed judges fill up their spots by early January, so you should start applying soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”