T4 to 60s-70s Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
amash1044

New

T4 to 60s-70s

Post by amash1044 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 am

I went to undergrad at a school with a law school ranked in the 60-70s. Had a really good GPA but bombed the LSAT. Decided to stay in state and go to a Tier-4 school. Just got my grades back and ended up with a 3.5 ranked in top 6% (the school has a really low curve probably to deter transferring). I know second semester grades are important but what are my chances if I remained consistent and wanted to transfer back to my undergrad school?

Also what are the biggest jumps from a Tier3/Tier4 school you can make?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Re: T4 to 60s-70s

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:43 am

amash1044 wrote:I went to undergrad at a school with a law school ranked in the 60-70s. Had a really good GPA but bombed the LSAT. Decided to stay in state and go to a Tier-4 school. Just got my grades back and ended up with a 3.5 ranked in top 6% (the school has a really low curve probably to deter transferring). I know second semester grades are important but what are my chances if I remained consistent and wanted to transfer back to my undergrad school?
You'll probably get in somewhere in schools in the 20s, if you want to transfer to one of those. t4 transfers are very unpredictable though.
Also what are the biggest jumps from a Tier3/Tier4 school you can make?
Anything is possible. A kid from my 1L school (a t3) transferred to HLS (2 years ago). I heard SLS took a transfer from a t3 that year as well. It's incredibly unlikely, but still possible.

harborleaguemvp

New

Post by harborleaguemvp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 pm

T4 to T-10, even more unpredictable is that another student at my T-4 transferred with me, never hurts to try

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Generally, T4 students at the very top of their class have a shot at T14 schools. From the data I have seen on these boards, Boalt and GULC seem to be kind of T4 friendly. With that said, it is hard to say with transfers and harder still with T4 transfers.

With a top 6% class rank you should be able to transfer to many T1 schools and likely some T20 or T30 schools. Aim higher than a T2 school unless you have a compelling reason. In fact transferring to a T2 school will require you to pay sticker and it might be better to stay in a T4 with a scholarship (if the T4 places decently in the region which is not always the case).

Takeaway:

1. If you transfer, aim higher (T30 or better).
2. Do not transfer to a T2 school and pay sticker unless you have a compelling reason to attend that school.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:44 pm

random5483 wrote: From the data I have seen on these boards, Boalt and GULC seem to be kind of T4 friendly. With that said, it is hard to say with transfers and harder still with T4 transfers.
Could just be regional advantages. Location of the current can be a huge factor (e.g. transferring from U of Idaho to Berkeley is different than transferring from a t3/t4 in cali to berkeley).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
random5483 wrote: From the data I have seen on these boards, Boalt and GULC seem to be kind of T4 friendly. With that said, it is hard to say with transfers and harder still with T4 transfers.
Could just be regional advantages. Location of the current can be a huge factor (e.g. transferring from U of Idaho to Berkeley is different than transferring from a t3/t4 in cali to berkeley).

Could very well be true. However, both the schools I listed tend to take a fair sized transfer class and T4 students have been admitted to these schools. With that said, the data available is sparse so it might not be representative.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:14 pm

work harder try to get into ucla/vandy/georgetown.

If not, look at case western and umiami. They accept EA i think....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”