Top 2-3% at a 55-65 ranked school - early action? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KafkaLover

New

Top 2-3% at a 55-65 ranked school - early action?

Post by KafkaLover » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Fall semester grades came back pretty great, but I KILLED myself to get those grades and feel like the results were still dependent on some percentage of luck. I don't think I'll do poorly this semester, but I'm worried that the performance won't be as stellar. Does early action to Chicago sound feasible? How about Georgetown? Should I stick it out and hope for a repeat in round two? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!

rman1201

Silver

Re: Top 2-3% at a 55-65 ranked school - early action?

Post by rman1201 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm

If you're going to keep the school anonymous you should edit your old posts ... (they're all regarding the same school)

KafkaLover

New

Post by KafkaLover » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Hahaha! I completely forgot. Oh well, cat's out of the bag. Still, any advice?

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm a 0L so I have nothing useful. But good luck! Check out the yahoo group? Nice job with the grades btw. Any advice other than whats on here?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 pm

KafkaLover wrote:Fall semester grades came back pretty great, but I KILLED myself to get those grades and feel like the results were still dependent on some percentage of luck. I don't think I'll do poorly this semester, but I'm worried that the performance won't be as stellar. Does early action to Chicago sound feasible? How about Georgetown? Should I stick it out and hope for a repeat in round two? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!
EA to Georgetown you should be pretty much a lock (barring odd circumstances, I know of someone on these boards who was deferred with comparable grades at a better school).

At Chi I'd say you actually have a solid chance. Not a lock, but, with your grades you should definitely be competitive. If you can keep them elevated you'll be at least competitive at any of CCN, so if you're not steadfast on going to Chicago you might want to think long and hard before submitting to binding ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:11 pm

You won't be getting into HYS from that school, so U Chi ED is a fine decision.

t14orelse

New

Post by t14orelse » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

KafkaLover wrote:Fall semester grades came back pretty great, but I KILLED myself to get those grades and feel like the results were still dependent on some percentage of luck. I don't think I'll do poorly this semester, but I'm worried that the performance won't be as stellar. Does early action to Chicago sound feasible? How about Georgetown? Should I stick it out and hope for a repeat in round two? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!
I was deferred from Gtown EA with similar grades (top 2.10% or something) from a slightly better school and then was accepted when I went up to #1. IIRC, there were three or four others of us on these boards who were deferred with similar grades from similarly ranked schools. There were also about twice that many who got in with those grades. Thus, I would say it's a decent chance, but not a lock.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:20 am

t14orelse wrote:
I was deferred from Gtown EA with similar grades (top 2.10% or something) from a slightly better school and then was accepted when I went up to #1. IIRC, there were three or four others of us on these boards who were deferred with similar grades from similarly ranked schools. There were also about twice that many who got in with those grades. Thus, I would say it's a decent chance, but not a lock.
When you applied did you express your class rank as top 2.10% or whatever? What is the generally accepted practice on this?

t14orelse

New

Post by t14orelse » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:40 pm

maf70 wrote:
t14orelse wrote:
When you applied did you express your class rank as top 2.10% or whatever? What is the generally accepted practice on this?
Sometimes I called it top 3% and sometimes I called it top 2%. I have no idea which was the technically correct number to write.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:03 pm

would you ever write 2.1%? i feel that especially for transferring, you need whatever you can get. Would it be reasonable to make 1.17%-->1%?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 pm

maf70 wrote:would you ever write 2.1%? i feel that especially for transferring, you need whatever you can get. Would it be reasonable to make 1.17%-->1%?
Don't round up. If you're top .1%, you're still top 1%. Accordingly, if you're top 1.1%, you're top 2%. If you really want to be exact, express your class rank as X/XXX.

t14orelse

New

Post by t14orelse » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:03 am

patrickd139 wrote:
maf70 wrote:would you ever write 2.1%? i feel that especially for transferring, you need whatever you can get. Would it be reasonable to make 1.17%-->1%?
Don't round up. If you're top .1%, you're still top 1%. Accordingly, if you're top 1.1%, you're top 2%. If you really want to be exact, express your class rank as X/XXX.
Looking back, I was top 2.0091%. I felt that it was reasonable to express this as top 2%, but I can certainly see the argument for why it should be top 3%. I can see the argument either way.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 am

Younger Abstention wrote:You won't be getting into HYS from that school, so U Chi ED is a fine decision.
I know someone who went Miami --> H. Jus' sayin'.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:18 pm

LogosEther wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:You won't be getting into HYS from that school, so U Chi ED is a fine decision.
I know someone who went Miami --> H. Jus' sayin'.
Clearly Younger Abstention with 20 posts to his name is more qualified to make that juddgment. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”