MVP to Columbia or NYU? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cattail

New

MVP to Columbia or NYU?

Post by cattail » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:15 am

What 1L GPA or class rank is good enough to transfer from MVP to Columbia or NYU? Thanks!!!

Veyron

Gold

Re: MVP to Columbia or NYU?

Post by Veyron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:32 am

cattail wrote:What 1L GPA or class rank is good enough to transfer from MVP to Columbia or NYU? Thanks!!!
IDK, probably top 1/3 --> However, such a transfer would make no sense except for personal reasons:top 1/3 at MVP has better career prospects than a transfer at either school.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
cattail wrote:What 1L GPA or class rank is good enough to transfer from MVP to Columbia or NYU? Thanks!!!
IDK, probably top 1/3 --> However, such a transfer would make no sense except for personal reasons:top 1/3 at MVP has better career prospects than a transfer at either school.
Would personal reasons include wanting NYC? I don't think so. Unless you have family/ SO there or some other compelling reason you could probably lock down an NYC gig from 1/3 MVP.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Predictions on this forum increase exponentially in their accuracy when you provide statistics when inquiring.

For example: "I am top 1/3 at MVP. What are my chances at Columbia and NYU?"

Your inquiry makes me think you're a 0L. In which case you should read the stickied post at the top of the transfer forum.

cattail

New

Post by cattail » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't know my exact class rank, but roughly slightly below top 1/3.

Why do I have a better chance at nyc market staying at MVP?

My 2L friends who got into NYC biglaw told me most of the NYC office SAs are recruited from columbia/NYU. And my friends at my school with decent grades surprisingly didnt do that well at OCI last year. which is why i am considering transferring. But I am not sure if the transfer would make it easier. With my grades I guess I'm at the boarder line.

another reason is I don't like living in [insert current city] and want to get out of here ASAP.

enough personal info to get some feedback? Tons of thanks guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 pm

i know people who transfer and go offerless a lot of the time. top 1/3 is very good, and should be good enough. transferring can be risky, especially when you're in great shape already. i know you don't like life there, but you're successful so i'd just bite the bullet for 2 1/2 years then pounce.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 pm

cattail wrote:I don't know my exact class rank, but roughly slightly below top 1/3.

Why do I have a better chance at nyc market staying at MVP?

My 2L friends who got into NYC biglaw told me most of the NYC office SAs are recruited from columbia/NYU. And my friends at my school with decent grades surprisingly didnt do that well at OCI last year. which is why i am considering transferring. But I am not sure if the transfer would make it easier. With my grades I guess I'm at the boarder line.

another reason is I don't like living in [insert current city] and want to get out of here ASAP.

enough personal info to get some feedback? Tons of thanks guys!
Sooooooo, how is Ann Arbor this time of year?

cattail

New

Post by cattail » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 am

so veyron, could you explain a little why you said top 1/3 at MVP has better career prospects than a transfer at C/N? some sort of transfer stigma or what

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 am

cattail wrote:so veyron, could you explain a little why you said top 1/3 at MVP has better career prospects than a transfer at C/N? some sort of transfer stigma or what
Just my observations based on what has happened to people I know who have fit both descriptions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cattail

New

Post by cattail » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
cattail wrote:so veyron, could you explain a little why you said top 1/3 at MVP has better career prospects than a transfer at C/N? some sort of transfer stigma or what
Just my observations based on what has happened to people I know who have fit both descriptions.
Thanks! But doesn't it depend on where you transfer from? I mean if the employers regularly recruit from your old school and know how to evaluate the grades, I don't know why transfers are at a disadvantage. well, unless transfers are looked down upon in general, which seems to be the opposite from what i heard.

can smarties on this forum enlighten me?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm

cattail wrote:Thanks! But doesn't it depend on where you transfer from? I mean if the employers regularly recruit from your old school and know how to evaluate the grades, I don't know why transfers are at a disadvantage. well, unless transfers are looked down upon in general, which seems to be the opposite from what i heard.

can smarties on this forum enlighten me?
It's not a matter of what happens "in general". You have to keep in mind that most transfers are moving significantly upward, and so the move is very nearly self-explanatory. Employers ask for reasons, but reasons are easily given, and then it's not a problem anymore. And people who do that get the luxury of being able to say, "I loved my old school, but the benefits of transferring were obvious."

In your case, it's not as obvious what benefits you'd get from transferring. So employers might look at it and be a little confused, and they'll most definitely ask (like they ask all transfers) why you left your old school, and if you start trash talking your old school/city and how miserable you were there, it's going to make them think either 1) you didn't do your research before you went there or 2) you're a person who likes to complain, and neither are good impressions to leave on someone in charge of hiring you.

However, if you were really enthusiastic about wanting to live in NYC and wanting to have the best possible odds of finding work there, I could see that being a workable reason. I would just advise you to be really careful about the way you sell yourself, because NYU/CLS and MVP are not that far apart, and anything you do that either makes you look bad or puts down your old school could come back to hurt you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”