Are different classes worth more/less or just overall GPA? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pretzels

New

Are different classes worth more/less or just overall GPA?

Post by pretzels » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm

First time poster here. Currently a 1L at a school in the 40s. I am trying to find some info on how admissions people view certain grades. If you are applying to transfer (to T20 or higher) and you have B+s and Bs in doctrinal courses, but an A+ in something like, say, Law and Econ, how would this be viewed? Based on the grade distributions from the past 2 years, my overall GPA should put me in top 5-10%. Oh, and my school operates on a median somewhere between a B- and B, if that info helps. Thanks for any help.

pandacot

Bronze

Re: Are different classes worth more/less or just overall GPA?

Post by pandacot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Maybe some admissions will nitpick certain grades (they have a boner for Con Law?), but the overwhelming majority would not. 1L GPA is the bottom line since most schools have similar 1L classes.

Edit: Wait.... Law and Econ was a 1L class at your school? Is this common? Never heard of it before. \

I'd still go with my first comment that 1L grades matter, regardless of course.

pretzels

New

Post by pretzels » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:41 pm

I don't know much about other schools, but I don't think it is very common. But, yes, everyone takes the law and econ class as a 1L at my school.

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:01 am

Since its a Law and Econ course its still relevant to legal curriculum - I think it will be weighed equally, especially if your school is ranked in the 40s.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”