GULC EA Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AugustaMasters

New

GULC EA

Post by AugustaMasters » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Last edited by AugustaMasters on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shmoo597

Bronze

Re: Transfer to GULC or UV with 3.93 from T35-45, Advice?

Post by shmoo597 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm

If you don't want to work where your school is, then absolutely transfer. This is a perfectly compelling reason to go. Moreover, your job prospects will be FAR better at GULC (for biglaw, or anything else) then where you are now.

With those grades, you will get into GULC early action, almost 100% sure.

Be aware though that DC is a very tough market, and that OCI at GULC has been pretty ugly for the past few years.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:03 pm

shmoo597 wrote:If you don't want to work where your school is, then absolutely transfer. This is a perfectly compelling legitimate reason to go. Moreover, your job prospects will be FAR better at GULC (for biglaw, or anything else) then where you are now. Lolwut?

With those grades, you will get into GULC early action, almost 100% sure. Completely untrue.

Be aware though that DC is a very tough market, and that OCI at GULC has been pretty ugly for the past few years.
If I understood this correctly, shmoo597 thinks that job prospects (as a generalization) are better as a transfer student at GULC than in the (likely 1-2%) at a T35-45. I vehemently disagree. Better for DC? Arguably. But it's a tough market, and even graduating from GULC is far from a guaranteed job.

Further, GULC EA is as close to a black box admissions process as there is. You cannot predict who will get in with certainty, much less 100%. Read through the GULC EA thread and you'll see what I mean.

Increased job prospects are not a 'compelling' reason to transfer. You accepted a fall/spring internship with the U.S. Tax Court in DC is a better example of a 'compelling' reason. It seems nitpicky, but in transfer admissions, the difference between a 'legitimate' reason and a 'compelling' reason is often the ball game.

OP: Your numbers are stellar. If you're not number one in your class, you're very, very close. I wouldn't waste my time with GULC if I were in your position. It's not worth giving up what you have, especially since you'll likely break into the T10, if not T6 with those numbers. I'd even shoot off an application to HLS if you're able to keep your rank through the second semester. If you're not confident in that, you might also consider Chicago ED, but that may be a long shot as well.

Whatever you do, don't start talking to your Dean right now. Especially if you're not at a transfer friendly school. There is a small chance doing so could disadvantage you in a number of ways down the road that make it not worth it. Besides, in most cases your dean doesn't even have to know you're transferring until after you have acceptances. If you do anything, send out an app to Chicago ED or wait, kill it second semester and blanket the T14.

Congrats on killing it your first semester. Lower your head, keep it up and good luck!

AugustaMasters

New

Post by AugustaMasters » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Thank you for your responses. Patrickd139, after doing some research I saw you got into GULC last year but couldn't find your stats? Also to anyone who has applied GULC EA in the past, would I be at a disadvantage by submitting only one letter of rec from a first semester professor and how did you go about asking your professors? Question in general to anyone who has completed their 1L year: do students typically start working a lot harder, do they slack off, or is the competition generally the same?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 pm

AugustaMasters wrote:Thank you for your responses. Patrickd139, after doing some research I saw you got into GULC last year but couldn't find your stats? Also to anyone who has applied GULC EA in the past, would I be at a disadvantage by submitting only one letter of rec from a first semester professor and how did you go about asking your professors? Question in general to anyone who has completed their 1L year: do students typically start working a lot harder, do they slack off, or is the competition generally the same?
PM'd the numbers. It's no secret that I go to OU, though. In any event, to answer your second question, I was accepted (RD) with only one LOR. Prof was a GULC alum. All I did was ask, give a deadline, drop the addressed, stamped envelope and the prof did the rest.

I found that most students at OU put in about the same amount of work second semester as first. The game change happens after that first year. Most students just stop caring entirely, except the outliers. Likely due to burnout, job security (for some), resignation to below median, and the fact that professors don't generally treat students as harshly after their first year. Plus (at least at OU) the curve is much more favorable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:56 pm

AugustaMasters wrote:Hello all,

Looking for any advice you can give me, currently at a school ranked in the 35-45 range and am considering a transfer. The main reason I want to transfer is because I don't want to live in the state my school is in and my current school doesn't really place elsewhere. I'm considering GULC and Virginia because I want a chance to work in DC or NYC after graduation, I am also interested in politics. My first semester GPA is a 3.93 and I am not sure what my rank is yet but last years class a 3.67 was in the top 10%.

What are my chances for EA at GULC? Should I speak with the Dean of my current school first? Any advice for getting professor LOR? Should I have a more compelling reason than working in a different market? I would be happy with a law degree from my current school so if I am unable to transfer I will be fine, I also want to handle this situation carefully just in case I am unable to transfer and have to stay.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
if top 10% is 3.67, my guess is that you're top 1%, 2% at worst. With that rank, you'll walk into GULC EA, but you might want to aim higher. It's very likely you could get into one of CCN, especially Chicago ED (although it's binding, so don't apply unless you are certain you want to attend). If you think you can continue to do as well as you've done already, you might even have an outside chance at H.

Whatever you decide, good luck and congrats!

AugustaMasters

New

Re: GULC EA

Post by AugustaMasters » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:07 pm

So I ended up being top 3%, will having a rank mid semester help my chances at GULC EA? Also I am thinking about having my LOR sent directly to GULC because I am just asking this week and am worried about processing at LSAC, any thoughts on this? If I have my Prof send directly is there any form GULC requires (couldn't find this on website), or just a letter to the admissions committee with my name on it?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:10 pm

AugustaMasters wrote:So I ended up being top 3%, will having a rank mid semester help my chances at GULC EA? Also I am thinking about having my LOR sent directly to GULC because I am just asking this week and am worried about processing at LSAC, any thoughts on this? If I have my Prof send directly is there any form GULC requires (couldn't find this on website), or just a letter to the admissions committee with my name on it?
I didn't apply to GULC, but it should be fine if there is no required form. You should probably call admissions to be sure, though.

With top 3%, you are almost definitely a lock at GULC.

katekate

New

Post by katekate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

OK, I never thought about transferring to georgetown before yesterday, but knowing that they have the EA application, and my grades, I'm now considering it. I'm at a T2 part time student in the top 10%, GPA 3.67.

Am I a probably, a maybe, or a probably not?

I haven't read through last years GULC EA thread, but I thought I would ask here. Everyone seems really knowledgable about it!
Last edited by katekate on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

katekate wrote:OK, I never thought about transferring to georgetown before yesterday, but knowing that they have the EA application, and my grades, I'm now considering it. I'm at a T2 in the 70s, part time student in the top 10%, GPA 3.67. I am from Maryland, and lived in DC for two years post college. I would be applying to transfer into either part time or day (or maybe just PT if that might help me?)

I haven't read through last years GULC EA thread, but I thought I would ask here. Everyone seems really knowledgable about it!

For EA to GULC I would guess you will be a deferred. With that said anything is possible since GULC's EA tends to be hard to predict.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm

katekate wrote:OK, I never thought about transferring to georgetown before yesterday, but knowing that they have the EA application, and my grades, I'm now considering it. I'm at a T2 in the 70s, part time student in the top 10%, GPA 3.67. I am from Maryland, and lived in DC for two years post college. I would be applying to transfer into either part time or day (or maybe just PT if that might help me?)

IIRC, part-time students can't transfer because they will not have enough credits. Don't take my word for it, though.

Also, you're probably not a lock, but if you can keep you gpa steady (or improve next semester), you've probably got a pretty good chance.

katekate

New

Post by katekate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 pm

mistergoft wrote:

IIRC, part-time students can't transfer because they will not have enough credits. Don't take my word for it, though.

Also, you're probably not a lock, but if you can keep you gpa steady (or improve next semester), you've probably got a pretty good chance.
Thanks! I'm 99% sure part time students can transfer, but maybe i will call to double check tomorrow.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:12 pm

GULC accepts part-time transfers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 pm

I want to emphasize that GULC EA is very unpredictable.

First semester last year i was around top 2 or 3% at semester from a T-30 and was deferred. It may be because my school did not not officially rank at the semester, but still it shows how random it can be.

katekate

New

Post by katekate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:23 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I want to emphasize that GULC EA is very unpredictable.

First semester last year i was around top 2 or 3% at semester from a T-30 and was deferred. It may be because my school did not not officially rank at the semester, but still it shows how random it can be.
Did you end up getting in regular admissions?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:37 pm

katekate wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:I want to emphasize that GULC EA is very unpredictable.

Did you end up getting in regular admissions?
I withdrew

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”