Question for anyone who has transferred TTT to T20 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thrillerjesus

New

Question for anyone who has transferred TTT to T20

Post by thrillerjesus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm planning on applying from my TTT to a couple of T20 and T30 schools. I know, I know, I can't assume anything, blah blah blah. I'm not. Maybe it won't work, although given both my assessments of my classmates and my 168 at a median 152 school, I think it makes sense to plan ahead.

So, that said, what's different at your new school? I'm not talking about OCI or other opportunities, I mean the day to day stuff. Is the level of instruction different? Are your classmates noticeable different?

beachbum

Gold

Re: Question for anyone who has transferred TTT to T20

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Sorry, morbid curiosity here, but why did you attend a TTT with a 168?

thrillerjesus

New

Post by thrillerjesus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Very unconventional undergrad experience. Long story short, I was an extreme reverse splitter, 168, 2.3. Being a couple years out of school with work experience in criminal law apparently wasn't enough to overcome the UGPA this year with floods of applicants fleeing the economy.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:58 pm

thrillerjesus wrote:Very unconventional undergrad experience. Long story short, I was an extreme reverse splitter, 168, 2.3. Being a couple years out of school with work experience in criminal law apparently wasn't enough to overcome the UGPA this year with floods of applicants fleeing the economy.
FWIW, high LSAT, low GPA is a regular splitter. Reverse splitter is high GPA, low LSAT.

To answer your question, it depends a lot of what TTT you go to and where you're trying to transfer. Not all TTTs are created equal. It makes a difference if you have a compelling reason for trying to break into a different market than you're in, or if you're moving from a lower ranked school to a higher ranked school in the same market. Plus transferring seems to be a crapshoot, so all you can really do is work hard and smart, get the best grades possible, put together a great transfer package and wait and see. Trying to guess now is going to be just that, guessing.

thrillerjesus

New

Post by thrillerjesus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks, I always get the whole splitter thing confused.

Just to be clear: I am NOT asking about my chances. I know the drill. I'm just curious what differences people who have made this particular jump have noticed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:49 pm

thrillerjesus wrote:I'm planning on applying from my TTT to a couple of T20 and T30 schools. I know, I know, I can't assume anything, blah blah blah. I'm not. Maybe it won't work, although given both my assessments of my classmates and my 168 at a median 152 school, I think it makes sense to plan ahead.

So, that said, what's different at your new school? I'm not talking about OCI or other opportunities, I mean the day to day stuff. Is the level of instruction different? Are your classmates noticeable different?
Went from t3-->t10. Profs are way better. There are still some not so great profs, but they are usually people who were at the top of their game, but just got older and wore down a bit mentally. Classmates are definitely noticeably different. I took a couple 1L courses my first transfer year (because I didn't they weren't required at my old school), and it was seriously the difference between night and day with those students in comparison to the 1L at my old school. Upper level classes are a bit different, though, because people really get a lot lazier after their first year (e.g. not doing the reading a lot of times, focusing on other things besides class, etc), and I'm no exception to that. There's a pretty heavy distinction between the intensity level of a 1L course and upper level courses, including the curved upper level courses.

EDIT- I would imagine there wouldn't be that much of difference in the quality of students at a t10 vs a t20-30. After all you are talking about a few points on the LSAT that made the difference between the 2 categories of schools. t20-30 schools, however, typically don't seem to have as many rockstar profs (e.g. you won't have posner and easterbrook from the 7th circuit teaching your classes at UIUC).

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Easterbrook seems like a dbag.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Easterbrook seems like a dbag.
i'd still lick his shoes clean every day for a clerkship.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:08 pm

If you want to get the ball rolling now the best thing you can do is start going to office hours and buttering up your profs for when it comes to asking for recs. This will have the double benefit of giving you 1 on 1 time with the prof where you can dig for exam related tips. Go do a practice test (or bring in a midterm if you have one) and go over the answer with your prof.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thrillerjesus

New

Post by thrillerjesus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:00 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
thrillerjesus wrote:I'm planning on applying from my TTT to a couple of T20 and T30 schools. I know, I know, I can't assume anything, blah blah blah. I'm not. Maybe it won't work, although given both my assessments of my classmates and my 168 at a median 152 school, I think it makes sense to plan ahead.

Went from t3-->t10. Profs are way better. There are still some not so great profs, but they are usually people who were at the top of their game, but just got older and wore down a bit mentally. Classmates are definitely noticeably different. I took a couple 1L courses my first transfer year (because I didn't they weren't required at my old school), and it was seriously the difference between night and day with those students in comparison to the 1L at my old school. Upper level classes are a bit different, though, because people really get a lot lazier after their first year (e.g. not doing the reading a lot of times, focusing on other things besides class, etc), and I'm no exception to that. There's a pretty heavy distinction between the intensity level of a 1L course and upper level courses, including the curved upper level courses.

EDIT- I would imagine there wouldn't be that much of difference in the quality of students at a t10 vs a t20-30. After all you are talking about a few points on the LSAT that made the difference between the 2 categories of schools. t20-30 schools, however, typically don't seem to have as many rockstar profs (e.g. you won't have posner and easterbrook from the 7th circuit teaching your classes at UIUC).
Was it your impression that the 1L classes you took at the new school covered a lot more ground than at your old school?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 pm

thrillerjesus wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

Was it your impression that the 1L classes you took at the new school covered a lot more ground than at your old school?
Probably less ground, if anything. You really don't learn jackshit substantively at top schools. I think the reasoning is because at lower ranked schools there is more of a focus on doing things that will help ensure their students pass the bar, whereas, passing the bar is expected at top schools... I recall talking with one of the associates at my firm last summer about something crim law related. The following was our conversation:

Associate: [he talks about something (I don't remember what), let's call it "X"]
Me: What's X?
Associate: [Stares at me blankly for a few seconds] Are you fucking kidding me?
Me: No, I really don't know what X is.
Associate: Where did you take crim law at?
Me: XYZ top law school
Associate: Oh, okay, that explains it. I don't understand how they didn't teach you about X. It's about as basic of a concept in crim law as mens rea and actus reus.

Loyant

New

Post by Loyant » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:42 pm

My classmates are different. The TTTTs collect two separate pools of students. One pool is fresh out of undergrad and bombed at either GPA, LSAT, or both. The second pool consists of older individuals looking for a career change. I always enjoyed talking to and listening to this latter group in class. At my new school the student population is much, much younger. I find the lack of life experience in the student body to be a negative. The sheer intelligence and potential of the "fresh out of undergrad" group is, however, vastly superior at my new school.

The faculty is different in that they are more comfortable, sort of at the top of their profession. At my original school, I observed a sense of desperation, as in the faculty was fervently wishing to teach higher up the food chain.

Day to day operations I don't really see that much of a difference, but I would say the overall atmosphere is more relaxed. Even though the economy is bad, there isn't so much of a feeling of impending doom about graduating. At my TTTT, the students were very much aware of where they were ..... and the looming uncertainty of what graduation would .... bring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”