Transferring Law Schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
law_noob

New

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Post by law_noob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:56 pm

does anyone have any idea of an estimation on the number of tranfers texas takes in a given year? I have read somewhere that they didnt take any transfers for the 2009 yr.....

Also, do schools in the lower 14 open up spots as some of their students transfer to the t6?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Dude, a 5 % difference at his school is probably no more than 5 people.
So what? He said " top 10% at a MINIMUM and still unlikely," when he has less than top 10% and was accepted. Don't care that his acceptance was also unlikely, because it kind of indicates that the top 10% MINIMUM isn't really a minimum.

And who cares what the absolute # of people between top 10% and top 14% is at his school? Why not also look at the absolute # of people ranked between top 10% and top 14% at all schools ranked between Seattle and his T3?
Would transfering to another school to particpate in a special program only offered at that school be a compelling reason? GWU has an Administrative Law and Gov. Law Certificate program that I want and I dont have the LSAT score or GPA to easily get into that school.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:22 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Would transfering to another school to particpate in a special program only offered at that school be a compelling reason? GWU has an Administrative Law and Gov. Law Certificate program that I want and I dont have the LSAT score or GPA to easily get into that school.
Those kind of things aren't a huge advantage in the legal hiring market; if you want to work in government (which I'm assuming because of the interest in a government law certificate) what's really a help is 1) strength of school (prestige, ranking, networking/connections) and 2) internships with public interest, preferably in the same field as the government agency you most want to work for. A certificate like that is a line on your resume that can make you look better, but at other schools there are lots of other things you can do to add an impressive line to your resume.

However, transferring might still be worth it if GWU is a significantly better school than where you are now, assuming you're a 1L. If you're a 0L, prep hard for the LSAT and retake, and then ED to a top law school that's splitter-friendly. These things might sound difficult, but if you're a 0L they're much more in your control than the ability to transfer later.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:57 pm

law_noob wrote:does anyone have any idea of an estimation on the number of tranfers texas takes in a given year? I have read somewhere that they didnt take any transfers for the 2009 yr.....

Tyblack

New

Post by Tyblack » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:47 am

What will I need (if my lsat was not that good and my U GPA sucked) as a Seton Hall parttime Student to transfer to Fordham, NYU, or Columbia... Please HELP!!! I really want out of NJ

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nleefer

New

Post by nleefer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Tyblack wrote:What will I need (if my lsat was not that good and my U GPA sucked) as a Seton Hall parttime Student to transfer to Fordham, NYU, or Columbia... Please HELP!!! I really want out of NJ
UGPA and LSAT are basically meaningless for transfer students. Do better than all your classmates, and if you are at the top of your class you will have good options.

From a T2 to T6 you are probably talking better than top 5%; you should probably be at or near the top of your class (I heard Columbia took a huge transfer class this year, so odds may be better there).

For Fordham I'd guess top 10-15% would give you a good shot, but I think that transferring to a T1 is a tougher call. You give up a lot leaving a school, so I would take a very hard look at employment prospects for top of the class at Seton Hall versus those for Fordham.

StoneontaState

New

Post by StoneontaState » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 am

Anybody have some info on how many transfer students Benjamin Cardozo accepts? I'm hoping to laterally transfer there for geographic reasons.

lovelaw27

Bronze

Post by lovelaw27 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Go to the following website if you want to check out information on any other schools: http://officialguide.lsac.org/release/O ... fault.aspx

yankees530

New

Post by yankees530 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Hey I'm from Florida but currently attend John Marshall in Chicago. I graded into law review and trial ad. The opportunity to transfer to Florida State Law has arisen, should I take it and run?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:47 pm

Any thoughts on transferring from Texas to Harvard after the first year? What kind of class rank would I need to make it realistic?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 am

macunaima wrote:Any thoughts on transferring from Texas to Harvard after the first year? What kind of class rank would I need to make it realistic?
You would need to be in the top 10% for it to even be worth an app fee. Truly stellar softs can help from there, but grades/rank matter immensely and many transfers were either first in their class or very close to it.

yankees530

New

Post by yankees530 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 pm

What are my chances of transferring from John Marshall in Chicago to Florida State? What class rank is realistic?

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:34 pm

nleefer wrote:
Tyblack wrote:What will I need (if my lsat was not that good and my U GPA sucked) as a Seton Hall parttime Student to transfer to Fordham, NYU, or Columbia... Please HELP!!! I really want out of NJ
UGPA and LSAT are basically meaningless for transfer students. Do better than all your classmates, and if you are at the top of your class you will have good options.

From a T2 to T6 you are probably talking better than top 5%; you should probably be at or near the top of your class (I heard Columbia took a huge transfer class this year, so odds may be better there).

For Fordham I'd guess top 10-15% would give you a good shot, but I think that transferring to a T1 is a tougher call. You give up a lot leaving a school, so I would take a very hard look at employment prospects for top of the class at Seton Hall versus those for Fordham.
Top 10% at Rutgers 1L, transferred to Columbia this year. Columbia did indeed take an insanneee amount of transfers this year. I think it's easier to hit than NYU - I had no notable work experience, likely generic LORs, mediocre personal statement, but still made it. Bust ass, get As, and get out. OCI was rough but i banked one offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:40 pm

also keep in mind it is almost impossible to transfer from a parttime program to nyu or columbia and you don;t want to transfer to fordham probably b/c you can't participate in oci as a transfer

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:17 am

afterglow99 wrote:
nleefer wrote:

Top 10% at Rutgers 1L, transferred to Columbia this year. Columbia did indeed take an insanneee amount of transfers this year. I think it's easier to hit than NYU - I had no notable work experience, likely generic LORs, mediocre personal statement, but still made it. Bust ass, get As, and get out. OCI was rough but i banked one offer.

I think he was more like top 5% or so. T2 Top 10% wasnt sniffing t14 this year.....

IF you really want T14 you have to be in the middle single digits now.

Christophosphorus

New

Post by Christophosphorus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 am

Question:

Chances of transferring from Southwestern in LA to something like USC, UCLA? I've heard that USC might be possible, but UCLA is a longshot.

Similarly, what if you're top 1% of the class? What's the best (theoretically) you could do? Is it even possible to think about a Top 20?

Best,

C.Phosphorus

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:49 am

Christophosphorus wrote:Question:

Chances of transferring from Southwestern in LA to something like USC, UCLA? I've heard that USC might be possible, but UCLA is a longshot.

Similarly, what if you're top 1% of the class? What's the best (theoretically) you could do? Is it even possible to think about a Top 20?

Best,

C.Phosphorus
There used to be a poster on here who transferred from Southwestern to Loyola with top 20% grades. Here's what he said about people he know that transferred up higher:
Danteshek wrote:One person transferred to Berkeley from Southwestern this year. A few others transferred to UCLA and USC. All were in the top 5%.
In other words, possible, but extremely unlikely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Danteshek is gone?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Best,

C.Phosphorus
Arrow (top 1%) transferred from Loyola to Berkeley.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 pm

rad law wrote:Danteshek is gone?
He apparently stopped logging in a couple weeks ago. I don't know how long he's going to stay away, but I figured in his absence I'd point out the data he'd share if he were here.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Christophosphorus wrote:I've heard that USC might be possible, but UCLA is a longshot.
Generally the opposite is true from my observations. UCLA takes many more transfers than USC, and not a single transfer I know at UCLA got accepted to USC as a transfer. (Even a couple of people who did u-grad at SC were rejected for transfer admissions.)

Not sure how much it correlates to 1L performance, but certainly a lot of it is just that USC only takes a small handful of transfers each year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:22 am

Best,

C.Phosphorus
Why do you ask?

Scuzzlebutt

New

Post by Scuzzlebutt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 am

Anyone know the chances for transferring from a T30 to BC/BU? My fiancee's being moved to the greater Boston area and I'm looking to transfer next fall.

Thanks.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:19 am

Scuzzlebutt wrote:Anyone know the chances for transferring from a T30 to BC/BU? My fiancee's being moved to the greater Boston area and I'm looking to transfer next fall.

Thanks.
That's a lateral transfer. Top 1/3 plus a good reason (sounds like you have one) + softs that don't put off the admissions committee should make you good to go. However, BC and BU both admit a relatively small amount of transfers compared to other T30 schools, so you might want to call and ask them to make sure they don't have any unique transfer policies in place.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Last edited by courtneylove on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”