Transferring Law Schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:15 pm

APHill wrote:If it was me I would opt for top 5%, Summa Cum Laude, Order of Coif at T1 versus bottom 30% at T14.

ITE may not be relevant either, as Q1 2010 F500 profits increased 76% in comparison to prior year...."ITE" will be quickly forgotten as somebody invents a new bubble.
a) I would opt for whichever one of those got me a job, tyvm.

b) Here's hoping the economy recovers, that would be awesome.

funemployment

New

Post by funemployment » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:30 am

I'm going to be a 1L at Southwestern this fall and was wondering what is the probability of transferring to a t2 school such as Loyola?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:32 am

funemployment wrote:I'm going to be a 1L at Southwestern this fall and was wondering what is the probability of transferring to a t2 school such as Loyola?
This would likely be pointless, considering you'd likely be at least in the top 1/3 of your class and I can't really think of a reason you wouldn't just stay put with above top 1/3 grades. Now, if you rock 1L and can pull of top 5%, then I could see transferring to UCLA/USC/Irvine being worth it.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:59 am

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:45 am

bwv812 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
APHill wrote:If it was me I would opt for top 5%, Summa Cum Laude, Order of Coif at T1 versus bottom 30% at T14.

ITE may not be relevant either, as Q1 2010 F500 profits increased 76% in comparison to prior year...."ITE" will be quickly forgotten as somebody invents a new bubble.
a) I would opt for whichever one of those got me a job, tyvm.
Nice insight. Any advice for those of us that don't have time machines or are not quantum beings?
witha time machine law school would be moot as time travellers would become professional lottery players.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arthurfels

New

Post by arthurfels » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

This site is so informative, and I was wondering if someone could help me with some advice on my current situation.

I recently got accepted into a T3 school - Southwestern, and a T4 - Whittier. My undergrad grades were my weak point (3.15 GPA - due to a very particular situation I explained in an addendum), but I did well on the LSAT, with a 166. My goal is to get excellent grades in first year and transfer in my second year to a better school. I am offered a large scholarship at Whittier (T4), but no scholarship at Southwestern (T3). Would starting off at Southwestern improve my chances of transfer, or would they only consider my class rank if it's between a T3 and T4? I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking out a sizable loan over.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:03 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Jeez. A 3.15/166 should get you in at a mid-T1 law school. Reapply next year. Whittier or SW will give you a worthless degree.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:59 pm

arthurfels wrote:This site is so informative, and I was wondering if someone could help me with some advice on my current situation.

I recently got accepted into a T3 school - Southwestern, and a T4 - Whittier. My undergrad grades were my weak point (3.15 GPA - due to a very particular situation I explained in an addendum), but I did well on the LSAT, with a 166. My goal is to get excellent grades in first year and transfer in my second year to a better school. I am offered a large scholarship at Whittier (T4), but no scholarship at Southwestern (T3). Would starting off at Southwestern improve my chances of transfer, or would they only consider my class rank if it's between a T3 and T4? I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking out a sizable loan over.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Your LSAT means you deserve a better school than either of those. Southwestern owes you a full scholarship (which by the way I would pick over Whittier - Whittier has the single worst reputation of any law school I've ever heard of. ever.) Going there would be career suicide - ironic because you would never get a job in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Anyone know the chances of transferring from Seattle U. to University of Washington? Both in Seattle...UW's ranked in the 30s and SU dropped to the 80s.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:20 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:Anyone know the chances of transferring from Seattle U. to University of Washington? Both in Seattle...UW's ranked in the 30s and SU dropped to the 80s.
Less than 10 percent chance.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:22 pm

UW takes like 3 kids a year. You better have a very very good reason for not being able to drive to Seattle U and needing to attend the U of W.
Danteshek wrote:
KIM_SAYS: wrote:Anyone know the chances of transferring from Seattle U. to University of Washington? Both in Seattle...UW's ranked in the 30s and SU dropped to the 80s.

hotdog

New

Post by hotdog » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:01 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:04 pm

thexfactor wrote:UW takes like 3 kids a year. You better have a very very good reason for not being able to drive to Seattle U and needing to attend the U of W.
Danteshek wrote:
I would actually say more like 30%. Those two schools have their own little clique going on in Seattle. Plus, I know there are people that go from my school to UW every year.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 pm

transplantedbuckeye wrote:
thexfactor wrote:UW takes like 3 kids a year. You better have a very very good reason for not being able to drive to Seattle U and needing to attend the U of W.
Danteshek wrote:
I would actually say more like 30%. Those two schools have their own little clique going on in Seattle. Plus, I know there are people that go from my school to UW every year.
See bolded. +1 to Danteshek.

diplo

New

Post by diplo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm about to start my 1L at Roger Williams (not on the top-100). My end goal is in International / Diplomatic work (not biglaw or academia), so I'm obviously going to work my ass to be at the top of the class. I've found a few schools in Boston + DC that I'm particularly eyeing BC,Suffolk,Northeastern,GULC,GW,GM because of region/concentrations.

Because RWU is so poorly ranked (if not ranked at all) is it impossible to transfer out to these schools? Ranked 14-86, I know.

phishskier41

New

Post by phishskier41 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:07 pm

diplo wrote:I'm about to start my 1L at Roger Williams (not on the top-100). My end goal is in International / Diplomatic work (not biglaw or academia), so I'm obviously going to work my ass to be at the top of the class. I've found a few schools in Boston + DC that I'm particularly eyeing BC,Suffolk,Northeastern,GULC,GW,GM because of region/concentrations.

Because RWU is so poorly ranked (if not ranked at all) is it impossible to transfer out to these schools? Ranked 14-86, I know.
Possible yes, likely no, don't go to a law school that you would not be happy graduating from.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:51 pm

phishskier41 wrote:
diplo wrote:I'm about to start my 1L at Roger Williams (not on the top-100). My end goal is in International / Diplomatic work (not biglaw or academia), so I'm obviously going to work my ass to be at the top of the class. I've found a few schools in Boston + DC that I'm particularly eyeing BC,Suffolk,Northeastern,GULC,GW,GM because of region/concentrations.

Possible yes, likely no, don't go to a law school that you would not be happy graduating from.
+1

kll7891

New

Post by kll7891 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Starting in the fall at a school ranked 60th by UNWR. If I do well (top 15% or above) what are my chances of transferring to a top 30 school? Top 20 even? I am staying close to home because of family issues, I would love to live and practice in Colorado or on the East Coast one day.

mapnoren

New

Post by mapnoren » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:01 pm

kll7891 wrote:Starting in the fall at a school ranked 60th by UNWR. If I do well (top 15% or above) what are my chances of transferring to a top 30 school? Top 20 even? I am staying close to home because of family issues, I would love to live and practice in Colorado or on the East Coast one day.
As a transfer myself, let me tell as many others will, that transferring law schools is very difficult bc it is very hard to determine the type of grades you will end up with. However, hypothetically if you ended up in the top 15% of your class at a school in the 60's you could def. get into a top 30 school and maybe get into schools in the 15-20 range. Just don't be a super gunner or you will stress your self out beyond the point of thinking rationally, study hard and try to relax.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Also a transfer here. Just a note of caution, its been said a million times before. DO NOT go anywhere you wouldn't be happy spending three years at. Grading can be subjective and transferring is even more of a crapshoot. Just don't go into 1L thinking you are going to be able to transfer. Let the chips fall where they may.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm

kll7891 wrote:Starting in the fall at a school ranked 60th by UNWR. If I do well (top 15% or above) what are my chances of transferring to a top 30 school? Top 20 even? I am staying close to home because of family issues, I would love to live and practice in Colorado or on the East Coast one day.
Read the sticky and GTFO.

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 am

Well, my cycle didn't go as well as I'd hoped. My LSAT was about 10 points lower than I'd expected given my practice tests and I don't feel my personal statement ever really came together. Still, I'll be starting at Texas in a couple of weeks and I'm sure I'll be happy there. But if I end up in the top 10% of my class I'm definitely applying for a transfer to Harvard or Yale.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Want to keep me company here during 1L?

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:46 am

Top 10% @ UT --> Harvard/Yale?

Don't get your hopes up?

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:17 pm

rynabrius wrote:Top 10% @ UT --> Harvard/Yale?

Don't get your hopes up?

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”