Transfer for scholly leverage? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Teoeo

Silver

Transfer for scholly leverage?

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Hey, I'm just a 0L but I was wondering if it is common practice for people with top grades to apply for xfer just for the purpose of leveraging money from wherever they are attending. Have any of you done this? Has it been successful?

snowpeach06

Gold

Re: Transfer for scholly leverage?

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:31 pm

I don't know about law school, but, I have a friend working towards her masters that did it. It worked. I'd imagine it can't hurt.

jlockhart6

Bronze

Post by jlockhart6 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Really depends on how high you are ranked and what school you are at. But I would imagine regardless of your school, if you are the top of your class it would work.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Yes, this is common as far as I know. I had a couple of Deans of Admissions tell me expressly that they do anything they can to keep people from transferring, not at all barring scholarship offers.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Cool, Ill keep this in mind if I randomly do well =D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transferlegalaidy

New

Post by transferlegalaidy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

a lot of schools also offer academic scholarships after 1L if you're top 5 or 10 in your class regardless of transferring opportunities.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:23 pm

jlockhart6 wrote:Really depends on how high you are ranked and what school you are at. But I would imagine regardless of your school, if you are the top of your class it would work.
I ended up around the top of my class and this didn't work for me.

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:34 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
jlockhart6 wrote:Really depends on how high you are ranked and what school you are at. But I would imagine regardless of your school, if you are the top of your class it would work.
I ended up around the top of my class and this didn't work for me.
Can you share more information on your experience? How did your original school and transfer school(s) compare in rank? Did you already have scholarships at your original school? How did you approach the negotiations? Did you wind up transferring, or did your school successfully call your bluff?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”