[deleted] Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Emory or American for International/Human Rights Law

Emory
65%
American
35%

Total votes: 17

changein2010

New

[deleted]

Post by changein2010 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

{deleted}
Last edited by changein2010 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

notroyal

New

Re: Emory or American for International Law/Human Rights?

Post by notroyal » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Retake?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Okay, what do you actually want to do when you graduate? For instance, what is the job you are aiming to get with your degree?

I ask because "international law" and "human rights" are nebulous things, and there are honestly very few opportunities for working "internationally" with a JD from either school you're describing. If you gave a better idea of what you actually want to do people might be able to help you, but for now I think the stock response will be that neither can do what you seem to want.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 pm

notroyal wrote:Retake?
This is the transfers forum. OP is likely a rising 2L.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
If so, then OP is a pretty clueless 2L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:This is the transfers forum. OP is likely a rising 2L.
What does rising mean exactly?

I've often take it to mean someone who is doing well, but everybody seems to call themselves a rising junior/senior/1L/2L/3L.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

bk187 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:This is the transfers forum. OP is likely a rising 2L.
What does rising mean exactly?

I've often take it to mean someone who is doing well, but everybody seems to call themselves a rising junior/senior/1L/2L/3L.
It's the term used when asked what you will be next semester, usually used during the summer/end of 2nd semester.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

stratocophic wrote:It's the term used when asked what you will be next semester, usually used during the summer/end of 2nd semester.
Ah thank you.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

bk187 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:It's the term used when asked what you will be next semester, usually used during the summer/end of 2nd semester.
Ah thank you.
NP

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
TITCR

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:27 pm

While an 0L, I'll give my two cents since I ran a human rights org for a while in DC.

This all depends on what you want to do with the degree. If you are interested in a US immigration law private practice/firm, i would figure Emory would be your best shot but I know a few recent american, gwu, gtown and umbc grads who work in DC within the immigration field.

If you're focused on the PI side of things, HR policy, civil rights, immigration policy, government job etc... then I would say go with American. While an Emory degree will likely give you national mobility - others can talk more about this - American has the better location for you to make the necessary connections to nail down that job you want.

Don't be fooled, the competition is tight for those PI jobs (i know I received interest from about 150 lawyers for 1 staff attorney position we were trying to fill), but I wouldn't imagine it's any different from applying for firm jobs. The market is simply over saturated.

If you're interested in a Fed job, American is btr than Emory hands down. While you may get a marginally better education in GA, but your opportunity to network not only with Feds, but also the law and graduate profs (many of who have deep connections in govt) will serve you well if this is your goal.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm

READ THE RULES.... jk..
:lol:
your post is semi insightful.
PoliticalJunkie wrote: While an 0L, I'll give my two cents since I ran a human rights org for a while in DC.

This all depends on what you want to do with the degree. If you are interested in a US immigration law private practice/firm, i would figure Emory would be your best shot but I know a few recent american, gwu, gtown and umbc grads who work in DC within the immigration field.

If you're focused on the PI side of things, HR policy, civil rights, immigration policy, government job etc... then I would say go with American. While an Emory degree will likely give you national mobility - others can talk more about this - American has the better location for you to make the necessary connections to nail down that job you want.

Don't be fooled, the competition is tight for those PI jobs (i know I received interest from about 150 lawyers for 1 staff attorney position we were trying to fill), but I wouldn't imagine it's any different from applying for firm jobs. The market is simply over saturated.

If you're interested in a Fed job, American is btr than Emory hands down. While you may get a marginally better education in GA, but your opportunity to network not only with Feds, but also the law and graduate profs (many of who have deep connections in govt) will serve you well if this is your goal.

changein2010

New

Post by changein2010 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Yes, I am a rising 2L. And no, I'm not clueless. If you took the time to read my post, you would know that I that I am weighing my options. The word clueless implies that I know nothing about either school, which is not the case. I realize that American presents greater opportunities for internships, externships, and networking in the DC area, while Emory provides more of a national mobility and strong reputation in international law. The point of the post is to get everyone's feedback on the subject, not to read baseless remarks with insufficient support. Perhaps you should take the time to improve your diction (that means word choice) before you make any more responses.

changein2010

New

Post by changein2010 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:37 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Okay, what do you actually want to do when you graduate? For instance, what is the job you are aiming to get with your degree?

I ask because "international law" and "human rights" are nebulous things, and there are honestly very few opportunities for working "internationally" with a JD from either school you're describing. If you gave a better idea of what you actually want to do people might be able to help you, but for now I think the stock response will be that neither can do what you seem to want.

Right now, I'd jump at the chance to work for the State Department or USCIS for federal agencies. On the public interest front, I would consider working with human rights organizations servicing foreign countries. The ultimate goal is an immigration judgeship. But, that could change to incorporating some litigation aspects in the same field.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”