Help Decide The Fate of 87 Traydeuce Dollars (Cornell?) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Apply to Cornell tonight?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 46

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Re: Help Decide The Fate of 87 Traydeuce Dollars (Cornell?)

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 am

regardless of my criticism about your transfer application strategy, which I can fairly characterize as maybe optimistic, I am in awe of your determination to do two writing competitions in two law schools BEFORE being admitted.

I sincerely hope you get into Chicago, and make it onto the law review or secondary journal (from what I understand, there's a cap of 2 transfer students for the law review)

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:45 am

tray -- seconding yellowjacket, I would really delete that post about the write on immediately. I'm not saying it's wrong to post, it just has the 'appearance of impropriety.'

arstech

New

Post by arstech » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:11 am

I don't think that stating the topic of the competition a few days before the scores are announced is a big deal. While some people may have gotten extensions, it seems unlikely that anyone could still be working on it. Moreover, it's not like merely knowing the topic is of any advantage whatsoever.

Back on topic: it seems like the correct answer is to apply so long as you might take Cornell over GULC. The fact that they only matriculate 10 (or whatever) students doesn't mean that they don't admit more. A lot of people probably just choose other schools.

That being said, I think that the transfer class might be larger this year. A number of people dropped out, and I know of several prospective transfer students looking to go elsewhere (myself included) [1]. Of course, that would require me actually getting into a fucking school :twisted:

[1] This shouldn't be taken to mean that I'm not completely happy with Cornell. [2]
[2] Recursive footnote!!! [2]

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:35 am

rynabrius wrote:tray -- seconding yellowjacket, I would really delete that post about the write on immediately. I'm not saying it's wrong to post, it just has the 'appearance of impropriety.'
On a related note, I can't help but wonder if Tray's off the wall arrogance in some his prior posts has been spotted by lurking adcomm members. He's posted more than enough identifying information to easily out himself to anyone that reviews his applications and some of the things that were posted on here would likely turn off adcomms greatly.

arstech

New

Post by arstech » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:45 am

2009 Prospective wrote:On a related note, I can't help but wonder if Tray's off the wall arrogance in some his prior posts has been spotted by lurking adcomm members. He's posted more than enough identifying information to easily out himself to anyone that reviews his applications and some of the things that were posted on here would likely turn off adcomms greatly.
While possible, I like to think that adcomms have better things to do with their time than play detective on an internet forum.

It seems more likely that his massive arrogance came across on his personal statement :wink:

(just kidding—I actually haven't noticed this arrogance)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:53 am

yellowjacket2012 wrote:I sincerely hope you get into Chicago, and make it onto the law review or secondary journal (from what I understand, there's a cap of 2 transfer students for the law review)
Yeah, there's a cap, but, given that they're only taking 10, and the difficulty of adapting to a citation format you've never seen - on the basis of which you have to do a really detailed subcite - I really, really doubt that there will ever be a third transfer who would have made it if not for the cap. Actually, I understand transfers hardly ever make the cut.

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 am

Is there any sort of consensus about how bad it is to apply late in the game for transfers? I know a lot of schools where 1L grades don't come out until the end of June, so there must be quite a few late apps going out.

hoping10

New

Post by hoping10 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:28 am

So what did you decide to do, Tray?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:28 am

Well, I think it depends on the school. Perhaps Cornell, for example, is used to taking the scraps... I couldn't imagine the yield up there is so hot considering the weather up there is so cold.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EggShellPlaintiff

New

Post by EggShellPlaintiff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 am

I bet Cornell's yield is fairly high. A lot of the transfers are from Brooklyn, Cardozo, Fordham, and Rutgers, but don't quite have the grades for NYU or Columbia. Also, a lot of their transfers went there for undergrad.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 am

Oh I didn't apply. So if I go 0/7 on my other apps, which does seem hard to believe, Georgetown it will be.

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 am

Dude- why in god's name would you go to Cornell over GULC? You're in the middle of Washington at an awesome campus vs. upstate new york with no discernible change in quality or job prospects.

Plus- you went to W&L, right? At GULC you'd be applying to firms in the DC area that already know of your 1L school which would make you less on an "unknown quantity" during 2L OCI which is what sometimes hurts transfers.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:07 am

^^ I don't find it an awesome campus, though I like the buildings (that is, I don't like cities), but yes, you're probably right and I didn't apply.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm

I thought GULC was awesome when I visited but I am a cities person and love DC. It was the rare urban campus that actually felt like it's own bubble (think Northwestern, UChicago even) instead of GW or NYU.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:21 pm

I, on the other hand, found GULC's buildings to be tacky and sort of twisted in a nightmaric type of way. The location is unbeatable though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”