Official UCLA 2010 Transfer Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
doublethink

New

Re: Official UCLA 2010 Transfer Thread

Post by doublethink » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:41 pm

I am still waiting but it's not looking good. I know at least 2 ppl from my school who were accepted, plus there have been about 40 people admitted. What do you guys think - is there yet hope?

Saucie, what did the subject matter of your email say?

High T2/top 10%

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Hey so those of you who were able to go today to the admitted student thing, how did it go?

JoJ2124

New

Post by JoJ2124 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 pm

^ +1.

doublethink

New

Post by doublethink » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 pm

JoJ2124 wrote:^ +1.
Huh?

JoJ2124

New

Post by JoJ2124 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Sorry, just meant I'd be interested in hearing about the admitted students session as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doublethink

New

Post by doublethink » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 pm

JoJ2124 wrote:Sorry, just meant I'd be interested in hearing about the admitted students session as well.
Lol, I thought it was some kind of wink or else a +1 admitted.

saucie

New

Post by saucie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:59 am

doublethink wrote:I am still waiting but it's not looking good. I know at least 2 ppl from my school who were accepted, plus there have been about 40 people admitted. What do you guys think - is there yet hope?

High T2/top 10%
That they regretted to inform me that my application was denied. In another email, they told me that there were 35 spaces and over 300 applicants.

doublethink

New

Post by doublethink » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:23 pm

I mean the subject line of the email, as in "UCLA Law Decision" or something.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 pm

i'd also love to hear what you guys heard at the information session. specifically, about oci and journals. also, anything else important, but not really the general administrative stuff. anyone care to share?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

saucie

New

Post by saucie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:38 pm

doublethink wrote:I mean the subject line of the email, as in "UCLA Law Decision" or something.
It says "UCLA Law"

Pilaf Rocket

New

Post by Pilaf Rocket » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:40 pm

leron wrote:i'd also love to hear what you guys heard at the information session. specifically, about oci and journals. also, anything else important, but not really the general administrative stuff. anyone care to share?
As you likely know, OCI is in two rounds. Both times, you rank/bid up to 40 firms. A computer than assigns interviews based on your rankings in comparison to other student's rankings. Therefore, firms do not select who they want to interview (I hope this doesn't mean I'll get firms that read "Transfer" on my resume and immediately tune me out). They stressed that a majority of students do not get their summer 2L job through OCI so don't freak out if you don't get callbacks.

As for LR, depending on their needs, they usually take 5 or so transfers (out of 35). 200 page packet passed out around Labor Day weekend.

Overall, it was a very informative meeting. I have extensive notes at home, but stuck at work so tonight I'll post more.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm

doublethink wrote:I am still waiting but it's not looking good. I know at least 2 ppl from my school who were accepted, plus there have been about 40 people admitted. What do you guys think - is there yet hope?

High T2/top 10%
yea, lots of folks have been offered admission. round 1 looks overs. we have to hope round 2 is better for us. i kind of doubt it'll go as far down to my #s, but i'll keep my fingers crossed

mrxismyhro

New

Post by mrxismyhro » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm

so for those of you who have been accepted as transfers, there is now a facebook group so that we can find out who everyone is.

it's called "UCLA Law 2012 Transfer Students"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Ok so transfer bid strategies? and what type of schools is everyone coming from?

Im coming from Indiana, around top 7%, not totally sure how i should bid, since most schools may not know what to do with an IU student. I'm originally from CA and decided it was a good idea to head back.

Pilaf Rocket

New

Post by Pilaf Rocket » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:21 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Ok so transfer bid strategies? and what type of schools is everyone coming from?

Im coming from Indiana, around top 7%, not totally sure how i should bid, since most schools may not know what to do with an IU student. I'm originally from CA and decided it was a good idea to head back.
Nice to meet ya. In regards to strategy, I realized we may be at a disadvantage. I was looking at the OCI list and almost all firms "prefer" Moot Court/Mock Trial or Law Review. Transfer write on competition is not until September...

I've been asking around at the firm I work for now (upper V100) in regards to transfer students and OCI. Most around here say it won't hurt, and in fact, our high GPA/rank may help. Attorney's here have stressed some firms will definitely discriminate against transfers, but that may tell you it's not a firm you want to work for anyways. My direct boss, who was the firm's rep for OCIs at Berkeley, said everyone has an impressive resume, and the purpose of the OCI is to determine if you are the type of person they want to have around.

Take all this with grain of salt, I'm fortunate to work for a relatively laid back firm.

As for specific bidding strategy, I'm thinking of emailing Career Services to see how transfers do with the top firms. If the top firms never bring on transfers as SA, why waste the bid.

supa2001

New

Post by supa2001 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Just got the rejection email... :cry:

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 pm

supa2001 wrote:Just got the rejection email... :cry:
bleh. i am so sorry. =( if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JoJ2124

New

Post by JoJ2124 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 pm

Pilaf Rocket wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Ok so transfer bid strategies? and what type of schools is everyone coming from?

Nice to meet ya. In regards to strategy, I realized we may be at a disadvantage. I was looking at the OCI list and almost all firms "prefer" Moot Court/Mock Trial or Law Review. Transfer write on competition is not until September...

I've been asking around at the firm I work for now (upper V100) in regards to transfer students and OCI. Most around here say it won't hurt, and in fact, our high GPA/rank may help. Attorney's here have stressed some firms will definitely discriminate against transfers, but that may tell you it's not a firm you want to work for anyways. My direct boss, who was the firm's rep for OCIs at Berkeley, said everyone has an impressive resume, and the purpose of the OCI is to determine if you are the type of person they want to have around.

Take all this with grain of salt, I'm fortunate to work for a relatively laid back firm.

As for specific bidding strategy, I'm thinking of emailing Career Services to see how transfers do with the top firms. If the top firms never bring on transfers as SA, why waste the bid.
If you talk to someone at OCS, they can email you a sheet with firms and the years transfers have gotten summer positions there.

Also in regards to the way firms view transfers, I recently talked to someone in recruiting at the firm I used to work at (V25) and I was told that firms usually make note during an interview if you are a transfer, and if they aren't familiar with your original school, they will probably check up on it to see how competitive it is. However, if it's a more well-known school (T1/T2), being a transfer doesn't make too much of a difference. I suppose you should probably take this with a grain of salt as well, as this is only coming from one specific firm.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm

JoJ2124 wrote:
Pilaf Rocket wrote:

If you talk to someone at OCS, they can email you a sheet with firms and the years transfers have gotten summer positions there.

Also in regards to the way firms view transfers, I recently talked to someone in recruiting at the firm I used to work at (V25) and I was told that firms usually make note during an interview if you are a transfer, and if they aren't familiar with your original school, they will probably check up on it to see how competitive it is. However, if it's a more well-known school (T1/T2), being a transfer doesn't make too much of a difference. I suppose you should probably take this with a grain of salt as well, as this is only coming from one specific firm.
Word to the wise: don't put too much weight on the list of firms that have taken a lot of transfers in the past. Many of them on that list are V10-V25 firms that took a lot of transfers pre-ITE. Best bidding strategy IMO is to make sure you bid widely all the way across the spectrum, from very selective firms to less selective firms.

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:49 pm

It looks like UCLA has wound down their acceptances. I haven't heard a peep about an acceptance here in a while. Though several rejections... BLEH.

Pilaf Rocket

New

Post by Pilaf Rocket » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:17 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
JoJ2124 wrote:
Pilaf Rocket wrote:

Word to the wise: don't put too much weight on the list of firms that have taken a lot of transfers in the past. Many of them on that list are V10-V25 firms that took a lot of transfers pre-ITE. Best bidding strategy IMO is to make sure you bid widely all the way across the spectrum, from very selective firms to less selective firms.
This is essentially what the career office told me. Though I have a higher GPA, they advised targeting firms in the 3.0-3.4 range. However, because it's a lottery, I'm going to include a couple top firms for the hell of it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pilaf Rocket

New

Post by Pilaf Rocket » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 pm

iheartlaw wrote:It looks like UCLA has wound down their acceptances. I haven't heard a peep about an acceptance here in a while. Though several rejections... BLEH.
Iheartlaw- are you still waiting to hear?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:21 pm

speaking of the devil... just got rejected........

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:43 pm

yes Pilaf I am... ahhh and I am desperately hoping I get in. my whole life is in LA. my business, my family, my friends, my network- it's where I want to practice. I was admitted to GUCL, but am not looking forward to moving 3,000 miles away =\ ..fwiw - t2 top 5%

Pilaf Rocket

New

Post by Pilaf Rocket » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:51 pm

iheartlaw wrote:yes Pilaf I am... ahhh and I am desperately hoping I get in. my whole life is in LA. my business, my family, my friends, my network- it's where I want to practice. I was admitted to GUCL, but am not looking forward to moving 3,000 miles away =\ ..fwiw - t2 top 5%
I know I'm not the only one who thinks this, but Robert Schwartz is a really approachable guy. You should consider giving him a call to stress how much you want UCLA, and also how you got into GULC (but rather have UCLA yada yada). It's worth a shot.
thexfactor wrote:speaking of the devil... just got rejected........
Damn...do you know where you'll be this fall?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”