Is it worth it? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawclerk2012

New

Is it worth it?

Post by lawclerk2012 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Another transferring thread but please offer any advice....

I attend an east coast T25-30 school that I am not happy with for both academically and personal reasons. After applying to transfer I was accepted at a school in my hometown (midwest), where I went to undergrad, and where I hope to work after school. The cost would be the same with in-state tuition but the new school is higher ranked (eight spots).

At my previous school I made the moot court team and a secondary journal. I am currently interning with a judge for the summer in the city where I was recently accepted. I asked him what he thought and he cautioned me against transferring because I would no longer be on a journal. This really concerns me.

It seems like transferring is really popular, do I have anything to worry about as far as a stigma on transfers?

Is it a big deal that I am giving up a journal? I don't have an awesome GPA so I don't feel I am losing anything in that regard...

Any help would be great!

chitown825

Bronze

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by chitown825 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:16 pm

I think you're one of the people who could transfer with no real adverse affects.

1. Keep in mind who is advising you: a judge.

If you want to be a judge or work for one, participation in a journal is huge. Obviously, he will view this as a priority; others may not. Also, the judge is incorrect to assume you will be unable to participate in a journal at your new school. Contact the transfer institution and ask if you can participate in any transfer write-on competitions.

2. Your employment connections seem to be in the transfer school's location

You worked in the Midwest town this summer, not on the East Coast. If you use this summer to develop connections in the area, you'll actually be better off transferring than staying.

3. The cost is the same.

This is a non-issue

4. Good luck deciding.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”