The "In Nowhere" Club Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

Re: The "In Nowhere" Club

Post by A'nold » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:07 pm

kevzez wrote:Well a new week starts in a couple of hours and I wish everyone in this category the best of luck with their cycle. I know schools still have a decent amount of acceptances left.
I have a feeling that this is the week. It was tremendously difficult to go this whole week without any positive news, but the next two weeks are crucial. I do not want to check the mail to find a ND rejection in the mail tomorrow CMR. :wink:

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:07 am

A'nold wrote:
kevzez wrote:Well a new week starts in a couple of hours and I wish everyone in this category the best of luck with their cycle. I know schools still have a decent amount of acceptances left.
I have a feeling that this is the week. It was tremendously difficult to go this whole week without any positive news, but the next two weeks are crucial. I do not want to check the mail to find a ND rejection in the mail tomorrow CMR. :wink:
Well, I left a spot open for you :). Good luck man - I agree, this week will be eventful.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 pm

This week has been a letdown so far..............

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 pm

A'nold wrote:This week has been a letdown so far..............
The week is not over yet, man. That being said, hurry up and get yourself into a school so we can celebrate the TLS FEELGOOD STORY OF THE YEAR. What you are (WERE) to hedging, traydeuce is to entitlement. Life and success is about striking the balance in between.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:40 pm

^^ I'm just an ordinary guy in the top of my class, I don't feel entitled to anything. I don't really think entitled is the word you're looking for; maybe you mean arrogance. Entitled is, like, the one girl who went to Princeton in your t40 school thinking that she'll get a great job, outrank everyone, etc. because she went to Princeton. Arrogance is the baked goods kerfuffle. Now I'll admit to being kind of full of myself, though I prefer to think I'm just an honest judge of my work - it was, actually, a really good exam, there was nothing else I could add, might as well go buy some baked goods - but I don't feel that anything's coming to me. Should I not get in places, I'll be surprised, but I won't question the fairness of the outcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:49 pm

solidsnake wrote:
The week is not over yet, man. That being said, hurry up and get yourself into a school so we can celebrate the TLS FEELGOOD STORY OF THE YEAR. What you are (WERE) to hedging, traydeuce is to entitlement. Life and success is about striking the balance in between.
Thanks solidsnake. Congrats to you on your news! I was at work so I couldn't say that earlier.

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting a certain school's decision that is supposed to be coming out this week, so fingers crossed!

kevzez

New

Post by kevzez » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 am

A'nold wrote:
solidsnake wrote:
Thanks solidsnake. Congrats to you on your news! I was at work so I couldn't say that earlier.

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting a certain school's decision that is supposed to be coming out this week, so fingers crossed!

Yea the beginning of this week has been surprisingly quiet, so hopefully we see lots of movement in the next few days.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:28 am

kevzez wrote:
A'nold wrote:
solidsnake wrote:

Yea the beginning of this week has been surprisingly quiet, so hopefully we see lots of movement in the next few days.
You would think that starting tomorrow, being the Wednesday before July 15th, the unofficial "halfway mark," that we will see a flood of decisions until about the first week of August. I would guess that tomorrow would be the beginning of this rush......but maybe they're waiting until July 30th lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:42 am

traydeuce wrote:^^ I'm just an ordinary guy in the top of my class, I don't feel entitled to anything. I don't really think entitled is the word you're looking for; maybe you mean arrogance. Entitled is, like, the one girl who went to Princeton in your t40 school thinking that she'll get a great job, outrank everyone, etc. because she went to Princeton. Arrogance is the baked goods kerfuffle. Now I'll admit to being kind of full of myself, though I prefer to think I'm just an honest judge of my work - it was, actually, a really good exam, there was nothing else I could add, might as well go buy some baked goods - but I don't feel that anything's coming to me. Should I not get in places, I'll be surprised, but I won't question the fairness of the outcome.
No, I actually started to write this in another thread but decided I didn't care enough to weigh in - I think your behavior is a bit over the top, and you'll at some point be humbled considerably, but I don't see you as being entitled at all. I actually see a lot of myself in your confidence; I just tend towards less demonstrative means of expressing it, probably because while I'm supremely confident in my mental acuity I think my choice of schools alone demonstrates a lack of common sense in some departments.

This isn't a dig, to be clear. Just an observation. I think people went a little apeshit over the ill-advised anecdote above.

selfloathingtransfer

Bronze

Post by selfloathingtransfer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 am

When I clicked this, I expected to be rickrolled. The result wasn't really any better.

Confidence is great. Arrogance is irritating. Humility is great.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

selfloathingtransfer wrote:
When I clicked this, I expected to be rickrolled. The result wasn't really any better.

Confidence is great. Arrogance is irritating. Humility is great.
Don't you ever, ever talk about Annie like that. You leave Annie ALONE.

mmribail

New

Post by mmribail » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:37 am

From T-4 (TSU)

keep your head up people. i just received both bad news and good news today. I was accepted at texas tech but rejected at u of h law center I thought I had fairly decent states to get into a 59 ranked school...(i was top 12% with military experience and a urm). nothing should be taken for granted; it still isn't completely too late. some schools i think have a july 15 deadline... now is a good time to start looking at some safety schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wolverine21

New

Post by Wolverine21 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:27 am

Hey everyone,

I applied anywhere from late May to late June and have not heard a thing (acceptance or rejection) from any of the prospective schools. I applied to a scattering of T14 schools (Columbia thru Georgetown) and Fordham and went complete at all schools by July 1, even though class ranks did not come out until July 7 (which I sent out, along with an updated resume that day).

A couple theories:

1. Coming from a T3 (Top 2%), I may have over shot and applied to schools that I have a weak chance of getting into and thus, I am not getting accepted and waiting on rejections.

2. Coming from a T3, I would be considered a “risk” student during the acceptance period and admissions committees are waiting to see how many offers are being accepted until they offer people with comparable stats a spot.
3. Even though I was complete and/or under review at all schools in late June, ad coms are waiting on class rank letters (although I did attached to my apps last years class rank numbers).

FWIW, previous transfers from my T3 school have successfully transferred to Northwestern, Michigan, and Georgetown. I am pretty level headed and have been busy working this summer so the wait hasn’t bothered me. Further, I don’t mind staying at my T3 school, I just wanted to send some apps out to see if schools would bite.

jlockhart6

Bronze

Post by jlockhart6 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:31 am

Wolverine21 wrote:Hey everyone,

I applied anywhere from late May to late June and have not heard a thing (acceptance or rejection) from any of the prospective schools. I applied to a scattering of T14 schools (Columbia thru Georgetown) and Fordham and went complete at all schools by July 1, even though class ranks did not come out until July 7 (which I sent out, along with an updated resume that day).

A couple theories:

1. Coming from a T3 (Top 2%), I may have over shot and applied to schools that I have a weak chance of getting into and thus, I am not getting accepted and waiting on rejections.

2. Coming from a T3, I would be considered a “risk” student during the acceptance period and admissions committees are waiting to see how many offers are being accepted until they offer people with comparable stats a spot.
3. Even though I was complete and/or under review at all schools in late June, ad coms are waiting on class rank letters (although I did attached to my apps last years class rank numbers).

FWIW, previous transfers from my T3 school have successfully transferred to Northwestern, Michigan, and Georgetown. I am pretty level headed and have been busy working this summer so the wait hasn’t bothered me. Further, I don’t mind staying at my T3 school, I just wanted to send some apps out to see if schools would bite.
I would definitely go with your third theory, I am sure they are just waiting to see your rank (especially if the school is unfamiliar with your tier 3), I am also coming from a tier 3 with the same % as you and was accepted in late June to both Georgetown and Michigan (attending Michigan - withdrew all other apps). You have good numbers, I would say you are hardly a risk. You should be hearing back in the next couple of weeks I would imagine with your rank being released, I would imagine at least one of the schools you applied to will bite. Goodluck!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

jlockhart6 wrote:
Wolverine21 wrote:Hey everyone,

A couple theories:

I would definitely go with your third theory, I am sure they are just waiting to see your rank (especially if the school is unfamiliar with your tier 3), I am also coming from a tier 3 with the same % as you and was accepted in late June to both Georgetown and Michigan (attending Michigan - withdrew all other apps). You have good numbers, I would say you are hardly a risk. You should be hearing back in the next couple of weeks I would imagine with your rank being released, I would imagine at least one of the schools you applied to will bite. Goodluck!
above is credited. i went t4 --> t10 and everything happened as soon as i sent my grades / rank in for 2nd semester.

Wolverine21

New

Post by Wolverine21 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for the input guys.

Jlockhart: I also applied to Michigan. I went there for undergrad and graduated in 09. Congrats on getting accepted! Ann Arbor is a great city and if you go there you will be pleased with your decision. Let me know if you have any questions concerning housing, travel, bars, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

selfloathingtransfer

Bronze

Post by selfloathingtransfer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Yeah, we've seen a top 6%-7% from T4 get into GULC this cycle. You have great chances, but this is unpredictable, so stick w/ you're whole "the wait isn't bothering me" outlook.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:25 pm

mmribail wrote:From T-4 (TSU)

keep your head up people. i just received both bad news and good news today. I was accepted at texas tech but rejected at u of h law center I thought I had fairly decent states to get into a 59 ranked school...(i was top 12% with military experience and a urm). nothing should be taken for granted; it still isn't completely too late. some schools i think have a july 15 deadline... now is a good time to start looking at some safety schools.
Sorry to hear about U of H. I really thought you would make it in.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:53 pm

To put things in perspective, I just want to point out that the majority of people worrying in this thread are better situated than 90% of law students out there if they remain where they're at. Chin up and a bottle of 12 year, me buccos.

documentaryjunkie

New

Post by documentaryjunkie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:01 am

CMR wrote:To put things in perspective, I just want to point out that the majority of people worrying in this thread are better situated than 90% of law students out there if they remain where they're at. Chin up and a bottle of 12 year, me buccos.
true words of wisdom!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 am

CMR wrote:To put things in perspective, I just want to point out that the majority of people worrying in this thread are better situated than 90% of law students out there if they remain where they're at. Chin up and a bottle of 12 year, me buccos.
For realz. I don't want to go there just yet, but I've started accepting the fact that I will be back at my t3 this next year. While that SUCKS b/c I hate the school, I like the area and we have a good setup there. Lawyers at my firm don't even understand why I want to transfer and say that t3 will do me just fine in my target market. While I think such optimism may be a little high based on the crappy rep. of my school, I'm pretty sure my grades provide me enough clout to land something in my target market. Plus, I'd be saving quite a bit of $. I'm not too concerned about the $, but still, at least there's that.

I don't want this to sound like I'm trying to convince myself that staying is good (although I often contemplate just going back regardless of where I'm accepted......then I come to my senses :) ) and I will be pretty dang disappointed, but I'm still in a great position and I am very blessed regardless. I AM going crazy though! A'nold: :shock:

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:57 am

A'nold, at this point - I think the auto-admits have been admitted, so I wouldn't be too quick to jump to any conclusions just because you're not an auto admit at a t25, or whatever your goal is.

This is like November or December in the regular cycle, we've got some ways to go, you'll be fine.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:53 pm

A'nold wrote:
For realz. I don't want to go there just yet, but I've started accepting the fact that I will be back at my t3 this next year. While that SUCKS b/c I hate the school, I like the area and we have a good setup there. Lawyers at my firm don't even understand why I want to transfer and say that t3 will do me just fine in my target market. While I think such optimism may be a little high based on the crappy rep. of my school, I'm pretty sure my grades provide me enough clout to land something in my target market. Plus, I'd be saving quite a bit of $. I'm not too concerned about the $, but still, at least there's that.

I don't want this to sound like I'm trying to convince myself that staying is good (although I often contemplate just going back regardless of where I'm accepted......then I come to my senses :) ) and I will be pretty dang disappointed, but I'm still in a great position and I am very blessed regardless. I AM going crazy though! A'nold: :shock:
Just treat it like a game. A game where you kick ass in the classroom for 2L and 3L and graduate first in your class.

DeseoQueSea

New

Post by DeseoQueSea » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:02 pm

My current school only ranks top 10%, then top 33% and then top 50%. I just missed the top 10% cutoff, but I'm worried I'll be indistinguishable from those at the bottom of the top 33%, at least at first glance. anyone else in this situation?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”