The "In Nowhere" Club Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

Re: The "In Nowhere" Club

Post by A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:50 pm

joobacca wrote:i would poo in his sandwhich. that is so dick... dude has to know the consequences of this to his students... sorry to hear man.
Funny thing about this professor: he actually takes pride in his reputation as a dick. He relishes it; talks about it all the time. I checked his "rate my professor.com" profile and there were 50+ posts (and I go to a very small and unknown school) through the years about how basically students wish he would just die.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Hey A'nold!

Sorry for the lame intro, but I had to pay homage to one of the best Nickelodeon cartoons of all time. Anyway, I just wanted to say that section stacking + curve differential = absurdity. All of the devil's advocates in this thread seem to be looking for an excuse to trash TTT schools. It's pretty off-putting, and IMO completely obvious. Don't feed the trolls.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:58 pm

seespotrun wrote:Hey A'nold!

Sorry for the lame intro, but I had to pay homage to one of the best Nickelodeon cartoons of all time. Anyway, I just wanted to say that section stacking + curve differential = absurdity. All of the devil's advocates in this thread seem to be looking for an excuse to trash TTT schools. It's pretty off-putting, and IMO completely obvious. Don't feed the trolls.
Thanks man. That is actually a huge relief to hear from a well-known poster that the combo is absolutely criminal. It boggles my mind that people keep arguing w/ me about this.

If what others are really trying to say is, "that's what you get for going to a ttt" well I guess that's their opinion. I gave up a UConn acceptance with an in-state tuition waiver b/c of financial/family reasons and I absolutely could not wait another year (not a choice, I mean I really could not wait) for various reasons. I'm just trying to play the cards that I was dealt. I never meant to argue with anyone or come across as "whiny."

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:33 pm

That is actually a huge relief to hear from a well-known poster that the combo is absolutely criminal.
If differential curves and stacked sections are absolutely (and objectively) "criminal", then why do you need to troll for this kind of verification and consolation from TLS posters? Why wouldn't absolute "criminal[ity]" speak for itself?

I don't know your school, but I'm going to take your complaint with a grain of salt--or, really, the whole salt shaker. Why? Because a) seemingly 'stacked' sections are a part of top-law-schools.com, and b) you have demonstrated nothing to discount the word of your school administrators that the differential curves are entirely coincidental, and up to the professor.

For all we know, the differential curves may reflect the relative performance of each section in the professors' eyes. For all we know, simply fewer people deserved A's and more deserved B+s. As long as within each class, you were graded fairly vis-a-vis your classmates, then you have nothing to complain about. Luck of the draw. S*** happens. That's life.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:49 pm

prncaspian3 wrote:
That is actually a huge relief to hear from a well-known poster that the combo is absolutely criminal.
If differential curves and stacked sections are absolutely (and objectively) "criminal", then why do you need to troll for this kind of verification and consolation from TLS posters? Why wouldn't absolute "criminal[ity]" speak for itself?

I don't know your school, but I'm going to take your complaint with a grain of salt--or, really, the whole salt shaker. Why? Because a) seemingly 'stacked' sections are a part of top-law-schools.com, and b) you have demonstrated nothing to discount the word of your school administrators that the differential curves are entirely coincidental, and up to the professor.

For all we know, the differential curves may reflect the relative performance of each section in the professors' eyes. For all we know, simply fewer people deserved A's and more deserved B+s. As long as within each class, you were graded fairly vis-a-vis your classmates, then you have nothing to complain about. Luck of the draw. S*** happens. That's life.
Hi, my name is reality, I hope to meet you some day.

You obviously have no idea how curves work. Professors PRE-DETERMINE the curve. My professors will give out 1 A, 2 A-'s, etc. Period. There's no "more people deserved B+'s" than in the other section. Another one of convicted's alts, perhaps?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Oh, I know how curves work. And I also know that the reality of law school tends to accommodate shades of gray, rather than the "absolutely criminal." (<---Unless we're talking CrimLaw, or the recently departed--from TLS, that is--Convict.)

My point remains that neither we, nor you, know how or why each professor determined the class curve. Ideally, should all professors be operating on the same curve, with the resulting grades reflecting that curve? Yes. But again, professors may decide their grades and effectively alter the curve based on the perceived performance of their class--and especially if sections are 'stacked' or sub-par in the professors' eyes.

Welcome to reality, where something called "nuance" abounds and not every law school horror story is the product of absolute criminality.
Last edited by prncaspian3 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:15 pm

A'nold wrote:
prncaspian3 wrote:

You obviously have no idea how curves work. Professors PRE-DETERMINE the curve. My professors will give out 1 A, 2 A-'s, etc. Period. There's no "more people deserved B+'s" than in the other section. Another one of convicted's alts, perhaps?
Having followed this thread from the sidelines, I can't believe this is still going. Dude, you had a rotten deal with the curve discrepancy between sections. That definitely sucks. Nonetheless, what's done is done and there's no sense in going further out of your way to explain yourself to a bunch of strangers here. My advice for whatever it's worth is to hang in there. You had a great first year and are probably looking at at least one or two acceptances somewhere. In the meantime, stop bickering with people about how unjust your situation was and keep your head up.

P.S. One thing I've been a little curious about is why you keep mentioning passing up going to UConn to everyone for financial reasons yet now are perfectly able and happy to pay sticker at other schools.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:21 pm

It definitely blows me away what some schools do vs. others. I got worried so I did some digging regarding the sections at my soon to be school and found that the primary way they section off 1Ls is by, get this, zip code. Their concern was carpooling above all else. I guess that is as random as it gets.

A'nold, you got a rotten hand to be sure but I'm sure things will work out well for you. I'm pulling for you, man.

CRizzy141

New

Post by CRizzy141 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:30 pm

This thread needs to die. Someone put it down. Cruelly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:36 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
A'nold wrote:
prncaspian3 wrote:

Having followed this thread from the sidelines, I can't believe this is still going. Dude, you had a rotten deal with the curve discrepancy between sections. That definitely sucks. Nonetheless, what's done is done and there's no sense in going further out of your way to explain yourself to a bunch of strangers here. My advice for whatever it's worth is to hang in there. You had a great first year and are probably looking at at least one or two acceptances somewhere. In the meantime, stop bickering with people about how unjust your situation was and keep your head up.

P.S. One thing I've been a little curious about is why you keep mentioning passing up going to UConn to everyone for financial reasons yet now are perfectly able and happy to pay sticker at other schools.
Ahhhh! This thread will be the death of me.

1. I keep TRYING to say that I am moving on, and all is good until someone comes on here and says, "zomgz, you winin' sooooo much, get a life man, it'z all fair and you a companr!" I can't help but to try to set the record straight.
2. Financial reasons were very complicated whereas now I qualify for the loans I need. It was all about loans.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:49 pm

I see where you're coming from, but it only seems to be feeding the fire. Either way, good luck and hope things turn out well.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:54 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:I see where you're coming from, but it only seems to be feeding the fire. Either way, good luck and hope things turn out well.
I know! That's why I'm so pissed off. I keep getting pulled into the hell that is now this thread, haha.

Anyway, thread = officially back on track:

I have yet to hear from anyone but my rejection to Duke. Bring it! 8) :)

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 pm

i think this week will bring at least one acceptance for you, a'nold (wouldn't mind it bringing one for me, too) :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:04 pm

sanpiero wrote:i think this week will bring at least one acceptance for you, a'nold (wouldn't mind it bringing one for me, too) :D
See, this is what this thread is all about. Sanpiero and I need big money, big money. :) Good luck to you too this week man.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:26 am

I can't believe posters keep trying to set A'nold back to reality. STFU. We'll see how most of you do after 1L because it's evident that most of you fuckers are 0L's. STFU and GTFO.

"Fairness doesn't matter because TTT students should know what they have coming for them!" What a tired-ass, ridiculous argument. Honestly, some posters ITT need to reevaluate their goals or whatever motivated them to enter the profession. A'nold isn't "whining," and if he was, he was rightfully doing so.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 am

seespotrun wrote:I can't believe posters keep trying to set A'nold back to reality. STFU. We'll see how most of you do after 1L because it's evident that most of you fuckers are 0L's. STFU and GTFO.

"Fairness doesn't matter because TTT students should know what they have coming for them!" What a tired-ass, ridiculous argument. Honestly, some posters ITT need to reevaluate their goals or whatever motivated them to enter the profession. A'nold isn't "whining," and if he was, he was rightfully doing so.
Thanks again seespotrun. Your levelheadedness is much appreciated. It's like I'm talking right past half of the posters in this thread. I'm pretty sure I've been speaking english, but I almost had to double-check, haha.

I think what spurred this whole thing was some side statement where I said something like "due to my grading situation at my school." I've never randomly come on here to complain. Peeps called me out for unfounded reasons.

Anyway, anyone else still drawing a blank on transfer apps?

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:15 am

I can't believe posters keep trying to set A'nold back to reality. STFU. We'll see how most of you do after 1L because it's evident that most of you fuckers are 0L's. STFU and GTFO.

Yup, after all, why should setting someone back to reality matter at all? Reality is apparently overrated in your world, especially since I'm pretty confident most posters here are...ahem...1Ls given that they are in the whole "Transfers" section of the site. The above argument is ridiculous indeed, but you're using it as a straw-man here. The skirmishes in this unfortunate thread involved multiple things, including insensitive comments by A'nold, as well as his complaining (a synonym will have to do) about a) perceived stacking of sections, and b) perceived "absolute criminality" for differential curves as well.

And in response to A'nold:
I think what spurred this whole thing was some side statement where I said something like "due to my grading situation at my school." I've never randomly come on here to complain. Peeps called me out for unfounded reasons.
You certainly didn't treat that grading situation as a mere "side statement" above. And what do you mean you've never randomly come on here to complain? Ok, another synonym? You fret. As seen above. As seen in the idea for this thread itself--what good can come out of talking about the fact that some of us have not heard back yet from schools? Especially when...most schools haven't even rendered decisions?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:24 am

prncaspian3 wrote:

Yup, after all, why should setting someone back to reality matter at all? Reality is apparently overrated in your world, especially since I'm pretty confident most posters here are...ahem...1Ls given that they are in the whole "Transfers" section of the site. The above argument is ridiculous indeed, but you're using it as a straw-man here. The skirmishes in this unfortunate thread involved multiple things, including insensitive comments by A'nold, as well as his complaining (a synonym will have to do) about a) perceived stacking of sections, and b) perceived "absolute criminality" for differential curves as well.

You certainly didn't treat that grading situation as a mere "side statement" above. And what do you mean you've never randomly come on here to complain? Ok, another synonym? You fret. As seen above. As seen in the idea for this thread itself--what good can come out of talking about the fact that some of us have not heard back yet from schools? Especially when...most schools haven't even rendered decisions?
Obvious troll is obvious.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:11 am

lol wow this thread is still alive?
Fwiw, my buddy got into washu this week from a 50-70 ranked school Barely top 1/3.
Im sure you will get in somewhere.

A'nold wrote:
prncaspian3 wrote:

Obvious troll is obvious.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:32 am

why did you quote all of that? It had no relevance to your post...just clogging up the interweb tubes

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:20 am

GATORTIM wrote:why did you quote all of that? It had no relevance to your post...just clogging up the interweb tubes
--ImageRemoved--

on topic: I heard from American last week, but otherwise it has been an eery silence...so much for "you should hear by early next week, late next week at the latest" from GW

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:42 pm

Edited for double post.
Last edited by seespotrun on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:42 pm

prncaspian3 wrote:

In the context of my post it's pretty clear that I was using the word "reality" sarcastically. However, reality (in its literal sense for the contextually impaired) will reveal that 0L's wander into about 1 out of every 3 of these Transfer threads.

I too waded through the skirmishes of this thread, and I'm not disagreeing with your position that A'nold has failed to prove with absolute certainty that his sections are stacked and that the curve differential is not indicative of his section's performance. However, he's given enough information for me to conclude that he's gotten the rawer end of any law school grading situation that I've ever heard of. This point, however, is irrelevant to my above rant-styled post and to the arguments that motivated it. Earlier in the thread posters were assuming his predicament as true and arguing the merits of his school's alleged grading system. I'd like to avoid rebutting their arguments and conclusions in an effort to put that substantive issue to rest.

However, I won't avoid calling your bullshit. I'll elaborate: A'nold didn't make a rant thread about getting screwed by his grading system. This whole discussion arose after someone called him out for mentioning that his school's grading system was "screwy," so he clarified. Despite your contention, it was a mere "side-statement" in the larger context of the thread and in one of his original posts. Any reasonable person who's read the entire thread would likely agree that taking jabs at A'nold for complaining ITT is, at best, misplaced. But at any rate A'nold was, at worst, venting his justified frustration and anxiety stemming from his transfer cycle. The thread's title and original post seem to clearly indicate that this was the purpose of the thread. So at the end of the day, A'nold was only guilty of creating an on-topic thread in the Transfers forum looking for support from those going through the process, and perhaps venting therapeutically about the way things are.

But for you to grind A'nold for complaining or fretting and to argue semantics in the way that you have is nothing short of hypocrisy. I've read your posts in a transfer thread where you "fretted" (as much as A'nold did ITT) about your chronic illness during UG. You posted something to the effect: "If not for my chronic illness, I'd already be at a T14. Because students as talented as myself wind up at T40 schools, an application from a student at the top of the class at a T40 should be taken just as seriously as one from a T20 on down." Nobody called you out on your logic or dubbed you a complainer probably because most were sympathetic to the effects your illness had on your education. But the assumptions you made in reaching your conclusions were no greater than the ones A'nold offered in support of his "screwy" grading situation, and the justifications he provided for his frustrating transfer cycle were no less quantifiable than the justifications you gave for your disappointing application cycle. So maybe tone down the douchiness is TCR? If you want to continue being a douche, at least make sure that you're coming to the table with clean hands.

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:56 pm

But for you to grind A'nold for complaining or fretting and to argue semantics in the way that you have is nothing short of hypocrisy. I've read your posts in a transfer thread where you "fretted" (as much as A'nold did ITT) about your chronic illness during UG. You posted something to the effect: "If not for my chronic illness, I'd already be at a T14. Because students as talented as myself wind up at T40 schools, an application from a student at the top of the class at a T40 should be taken just as seriously as one from a T20 on down." Nobody called you out on your logic or dubbed you a complainer probably because most were sympathetic to the effects your illness had on your education. But the assumptions you made in reaching your conclusions were no greater than the ones A'nold offered in support of his "screwy" grading situation, and the justifications he provided for his frustrating transfer cycle were no less quantifiable than the justifications you gave for your disappointing application cycle. So maybe tone down the douchiness is TCR? If you want to continue being a douche, at least make sure that you're coming to the table with clean hands

First, I do think context is important. I didn't go into elaborate detail about my illness. I made my point in the context of that thread--yes, vented my frustration--and moved on. It's one thing to cherry-pick one of my posts; and another to observe an entire pattern of behavior that pervades this thread and others. Of course I have 'fretted' about that, but I'm not exactly a 'fretter' or instigator.

And second, even considering my previous post, chronic illness isn't quite analogous to a 'screwy' grading situation, as unfortunate as the latter really is. Frankly, screwy grading situations are not only more common, but they are also more prone to ambiguity. If A'nolds professors operated on differential curves, which they pre-determined without regard to the relative perceived strength of the class (do we know this?), then his situation is screwy indeed. Either way, I sympathize with that situation. Others here have expressed sympathy as well for A'nold, for this and many other issues he has expressed. But at some point, you do accept the cards you were dealt--and unless the school takes action after your complaint, which here it has not--you have to move on.

I accept my cards, but my issue has been how to present it to Admissions. In A'nolds case, if he were to notify them about 'stacked' sections and differential curves (and I would say avoid it), then he would need to artfully and succinctly mention the school's policy of allowing each professor to curve classes to his/her own liking--NOT, "and therefore, my grades suffered compared to the other applicants you get." But in my case, it's something they need to know, no two ways about it. Either way, I haven't really been dwelling on it, and I haven't really gone the extra
mile to draw new sympathizers.

I do appreciate your reasoned response (as opposed to the previous STFU), but I take issue with your drudging up my own (isolated) concern to draw a moral/practical equivalence with A'nolds overall conduct here.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:05 pm

Man, this thread had so much potential...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”