Duke Transfers!! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
samiseaborn

Bronze

Re: Duke Transfers!!

Post by samiseaborn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Still says incomplete as of 6/23.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:41 pm

samiseaborn wrote:Still says incomplete as of 6/23.
Me too. They told me last week or so that they still hadn't received my LOS - every other school received it weeks ago and they were all sent out the same day. Who knows.

I lied. Complete and submitted for review via status checker today.

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Has anyone heard from the past how they notify you of the decision? Email, phone call, mail etc?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

documentaryjunkie

New

Post by documentaryjunkie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:33 pm

File complete and submitted for review. Now comes the worst part... waiting :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:40 pm

oh, I retract my earlier post. File complete!

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Does it seem to anyone else like Duke isn't as popular a transfer school as others? This forum isn't quite as busy as I anticipated it would be, and there's rarely a mention of Duke on the official transfer 2010 thread. thoughts?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Yes, Duke is a less popular transfer destination than many other schools. I suspect it's because Georgetown gets so many acceptances early, and picking Duke over Georgetown seems (to some) like splitting hairs, or just plain wrong. Same's the case for Cornell. That said, I'd be happy to lose my Georgetown spot for Duke. I mean, I think I'd be happy to. It does seem a little backwards considering that my whole goal in life is to be a DC appellate litigator; nevertheless, it'd be nice to go back to Duke (where I went to college).

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:04 am

traydeuce wrote:Yes, Duke is a less popular transfer destination than many other schools. I suspect it's because Georgetown gets so many acceptances early, and picking Duke over Georgetown seems (to some) like splitting hairs, or just plain wrong. Same's the case for Cornell. That said, I'd be happy to lose my Georgetown spot for Duke. I mean, I think I'd be happy to. It does seem a little backwards considering that my whole goal in life is to be a DC appellate litigator; nevertheless, it'd be nice to go back to Duke (where I went to college).
I don't know about you, 32...
traydeuce wrote:Makes you think I should go into this admissions business. Actually, I don't even want to be a lawyer, much less a law adcomm.
:?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:43 am

sarahmargret wrote:Does it seem to anyone else like Duke isn't as popular a transfer school as others? This forum isn't quite as busy as I anticipated it would be, and there's rarely a mention of Duke on the official transfer 2010 thread. thoughts?
Duke takes significantly less transfers than Georgetown/NYU/Mich...

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:37 am

Yeah, I want to be an appellate litigator and then quit law. I really find the whole profession dreadfully dull, but that's the only sort of thing I could even begin to bear to practice. I used to be much more entusiastic about it.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:48 am

traydeuce wrote:Yeah, I want to be an appellate litigator and then quit law. I really find the whole profession dreadfully dull, but that's the only sort of thing I could even begin to bear to practice. I used to be much more entusiastic about it.
Maybe your transfer will spark up some enthusiasm.

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:52 pm

has anyone heard anything at all from duke since going complete? any ideas as to when things should start picking up? i'm dying...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iheartlaw

Bronze

Post by iheartlaw » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Application sent in 7/1. Complete today on 7/9! High T2 top 5%.

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:36 pm

any news?!?!?

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Did duke email you when you became complete? I never got a status checker email...

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I had received an email that LSDA's hadn't released my report and thus I was incomplete - when the report was released I got an email confirming my application was complete and ready for review (that was last Wednesday).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:59 pm

I was interviewed last week. Duke is narrowing it down to Interviewees at this point, and I'm guessing its possible some might not have heard (although I'm sure you would hear by tomorrow/Wed, because all decisions WILL be out by Friday.) I was told on my interview last week this cycle is VERY competitive, because they overenrolled their 2L class by 18 (and they normally take 15 transfers!). So this cycle, they are taking HALF the usual number (~7-8, but probably 15 offers), and are interviewing two to three times the number of applicants they will give offers to.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:03 pm

They interview? I'm still incomplete.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 pm

prncaspian3 wrote:I was interviewed last week. Duke is narrowing it down to Interviewees at this point, and I'm guessing its possible some might not have heard (although I'm sure you would hear by tomorrow/Wed, because all decisions WILL be out by Friday.) I was told on my interview last week this cycle is VERY competitive, because they overenrolled their 2L class by 18 (and they normally take 15 transfers!). So this cycle, they are taking HALF the usual number (~7-8, but probably 15 offers), and are interviewing two to three times the number of applicants they will give offers to.
With deadlines coming up and deposits, etc., I am surprised they are doing this. Looks like I won't be going- wish i woulda saved that app fee too.

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:11 pm

stinger35 wrote:
prncaspian3 wrote:I was interviewed last week. Duke is narrowing it down to Interviewees at this point, and I'm guessing its possible some might not have heard (although I'm sure you would hear by tomorrow/Wed, because all decisions WILL be out by Friday.) I was told on my interview last week this cycle is VERY competitive, because they overenrolled their 2L class by 18 (and they normally take 15 transfers!). So this cycle, they are taking HALF the usual number (~7-8, but probably 15 offers), and are interviewing two to three times the number of applicants they will give offers to.
With deadlines coming up and deposits, etc., I am surprised they are doing this. Looks like I won't be going- wish i woulda saved that app fee too.
How did you get asked for an interview? If they don't contact you for an interview does that mean you're definitely out? I never heard they were doing interviews at all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

prncaspian3

New

Post by prncaspian3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:22 pm

This is from the e-mail last week:
We have completed our initial review, and as we conclude our evaluation, I would like to invite you to participate in an interview so that we can learn more about your experiences and interest in Duke.
I can't tell for sure if all would have been interviewed, so I'm sorry to lead you down that road, but I assumed it. Either way keep holding out hope.

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

thanks for the info!! any other insight you can provide at all would be soo greatly appreciated! are you in state or did you have to travel for the interview?

i met w/ ebony bryant in april, so technically they've already "met" me... oh who knows

sarahmargret

New

Post by sarahmargret » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 am

My file status changed (last update date was 7/7) - it previously said "File complete, ready for review" now it says "File under review" with the date changed to today (7/13)

Anyone else?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:54 am

Mine is "File under review" as of 7/6.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”