stupid for not trying to transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
matty

Bronze

stupid for not trying to transfer?

Post by matty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 am

So after 1L year I finished in the top 5% (judging by the range, more like top 2-3%) at a pretty well-regarded top 30. On the one hand, I'm happy where I am. I like the school, professors, and people. I'm obviously doing fine academically. I'm on 3/4 scholarship and extremely debt averse. And yet, there's still a nagging feeling that I should transfer, just because I have the opportunity. It's getting late I know, but there's still time to apply to some T10's like Columbia. Any advice? I guess my dream job in law would be to go into academia. In light of that, am I really doing myself a disservice by not transferring? (and again, the debt from one of those schools scares the shit out of me)
- forgot to add that I graded on to Law Review, so there's that too.
Last edited by matty on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Columbia Law

Bronze

Re: stupid for not trying to transfer?

Post by Columbia Law » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:43 am

Not at all. In your situation, you are doing pretty good.

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:43 am

I'm in a similar situation but an not transferring. I do not think you are stupid for not transferring as not having debt or little debt is huge in this economy and the uncertainty in the legal field.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:48 am

Wow, congrats Matty, looks like TLS really made out this year.

I am not sure if transferring is necessarily your best option, especially if you are happy with where you are, it seems you are in prime position to get a good job out of OCI. If I were you I would throw an application at HYS, though, especially if you are highly interested in academia.

Also, +1 on the comment about being safe in this economy; it doesn't seem that there is certainty anywhere, and having less debt to burden you in your job search will likely be helpful. Best of luck whatever happens!

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 am

thanks for the replies, guys. I have to think my heretofore complacency about the transfer process means, to some extent, that it's not really something I want very badly. The one hang-up I have is that credentials are, well almost everything in the field of academia. But I trust I can make it happen from where I am if I want it bad enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

matty wrote:heretofore
man, just when i was starting to like you, matty

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 pm

sanpiero wrote:
matty wrote:heretofore
man, just when i was starting to like you, matty
Damn, I cultivate a flawless record of 3,026 posts and blow it on something like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”